Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:59:01 PM
713375 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 151
Author Topic: Reading anything?  (Read 742928 times)
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #480 on: May 01, 2010, 01:35:29 PM »

Ye-es.

Rod Serling's "The Twilight Zone." or to be more specific a graphic novel based on one of the classic TV show's episodes.

As of 2009, there were eight titles in the series . . .

The After Hours
The Big Tall Wish
Deaths-Head Revisited
The Midnight Sun
The Mosters Are Due on Maple Street
The Odyssey of Flight 33
Walking Distance
Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up?

So far, I've only read "Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up?" That was not the first episode I saw, but the second, but it was the last one I saw for a long time, as frankly, that is one of the few things I've ever seen on TV that scared the s*** out of me.

Except for the twist ending, which has to be one of the best twist endings ever seen on TV, I don't remember too much about it, but I do remember that it was supposedly set sometime in the early '60's, when the episode was first shown on TV.

On the other hand, for some strange reason, the graphic novel is set some thirty years on, or sometime after the '80's. Which doesn't really make any sense, because an alien invasion from space made more sense in the '60's, as by the '90's not only did we know that there was not life on Mars or Venus capable of interstellar space travel, but if there was life out there capable of it. How difficult it'd be to travel millions of light years to reach earth.

I don't know whether there are plans to turn the other episodes of "The Twilight Zone" into graphic novels, or whether the plans stop with these eight. Still, if there are plans to convert the other episodes into graphic novels, they have 148 more to choose from.

Next time: Backwards, sidewards, and forwards
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #481 on: May 06, 2010, 08:44:55 PM »

Lots of good stuff:

1. A paperback collection of the comic series Planetary. I'm not a regular follower of any comic series, but I do enjoy comics.  This one was great!

2. I took a break from the great book The Chosen by Chaim Potok. I definitely need to finish.

3. My English class is about halfway through Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. I am enjoying it.

4. I picked up The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty today at my school's used book sale. I'm already halfway through! It's very good! I have not seen the movie yet, but now I want to even more so I can compare the movie with the novel. I know I will feel freaked out when I go to bed soon...

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #482 on: May 06, 2010, 09:55:55 PM »

I am almost done with LONE SURVIVOR: THE STORY OF THE HEROES OF SEAL TEAM TEN by Marcus Luttrell.  Four of our Navy Seals, ambushed by nearly 200 Taliban fighters in the remote mountains of Afghanistan.  The Taliban killed three of the four, plus shooting down a helo sent to rescue them, but the Seals took down nearly 100 Taliban fighters.  I tell you, I almost cried when I read just how brave our men truly are.  This is an incredible story of courage, heroism and sacrifice! 

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #483 on: May 07, 2010, 01:53:49 AM »

1. A paperback collection of the comic series Planetary. I'm not a regular follower of any comic series, but I do enjoy comics.  This one was great!

Planetary was amazing. Probably the best work both Warren Ellis and John Cassaday have done yet. Let me know when you finish. I've got some observations, but I don't want to ruin anything for you.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #484 on: May 07, 2010, 07:20:30 AM »

Planetary was amazing. Probably the best work both Warren Ellis and John Cassaday have done yet. Let me know when you finish. I've got some observations, but I don't want to ruin anything for you.

I've finished book 1 of a paperback collection. It took a while to start coming together, but not in an annoying way. I actually got it for free from a raffle held by my local comic store on Free Comic Book Day (a national annual event held by comic stores). I definitely want to finish the series! The stories so far have been lots of fun and the artwork is great. I will definitely alert you when I finish!

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #485 on: May 11, 2010, 06:06:31 PM »

Ye-es.

Actually, several under what I call "Backward, Sideward, and Forward.

Backward
Dekker's "The Lost Books"
Having read volumes 2 and 3, I went back and read volume 1 in the series "The Chosen."
While it provides useful information, one need not read the graphic novels in order, nor is it necessary to read all of them, as each one is a more or less self-contained work of fiction. Of course, now I'm looking to read volume 4 and thereafter.

Sideward
"Graphic Classics"
Finally, read the one based on Bram Stoker's works of fiction. While he is best known for writing "Dracula," he did write several other novels and short stories, which are included with their illustrations.

Forward
The Indiana Jones Omnibus
Having read volume 1, I then read volume 2, which includes the 12 monthly issues for 1984 and the three issues which make up the official comic book adaptation of "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom." His adventures occuring sometimes in 1, sometimes in 2, and sometimes in 3 issues, before they are completed. It may have taken them an year, but it looks like they finally got the hang of it. While the villains in volume 1 are mostly simple and/or stupid, the villains in volume 2 are more complex and smarter, and a hero is only as good as the villains  he faces.

Mori's "Emma"
Having read volumes 1 to 7, I then read volumes 8 to 10. These being side stories about some of the side characters in the first 7 volumes. The stories running from a half page to 102 p. with the average being 34 p. The longest story being Emma and William's marriage.

This does allow me to talk about two problems I have with Japanese manga. (1st) Alot of the characters have a tendency to look alike, which makes them hard to identify and differenate. And (2) while translated into English, they are often published in the Japanese manner, which means the pages read from right to left, and I have a hard time trying to remember that.

And at least for the American publishing company that published the series, there is a rating system. Everyone = G rating. Teen = PG or PG-13 rating. Teen Plus = R rating. And Mature = NC-17 rating.  The "Emma" series received a Teen Plus rating for nudity and suggestive situations (i.e. sexual situations.)

Next time: Miyazaki's "My Neighbor Totoro"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #486 on: May 12, 2010, 10:04:27 AM »

Sarah Silverman "the bedwetter". It's  good but it's a biography not a bunch of jokes so really more for people who are already fans
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #487 on: May 12, 2010, 08:30:20 PM »

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #488 on: May 12, 2010, 10:52:57 PM »

I finished reading The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty. It was very good and made me feel creeped out!

Today I finished reading Legion by William Peter Blatty. It was also very good!

I plan on re-reading Legion eventually because although I understood the story, there were some ideas presented in the story that I did not totally grasp. 

My English class is about halfway through Frankenstein by Mary Shelley.  I'm enjoying it.

I still need to finish The Chosen by Chaim Potok. It's a very enjoyable book, but I just need to get back into it.  I took a break and got distracted.

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #489 on: May 12, 2010, 10:56:52 PM »

I just finished a book called INSIDE THE REVOLUTION: HOW THE FOLLOWERS OF JIHAD, JEFFERSON, AND JESUS ARE TRANSFORMING THE MIDDLE EAST.

It is a fascinating account of the emergence of the modern jihadist movement, the moderate Muslims who are trying to counter it and regain control from the thugs they feel have hijacked their religion, and the rapid growth of evangelical Christianity in the Middle East despite ferocious persecution.  It is written from a strongly Christian perspective, but still is quite fascinating, and the author presents all three perspectives from the words of their practitioners.  Alternately frightening and hopeful, it's the best book on the region I've read in awhile. 

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #490 on: May 13, 2010, 12:24:42 AM »

I just finished a book called INSIDE THE REVOLUTION: HOW THE FOLLOWERS OF JIHAD, JEFFERSON, AND JESUS ARE TRANSFORMING THE MIDDLE EAST.

It is a fascinating account of the emergence of the modern jihadist movement, the moderate Muslims who are trying to counter it and regain control from the thugs they feel have hijacked their religion, and the rapid growth of evangelical Christianity in the Middle East despite ferocious persecution.  It is written from a strongly Christian perspective, but still is quite fascinating, and the author presents all three perspectives from the words of their practitioners.  Alternately frightening and hopeful, it's the best book on the region I've read in awhile. 

How does Jefferson fit in?

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #491 on: May 13, 2010, 06:23:38 AM »

The Reformers - deeply religious Muslims who are also interested in seeing democracy and freedom come to the Middle East - are considered followers of Jefferson.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #492 on: May 14, 2010, 12:41:10 PM »

my search for the Yeti by reinohld messner. with a title like that written by a guy with a name like that you figure it would be completely awesome and so far it really is.
oxode
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #493 on: May 14, 2010, 02:29:22 PM »

Lots of good stuff:

3. My English class is about halfway through Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. I am enjoying it.

One tip:
Check if Your copy bases -as I guess when You read it at school- on the censored second edition. If it is so, try to get a copy of the reprinted first edition. It was republished a few years ago. And I promiss You'll see Mrs. Shelly with totally new eyes.
And if You want to torment Your teacher ask him/her about the changes Mrs. Shelly had to make. I bet my hat he/she will twitch like a worm.
oxode
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #494 on: May 14, 2010, 02:31:53 PM »

I am almost done with LONE SURVIVOR: THE STORY OF THE HEROES OF SEAL TEAM TEN by Marcus Luttrell.  Four of our Navy Seals, ambushed by nearly 200 Taliban fighters in the remote mountains of Afghanistan.  The Taliban killed three of the four, plus shooting down a helo sent to rescue them, but the Seals took down nearly 100 Taliban fighters.  I tell you, I almost cried when I read just how brave our men truly are.  This is an incredible story of courage, heroism and sacrifice! 

Navy Seals? Must be hard to fight in mountans with flippers on . . . Twirling
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 151
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.