Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:01:26 AM
714229 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 151
Author Topic: Reading anything?  (Read 746303 times)
Sleepyskull
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Well,well,well...

« Reply #465 on: April 15, 2010, 06:47:42 PM »

A few days ago I read Robert Englund's memoir/autobiography Hollywood Monster.
It took me about 2 days to read it. 
It was very interesting and Robert seems like he is a very nice and down-to-earth person.

I borrowed it my from my local public library.

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #466 on: April 15, 2010, 08:11:16 PM »

"The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Famous Tales" by Robert Louis Stevenson

I've never read "Dr. Jekyll" or any Stevenson at all, so this should be interesting.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #467 on: April 20, 2010, 04:55:35 PM »

Edward Hollis' The Secret Lives of Buildings which discusses about a dozen famous landmarks, from the Parthenon to Notre Dame to Gloucester Cathedral to the Las Vegas Strip and talks about, well, their sometimes shocking hidden histories. Sounds better than it is because except for the part about Manchester's Hulme Crescents*, which always fascinated me, the book is a letdown.

*I went a couple years ago to where the Crescents used to stand and was asking a gentrified local we met what would've happened if I'd wandered in there back in the day. He told us, "They used to eat Americans alive in there." So I said, "What if I'd said I'm Irish?" He said, "Then they'd kill you first, then eat you." Heck of a place....

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #468 on: April 20, 2010, 05:16:05 PM »

Ye-es.

The "Graphic Classics"

As of 2004, there were . . .

bierce, doyle, london, lovecraft, poe, stevenson, stoker, twain, and wells.

I read . . .

bierce, lovecraft, poe, stevenson, and twain.

A short intro. A brief bio. And then the author's short stories, poems, novels, etc.

And while the author's works are sometimes abbreviated and/or adapted by the illustrator, you always get the gist of the author's writings.

And, having tried to read many of these, without the illustrations, believe me, the illustrations help immeasurabely in trying to understand what the author is trying to say.

Also while each author's best known works are included, some of each author's lesser known works are also included. And these, I often find, are as interesting or even more interesting than the author's better known works.

A good introduction to each author.

Next time: "Rod Serling's 'The Twilight Zone'"
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #469 on: April 21, 2010, 03:22:40 PM »

I was reading this excellent book until I found out they're making a film adaptation with that jackass from Twilight. It's about a 90+ year old man, who is wheelchair bound recounting important parts of his life, mostly from his time spent in the Benzini Bros. travelling circus. There's plenty of romance and revenge, violence and a fascinating insight into the circuses of America's past. Water is a big recurring theme within the book, used as a metaphor for many situations.

Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #470 on: April 22, 2010, 01:56:30 PM »

I was reading this excellent book until I found out they're making a film adaptation with that jackass from Twilight. It's about a 90+ year old man, who is wheelchair bound recounting important parts of his life, mostly from his time spent in the Benzini Bros. travelling circus. There's plenty of romance and revenge, violence and a fascinating insight into the circuses of America's past. Water is a big recurring theme within the book, used as a metaphor for many situations.

My fiancee has that book, and I've wanted to read it for a while.  I'll probably do that and just ignore the fact that there's a film being made.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #471 on: April 22, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »

My fiancee has that book, and I've wanted to read it for a while.  I'll probably do that and just ignore the fact that there's a film being made.

My wife read that one a while ago. Sounded interesting, but not really my cup of tea. I'll be interested in hearing what you guys think.

By the way, Circus, how was the Slade?

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
jimmybob
Bad Movie Lover

Move over, let Jimi take over.

« Reply #472 on: April 22, 2010, 03:12:03 PM »

The Shining. Finally read it.

It makes the movie look like it sucks.

-Jimmybob

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #473 on: April 25, 2010, 06:44:18 AM »

By the way, Circus, how was the Slade?

Great Andy, and thanks again. It was nice to be able to read one of those creepy short stories each night. Slade's got a really interesting way of putting images into the mind and building good suspense even when there's not much of a real conclusion to each story. I found myself creating a whole backstory to one short in my head and further endings to others.

Thumbup
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 07:19:38 AM by AndyC » Logged

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #474 on: April 25, 2010, 07:19:56 AM »

Sure you've got the right book? I don't remember any short stories. Or do you mean the different scenes where he switches from one killer to another? Those are kind of self-contained.

---------------------
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #475 on: April 25, 2010, 07:27:41 AM »

Sure you've got the right book? I don't remember any short stories. Or do you mean the different scenes where he switches from one killer to another? Those are kind of self-contained.

That's what I meant. Everything is cut up at the start before Chandler is introduced fully. I got a bit confused and treated it mostly as seperate stories that were slowly interlinked.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #476 on: April 25, 2010, 08:10:19 AM »

That's what I meant. Everything is cut up at the start before Chandler is introduced fully. I got a bit confused and treated it mostly as seperate stories that were slowly interlinked.

That's the way a lot of his books are. They follow a few different threads, past and present, that all gradually come together. Half the fun is trying to figure out how they fit. The style has evolved somewhat over the years, and Jay Clarke has written with a number of different partners under the Slade pen name.

If you liked Ghoul, you'll probably like Headhunter. A little less complicated than Ghoul, not quite as dark, but still an amazing book. It was actually the first of the series, although it and Ghoul were written as self-contained stories. Headhunter introduces Chief Superintendent Robert DeClercq, who then gets teamed up with Chandler in the third book, where it starts to focus on Special X, which becomes sort of the elite branch of the mounties. Chandler settles in as DeClercq's subbordinate, and continues to be the action guy.

If you want, I'll keep an eye out for a copy of Headhunter.

---------------------
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #477 on: April 26, 2010, 02:30:36 PM »

this  looks interesting. 1984 type dystopian novel written in 1921. new translation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_(novel)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 02:32:51 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Jim H

« Reply #478 on: April 26, 2010, 05:03:12 PM »

I just read Maus: A Survivor's Tale.  It's biographical/autobiographical comic book by Art Spiegelman.  Most of it is his father's true account of surviving the Holocaust.  To say the least, his father had a rather harrowing tale - as all survivor's did, of course, but his is one of the most detailed and filled in I've read.  It's also one of the few where the person telling the story ever had any control of what was going on around him - in a limited way, of course.  This story is interspersed with bits where Art deals with his father, who is aging and in failing health, and how their relationship struggles.  The whole thing is illustrated in a simple style, with all Jews depicted as mice, Germans as cats, Americans as dogs, Poles as pigs, and so on.  It works remarkably well.

Well worth a read.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #479 on: April 29, 2010, 02:23:05 PM »

I'm "reading" this. listening to it anyway at this moment

Small | Large

describes how central banks inflate currency to pay for wars while also hiding those costs.  inflation shuld rightly be seen as synonomous with debt and taxation, instead it's seen as this bizarre naturally occuring phenomenon.  It's just printing too much money, always and every time: too much money chasing too few goods
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 151
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.