Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:39:15 AM
714313 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 151
Author Topic: Reading anything?  (Read 747350 times)
Sleepyskull
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Well,well,well...

« Reply #495 on: May 14, 2010, 07:01:37 PM »

Lots of good stuff:

3. My English class is about halfway through Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. I am enjoying it.

One tip:
Check if Your copy bases -as I guess when You read it at school- on the censored second edition. If it is so, try to get a copy of the reprinted first edition. It was republished a few years ago. And I promiss You'll see Mrs. Shelly with totally new eyes.
And if You want to torment Your teacher ask him/her about the changes Mrs. Shelly had to make. I bet my hat he/she will twitch like a worm.

Actually, my teacher made sure to get the original version. She told us the history of why it was changed

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #496 on: May 14, 2010, 10:09:52 PM »

I just finished a reather neat volume called GEORGE WASHINGTON ON LEADERSHIP.  A fascinating look at how the Father of Our Country dealt with his problems, and how his solutions can be adapted and used by today's business and civic leaders.  Really well done and quite historically accurate.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #497 on: May 15, 2010, 10:58:59 AM »

She was a great writer, but it's remarkable how few movies she actually liked

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #498 on: May 18, 2010, 06:40:56 PM »

Thank You For Smoking by Christopher Buckley

It's a great book and very funny!  I almost finished it once, but got distracted. I now plan to finish it.

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #499 on: May 18, 2010, 06:57:11 PM »

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Jim H

« Reply #500 on: May 18, 2010, 09:57:17 PM »

I just read Monkey Girl.  It's about Intelligent Design and the Dover case which basically trashed its hopes of being taught in the USA.  What's probably most fascinating about the book is the incredible amount of ignorance on display by the people on the Dover schoolboard who were involved in adding ID.  All of them, quite literally, know next to nothing about evolution, intelligent design/creationism, and even the bible.  Yet, of course, they're the ones deciding what to put in the science classroom.   Lookingup

The book is clearly on the side of the evolutionists, but I'd question seriously anyone who isn't in this case.  Not only is ID not science (I mean, proponents want to REDEFINE science to fit ID in, how anyone can take the "It's science!" bit seriously after that is beyond me), the school board also lied, manipulated, bullied and threatened to get what they wanted.  The way the school board acted was atrocious - and of course, they ended up costing the tax payers over 1 million dollars.

They should be ashamed.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #501 on: May 22, 2010, 03:57:52 PM »

Ye-es.

Hayao Miyazaki's "My Neighbor Totoro"

A graphic adaptation of the film, using stills from the film, in four volumes.

The Good
What draws me to these types of films is not so much the animation, as the characters. Seldom in an animated film do I see such complex characters.

The Bad
The story. Not much happens in the film. At least in comparision to his other films which I've read or seen.

The Interesting
It's an interesting look at how some Japanese live in modern Japan, as seen through the eyes of someone who is Japanese himself.

It is interesting to note how many times in his films, the hero is actually a little girl. Which in this aspect is similiar to the animated films made by Walt Disney. No wonder some people call Hayao Miyazaki the Walt Disney of Japan.

Next time: Lois H. Gresh's "The Twilight Companion"

InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #502 on: May 22, 2010, 09:53:11 PM »

Hayao Miyazaki's "My Neighbor Totoro"

A graphic adaptation of the film, using stills from the film, in four volumes.

I have something similiar to that, but it the Princess Mononoke one instead and it is in five volumes.

Anyways, I'm currently reading through Batman Hush.  It's pretty good and the artwork is great!

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #503 on: May 23, 2010, 07:11:11 PM »

Still reading Slade's "Bed of Nails." A bit past the halfway point. Pretty good so far. The central theme is cannibalism, and goes into some detail with regard to past customs in the South Pacific, as well as some psychos of the last century or so. The investigation has thus far centred around a multiple murder at the World Horror Convention in Seattle, which Slade attended in real life as a guest of honour prior to writing the book. And the two chief suspects are a couple of feuding lawyers-turned-authors from Vancouver, much like the author himself.

I think I will take a break from Slade after this one. I've got just one more in the series to read, and I'm in no hurry, since he's probably not going to have anything new on shelves for a year or two, having a new book out just last year. I have a copy of Peter Straub's Koko waiting on the night stand.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #504 on: May 23, 2010, 07:49:20 PM »

I just read DAVE BARRY TURNS 50 .  Barry is always funny, and even though the book is a bit dated (written in 1998, that means Dave is about 15 years older than I am), as a 46 year old adolescent, I can identify with much of what he is saying.  His "history of the boomers" is pretty hilarious.  Not as good as DAVE BARRY'S COMPLETE GUIDE TO GUYS or my favorite, DAVE BARRY HITS BELOW THE BELTWAY, but still good for some nice hard belly laughts.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #505 on: May 23, 2010, 07:52:58 PM »

I just read DAVE BARRY TURNS 50 .  Barry is always funny, and even though the book is a bit dated (written in 1998, that means Dave is about 15 years older than I am), as a 46 year old adolescent, I can identify with much of what he is saying.  His "history of the boomers" is pretty hilarious.  Not as good as DAVE BARRY'S COMPLETE GUIDE TO GUYS or my favorite, DAVE BARRY HITS BELOW THE BELTWAY, but still good for some nice hard belly laughts.

Dave Barry is great! He is one of my all-time favorite writers.

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #506 on: May 24, 2010, 03:48:08 AM »

If you haven't read it already, check out Dave Barry Slept Here: A Sort of History of the United States. It's a funny book and it got me in trouble at work. Well, sort of.

At one point in the book, Barry starts talking about Samuel Gompers, one of the leaders of the Labor Movement. He freely admits he knows nothing about Samuel Gompers, but thinks Gompers would be a great name for a large dog--something I've stored in my brain for years.

At any rate, I was at my place of employment, a public library, and one of my coworkers began discussing thinking of a name for her new dog. So, loudly, I said, "You know what would be a good name for a dog? Gompers!" My coworker cringed and all of a sudden I had stepped into a minefield.

See, unbeknownst to me, there is a school for the developmentally disabled in Phoenix known as the Gompers Habilitation Center. Apparently, the term "gomper" has arisen to refer to the mentally challenged in a quite hurtful manner. So basically I had just loudly used a very negative epithet. Did I mention I was in a very public part of the library?

Insert foot directly in mouth.

Anyway, it's a great book, especially if you're a fan of U.S. history.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #507 on: May 24, 2010, 06:17:49 AM »

That one is funny - I read it several years ago.

Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #508 on: May 25, 2010, 04:23:02 AM »

Finished reading the last two books in the Beast House series, The Midnight Tour and Friday Night in Beast House.  Now that I'm done with that affair, I've decided to kick myself in the nuts and read four things at one time:

-Dominant Species by Michael E. Marks (sadly, it's the Kindle edition with tons of conventional mistakes)
-Horus Rising by Dan Abnett
-Complete Kick-Ass graphic novel
-Complete (at least I think it's complete) Scott Pilgrim

I have a lot of work to do...  Buggedout
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #509 on: May 27, 2010, 06:04:13 PM »

Well, I finished Kick-Ass and the first Scott Pilgrim book.  On to the next one. 

Also got a start on Dominant Species and Horus Rising.  The Kindle edition of Dominant Species is kind of annoying.  I don't know if it's in the hardcover version, but there are a lot of conventional errors (i.e. someone says, "Your on."  or it's instead of its). 
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 151
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.