Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:19:34 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 151
Author Topic: Reading anything?  (Read 742987 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #195 on: July 26, 2009, 03:53:19 PM »

it was an incredibly strange movie. not strange like abstract or surreal, strange like it's about a woman who is sexually dominated by her computerized house, sorry for the slight spoil

Apparently, the story was heavily altered for the movie. The original book was set in a future where artificial intelligence was already commonplace, and had only two characters, Proteus and a rich, reclusive woman living alone in an automated house. Proteus accesses the house from a nearby university, and sets about terrorizing this woman as he learns more about what makes her tick. There's the same plan to impregnate her, but it's apparently more about breeding an improved human race than about the poor computer wanting to feel the sun on his face. The husband, the backstory, all the stuff about proteus rebelling against its creators, all added later. The book is apparently just a battle of wits between a woman and a computer.

Koontz himself rewrote the book a few years back, telling the story from the computer's point of view, and turning it into something of an allegory on the objectification of women.

Haven't read either book, although I've seen the movie a few times. I should actually give both versions a try.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #196 on: July 26, 2009, 05:50:21 PM »

Did you like the movie?  I thought it was pretty awesome and pretty edgy for a movie that normal people went and saw
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #197 on: July 27, 2009, 08:14:20 AM »

AndyC: keep trying; 'IT' indeed is very much more than an evil-clown-in-a-sewer.

I just finished "Unidentified" by Matthew Costello.  Quantum physics, evil incursions from the multiverses...nicely creepy, if perhaps a bit too understated, all considered.  I cannot shake the impression that I have seen the final chapters as film/TV somewhere.  I have not found reference to anything being made based on the book - it seems to have been pretty minor in impact - but the scenes I am recalling are annoyingly persistent.  Arrgh!

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #198 on: July 27, 2009, 05:31:39 PM »

Did you like the movie?  I thought it was pretty awesome and pretty edgy for a movie that normal people went and saw

I liked it. It's one of those dark, intelligent (if slightly cheesy), high-concept sci-fi films that were practically a genre in their own right in the 70s. It's the sort of movie I'd watch anytime it happened to be on TV when I was a kid.

---------------------
3mnkids

« Reply #199 on: August 01, 2009, 11:14:54 AM »

The family~ Jeff Sharlet     Buggedout   

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #200 on: August 01, 2009, 01:54:56 PM »

About to dive into "A Clockwork Orange" by Anthony Burgess.  Wish me luck.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #201 on: August 01, 2009, 01:56:32 PM »

About to dive into "A Clockwork Orange" by Anthony Burgess.  Wish me luck.

Good luck  Thumbup

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #202 on: August 02, 2009, 09:04:45 AM »

AndyC: keep trying; 'IT' indeed is very much more than an evil-clown-in-a-sewer.

I'm well into the adult Losers' exploration of Derry. King does an amazing job of conveying that feeling of returning to your hometown after many years. It's a different town, but still familiar, and the combination can be kind of disturbing. I feel it when I visit my hometown, so it really strikes a chord.

---------------------
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #203 on: August 02, 2009, 02:06:24 PM »

I'm about halfway through a biography of William Lloyd Garrison, the famous American abolitionist, entitled ALL ON FIRE.  It's a pretty good read.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #204 on: August 03, 2009, 06:44:20 PM »

I'm currently reading the UFO ENIGMA : A new Review of the Evidence by Prof.Peter Sturrock. No sensationalism here-but a scientific study of the evidence...it's fascinating!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #205 on: August 04, 2009, 11:30:45 AM »

I just read and would recommend "The stewardess is flying the plane!!"  about 70's movies. mainly lots and lots of really great pics and trivia

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #206 on: August 08, 2009, 09:22:44 AM »

various defences of market anarchy  ("won't the mafia take over?")
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #207 on: August 08, 2009, 09:29:55 AM »

One of my faves ! Thumbup

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #208 on: August 08, 2009, 10:21:25 AM »

doggett- that looks awesome
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #209 on: August 08, 2009, 02:37:38 PM »

I've been reading The Club Dumas by Arturo Perez-Reverte. Its the book that The Ninth Gate was based on, although the film cut out most of the stuff about Dumas and the Three Musketeers. The more I read, the more I want to start an Antiquarian book library of my own (yeah right, I can barely afford to spend 20 bucks on a new book, and thats on a good week). The closest I've come is having some reprints of old grimiores. The insides are nice to look at, but the cheap paperback bindings are no substitute for gilded leather.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 02:40:31 PM by Fausto » Logged

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 151
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.