Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:01:48 AM
714229 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 151
Author Topic: Reading anything?  (Read 746304 times)
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #420 on: March 12, 2010, 05:48:32 PM »

Yes.

"Emma."

But this is not Jane Austen's "Emma," but Karou Mori's "Emma."

Time: the 1870s and 1890s

Place: London and the surrounding countryside. With side trips to America and India.

A story about the social divide between the upper and lower classes.

Thus, a little bit Romeo. A little bit Juliet. And the characters are very Dickensian.

One of the neatest things about this story is all the neat information it. For example, not only did the people of that time and place divide along the lines of upper and lower, but they also divided along the following lines.

Servants and servants. Even the servants had a pecking order.
The rich and the poor.
Public school and non-public school.
Parents and children.
Older siblings and younger siblings.
The old and the young.
Mothers and daughters
Men and women.
Masters and servants.
Locals and non-locals.
Husbands and wives.
Fathers and sons.
English and non-English.
City and country.
Aristocracy and non-aristocracy.

If we had been communicating in that time and place, we'd have to communicate through an ouija board, as the average life expectancy was only 50, so I'd have been dead for almost a decade.

Maybe the life expectancy was so low, because the average banquet consisted of . . .

seaturtle soup
followed by . . .
lobster and flounder in orange sauce
followed by . ..
chicken topped with supreme truffle
followed by . . .
pureed snow grouse
followed by . . .
roast duck
bollowed by black thrush
and topped off by a rich souffle.

All washed down by glasses of port, hoch, claret, sherry, and madera.

And, of yes, throw up afterwards.

The story was firs serialized in a Japanese magazine betwee 2002 and 2006. Then it was translated into  English and published in 7 volumesbetween 2006 and 2008, which is how I read it.

There is also 3 more volumes in the magna series of side stories dealing with some of the side characters in the first 7 volumes. The authoress also has another magna series called "Shirley" of stories about other English maids None of which I've read.

But, if you want to read a story that realistically depicts that time and place, "Emma" is that realistic depiction.

Next time: "The Indiana Jones Omnibus"

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #421 on: March 13, 2010, 01:32:48 PM »

I just finished Red Tide by G.M. Ford. It was quite an involving book as we follow several different characters in Seattle as the city is basically taken under siege due to a terrorist threat - one involving germ warfare and a potential airborne virus capable of wiping out most of the world's populace if not contained in time. The most entertaining character here is perhaps Ford's continuing character Frank Corso, a detective/true crime story writer, who gets tangled up in this whole affair, himself becoming a suspect for having his nose in the wrong place at the wrong time. I also quite liked the different local Seattle detectives and the police captain Harry Dobson who are determined to get to the bottom of things and clean up this mess in their own city and set out to do it in much better fashion than all the outside intrusive government agencies that also show up in town including the CDC, the FBI, the CIA, etc., etc..

It basically gives us the perspective of many different characters and eventually the narrative weaves into an whole that makes sense and builds and builds a terrific sense of suspense. I really couldn't put it down as I reached the climax. I just had to see how it would all play out. Very good book IMO Thumbup ...kind of a mix of Outbreak meets Pulp Fiction meets Cold Case but completely unique too.  
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 01:36:16 PM by xJaseSFx » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #422 on: March 13, 2010, 02:31:07 PM »

http://www.jeffvandermeer.com/2008/12/23/60-in-60-9-gibbons-the-christians-and-the-rise-of-rome-penguins-great-ideas/

the christians and the fall of Rome.  I'ts good and interesting but a little slow going unless your preferred style is 18th century formality including page long sentences with 11 commas
Jim H

« Reply #423 on: March 14, 2010, 03:13:26 AM »

http://www.jeffvandermeer.com/2008/12/23/60-in-60-9-gibbons-the-christians-and-the-rise-of-rome-penguins-great-ideas/

the christians and the fall of Rome.  I'ts good and interesting but a little slow going unless your preferred style is 18th century formality including page long sentences with 11 commas

I just read two more of the Repairman Jack books.  Very good and entertaining.  Lester, think you might like some of the title character's viewpoints on a few things (which appear to be author F. Paul Wilson's as well). 
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #424 on: March 14, 2010, 11:22:59 AM »

The title speaks for itself.  A collection of movies reviewed 1.5 stars or less.  Lots of fun.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #425 on: March 15, 2010, 09:24:45 AM »

rev- that looks awesome.  there's one called "hollywood talks turkey" that is really good. 
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #426 on: March 18, 2010, 02:23:08 AM »

Finished reading UR by Stephen King on Kindle.  Decent, but not as good as some of his other works.  It somewhat felt like a forced effort. 

However, I have decided to start reading Lair of the White Worm by Bram Stoker.  Hopefully it won't disappoint.  [Sidenote: I hated the movie]
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #427 on: March 18, 2010, 01:00:11 PM »

rev- that looks awesome.  there's one called "hollywood talks turkey" that is really good. 

I have to scale back my enthusiasm after reading it a bit.  In fact, there are several 2 star reviews in here, which are films he didn't "hate" at all, just sort of "blah" films.  Yet, he put out a companion volume called "You Movie Sucks" with more bad reviews.  It's a bit of a ripoff to stretch the bad reviews over two volumes by putting mediocre ones in with the truly awful.   

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #428 on: March 18, 2010, 02:55:33 PM »

that's too bad.  Hollywood talks Turkey, I haven't read it in like 15 years, but it was from the golden age of Hollywood and it delt with real stinkers.  I think it might have been Jane Russell I can't remember, some other actor goes to visit her on the set and she is drinking vodka from a jar and going "get me out of here,please!"  Cheers
Jim H

« Reply #429 on: March 18, 2010, 11:59:38 PM »

I have to scale back my enthusiasm after reading it a bit.  In fact, there are several 2 star reviews in here, which are films he didn't "hate" at all, just sort of "blah" films.  Yet, he put out a companion volume called "You Movie Sucks" with more bad reviews.  It's a bit of a ripoff to stretch the bad reviews over two volumes by putting mediocre ones in with the truly awful.   

That's too bad. Ebert's very negative reviews are often pretty amusing.  I recall enjoying his Rollerball (remake) review. 
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #430 on: March 20, 2010, 08:29:37 AM »

I just finished Conrad Black's masterful biography of President Nixon, entitled RICHARD NIXON: A LIFE IN FULL .   It is a very detailed, unflinching, but fairly sympathetic chronicle of the remarkable life and career of the most maligned President in U.S. history.  Black is a great storyteller, and was also personally acquainted with Nixon.  As a Brit, he has no "dog in the hunt" when it comes to American politics, and so he does not hesitate to indict Nixon, his aides, or his many critics when he finds them guilty of falsehood or self-serving hypocrisy.  His comments on the turbulent relationship between Nixon and Kissinger alone make the book worth the time it takes to read . . . . which is quite a bit, since it runs about 1000 pates.  Highly recommended for history buffs and those who are interested in the lives of our Presidents.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #431 on: March 20, 2010, 09:37:25 AM »

I just finished Conrad Black's masterful biography of President Nixon, entitled RICHARD NIXON: A LIFE IN FULL .   It is a very detailed, unflinching, but fairly sympathetic chronicle of the remarkable life and career of the most maligned President in U.S. history.  Black is a great storyteller, and was also personally acquainted with Nixon.  As a Brit, he has no "dog in the hunt" when it comes to American politics, and so he does not hesitate to indict Nixon, his aides, or his many critics when he finds them guilty of falsehood or self-serving hypocrisy.  His comments on the turbulent relationship between Nixon and Kissinger alone make the book worth the time it takes to read . . . . which is quite a bit, since it runs about 1000 pates.  Highly recommended for history buffs and those who are interested in the lives of our Presidents.

Black is no Brit. He's a Canadian who gave up his citizenship to get himself a title. Now, after badmouthing the country for years because we wouldn't let him have his cake and eat it too, he's trying to get his citizenship back, because it suits his purposes.

I'm not at all surprised he'd be sympathetic to Nixon, being a powerful man who considers himself above the law. Black is a crook, currently serving 6-1/2 years for fraud and obstruction of justice. His history as a businessman in Canada is mostly about buying companies to dismantle them and trying to steal from employee pension funds. He's filth.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #432 on: March 20, 2010, 12:31:28 PM »

That may be, but he's still a fine writer.  His work on Franklin Roosevelt, CHAMPION OF FREEDOM, is probably going to be the definitive Roosevelt biography for our generation.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #433 on: March 20, 2010, 05:15:54 PM »

That may be, but he's still a fine writer.  His work on Franklin Roosevelt, CHAMPION OF FREEDOM, is probably going to be the definitive Roosevelt biography for our generation.

Of course, and Michael Jackson might have molested a few children, but he was a heck of a showman.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #434 on: March 21, 2010, 12:40:10 AM »

Ouch!!  I get the feeling you really hate this guy!  I looked up his bio, and I still can't figure out exactly what it was he went to jail for.

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 151
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.