Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:21:19 PM
714217 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 151
Author Topic: Reading anything?  (Read 746157 times)
Vik
« Reply #540 on: June 24, 2010, 11:04:13 AM »

Finished Comfort to the enemy, great fast read.
I just got a bunch of screenplays I'll be reading next. ( Good Will Hunting, Invaders from Mars, The Thing, Evil Dead II, Natural Born Killers (original by Tarantino)
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #541 on: June 24, 2010, 01:36:01 PM »

I just got a bunch of screenplays I'll be reading next. ( Good Will Hunting, Invaders from Mars, The Thing, Evil Dead II, Natural Born Killers (original by Tarantino)

Ooooh.  Let us know how that one is.  I'm quite curious what is different, as I've heard Stone changed it A LOT.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #542 on: June 30, 2010, 05:14:54 PM »

Between Silk and Cyanide: A Codemaker's War, 1941-1945 by Leo Marks.  It's an autobiography of his days with the Special Operations Executive.  A unique perspective on the 'inside' of the war.  Reads like a spy novel and has many fascinating moments.  Marks' style is engaging and his subtle (mainly self-deprecating) humour makes an enjoyable read.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #543 on: July 01, 2010, 02:34:40 AM »

Caught In The Crossfire: The Stevie Ray Vaughan Story

Basically 35 years crammed into 275 pages, his early life upto gaining international recognition as one of the greatest guitar players and bluesmen of all time until his untimely death. It's told by various friends and family along with two co-authors filling in the rest. It's been a very interesting and enjoyable read so far...  Thumbup

Vik
« Reply #544 on: July 01, 2010, 03:25:37 PM »

Ooooh.  Let us know how that one is.  I'm quite curious what is different, as I've heard Stone changed it A LOT.

I got the script yesterday, and finished reading it yesterday. It's seriously great and would of made an awesome movie. I'm a big fan of Stone's film, but I'm really not sure if he changed it for the better.
Great read.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #545 on: July 01, 2010, 04:58:19 PM »

The user's guide for my new Droid phone. This thing does everything but iron my shirts.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Vik
« Reply #546 on: July 02, 2010, 06:58:59 AM »

Just finished reading the ' Invaders from mars (1986)' script. I haven't seen the movie though, the script was alright, but the ending was absolutely stupid. I hate the 'it was all a dream' endings.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #547 on: July 04, 2010, 04:02:13 PM »

Superman: Red Son

This is part of the Elseworld series, where certian superheroes are changed or the world is changed in order to tell a new story that wouldn't work with the regular continuity of the certain series.  This is a huge what if story if I have ever seen one.  What would happened if Superman's rocket land in the Soviet Union instead of in America?  Well apparently by 1953, Lois would marry Lex, Lex himself is actually trying to help America, Jimmy Olsen is apart of the government, Jonathan Kent (Superman's adoptive father in America) would pass away sooner, and Superman would become the poster boy for Communism.

There's more, but that would be spoiling things.  I'm on issue one of three so far, but I really like what I am seeing here.  It is a well written story that isn't an American propaganda story, but a story that protrays both America and Soviet Union as good and bad countries and an interesting look at communism vs. captialism.  The story has a lot of references to things happening during the 50s and everything feels just like the time period, with even President Eisenhower being called Ike and the old classic propaganda posters of Russia.  There's even more stuff, with appearances from other superheroes including Wonder Woman before she became who she is.  The art style is also very good as well.

This is one of the best Superman stories I have ever read, especially along side the already fantastic All Star Superman.  If you even like the character or even curious about the premise, you just have to see this.  I highly recommend this even when I'm only a third of the way in.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #548 on: July 05, 2010, 06:51:00 AM »

Screenplays can be fun to read. Back around the time Freddy vs. Jason came out, maybe just before, I read a few rejected screenplays that had gotten leaked, any one of which would have been much better than what they actually made.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Vik
« Reply #549 on: July 05, 2010, 09:48:28 AM »

Screenplays can be fun to read. Back around the time Freddy vs. Jason came out, maybe just before, I read a few rejected screenplays that had gotten leaked, any one of which would have been much better than what they actually made.
Any chance you still have them ?
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #550 on: July 05, 2010, 09:53:09 AM »

It was years ago, and I never had hard copies of them.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #551 on: July 05, 2010, 11:48:25 AM »

"Basketball and Philosophy."  This is part of a series teaching philosophical concepts in the context of popular culture: there are books on the Lord of the Rings, film noir, science fiction films, and the X-Files, among others.  I've read two essays so far---one touching on the vanished community spirit of Indiana high school basketball, the other on the ethics of the "hack-a-Shaq" strategy---and they were both interesting, clearly written for laymen.  It's a good idea and I might pick up some other books in the series.

But the coolest thing about this volume is the foreword (called the "power foreword"  Lookingup) by none other than Dick Vitale.  Sample: "...who would ever think to associate basketball with the term 'communitarianism'? That's a mouthful, baby!"

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #552 on: July 06, 2010, 08:05:55 PM »

SILAS MARNER

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Hammock Rider

« Reply #553 on: July 08, 2010, 04:07:17 PM »

This is one of the Nostalgia Venture reprints which include full uncut adventures plus additonal information, usually interviews or essays by pulp historians. They put out The Shadow adventures too and I highly recommend them all.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Vik
« Reply #554 on: July 08, 2010, 04:20:12 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 151
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.