Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:55:46 AM
713341 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 151
Author Topic: Reading anything?  (Read 742842 times)
ChaosTheory
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #570 on: July 28, 2010, 08:25:39 PM »

Ye-es.

But, first I want to thank Chaos Theory for answering my question, as I now see I'm not missing anything by not watching "The Simpsons."

(Merlin voice) "You're welcome!"  Cheers

Finished The Passage, got a little muddled in the third act but still quite good; am just starting A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again, a collection of essays by David Foster Wallace. 

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #571 on: July 28, 2010, 08:40:44 PM »

I read a biography last week entitled GOEBBELS, by Georg Reuth.  A fascinating look at the life of Hitler's Minister of Propaganda, and one of the most loathsome hatemongers of all time. He was the most anti-Semitic of the Nazi leadership, after Hitler himself, and poured out his venom on the radio, movie screen, and in print.  He packaged and sold Hitler to the German people as if "Der Fuhrer" was a new brand of soap, and was rewarded with many honors once Hitler seized power.   Goebbels was the most loyal of the Nazis, however - after Hitler's death, while the others were scrambling to get out of Berlin while the getting was good, he supervised the burning of the Fuhrer's body, then he and his wife poisoned their 6 children and killed themselves, giving orders for their bodies to be burned in the same courtyard as Hitler's.

And they burn together to this day!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #572 on: July 28, 2010, 08:58:35 PM »

am just starting A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again, a collection of essays by David Foster Wallace. 

What is it with folks on this board suddenly deciding to read D.F. Wallace?  Anyway, that's a good essay collection.  The title essay and the one where he goes to the state fair are hilarious.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Jim H

« Reply #573 on: July 30, 2010, 01:28:36 AM »

I started reading Paradise Lost.  Yeah.  It'll probably take me a while, but for some reason I actually like epic poetry.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #574 on: July 30, 2010, 01:52:28 AM »

am just starting A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again, a collection of essays by David Foster Wallace. 

What is it with folks on this board suddenly deciding to read D.F. Wallace?  Anyway, that's a good essay collection.  The title essay and the one where he goes to the state fair are hilarious.

I've had a coworker, who is aware of my Pynchon fascination, pushing Wallace on me for a while. It just happened to come up on my reading list. It's a long list that I perversely attack in a sequential order.

On the other hand, I threw in a couple of hardcore chemistry texts that I will have to explore before I can move onto something else.

Lastly, I was going to put off this book, "James Madison: The Founding Father," but somebody else put it on hold. I'm reading it now, but how did a book on James Madison become the most sought after book on my reading list?

Apparently I'm not the only dude interested in James Madison.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Vik
« Reply #575 on: July 30, 2010, 08:14:33 AM »

'Eyes of the Dragon' by Stephen King
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #576 on: July 31, 2010, 09:53:37 AM »

I just finished 1864: LINCOLN AT THE GATES OF HISTORY by Charles Flood.  One of the best Lincoln books I have ever read, second only to TEAM OF RIVALS, this book looks at the incredible hardships and looming disasters that Lincoln faced as he tried to manage the Civil War and run for re-election at the same time, with the fate of the Union hanging in the balance.  Very well done, this book shows all sides of Lincoln - the master politician, the political dealer, the tortured soul,  and the idealistic hero that was our 16th President.  A very worthwhile read.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #577 on: August 01, 2010, 11:51:51 AM »

re reading "where the right went wrong" by patrick buchanan. it's great but some of these issues, the wmd in iraq was the war justified things, it's too early to want to hear all that stuff again. they were on every pundit show every day for years.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 11:59:48 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #578 on: August 01, 2010, 02:10:47 PM »

Interesting and very researched work on PA Dutch folk magic, specifically healing. My only complaint is that its badly edited, with major spelling mistakes and grainy photos. Both the author and the material deserve better.

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #579 on: August 01, 2010, 02:24:28 PM »

I hit an out of town comic book shop in search of the latest issue of Green Lantern Corps when I discovered the following series to read:

Gotham Central:  Only managed to find the first issue, but it was pretty good and has put this series on the radar for me.  I will try to find some of the other issues when I can.

Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane: This is techincally the only Marvel series I have (Not many series from that company makes me want to read them outside of Ultimate Spider-Man.) and it is pretty good.  The art style is pretty decent and it is strongly written.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #580 on: August 01, 2010, 02:35:23 PM »

Gotham Central:  Only managed to find the first issue, but it was pretty good and has put this series on the radar for me.  I will try to find some of the other issues when I can.

Thats a great comic series !  Thumbup

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Vik
« Reply #581 on: August 03, 2010, 06:16:42 AM »

Finished 'The eyes of the Dragon' and it's one of the best books I read in a while.
Now I started reading 'Salem's lot'
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #582 on: August 03, 2010, 08:07:21 AM »

Thats a great comic series !  Thumbup

Of course.  Greg Rucka is behind it!  He wrote 52, the novel version of Batman: No Man Land, for Wonder Woman, and really awesome Batwoman: Elegy for Detective Comics.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Vik
« Reply #583 on: August 08, 2010, 03:35:57 AM »

Salem's Lot was quite good. I think I'm gonna start reading 'Running Man' next.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #584 on: August 10, 2010, 04:29:05 PM »

In addition to GULLIVER'S TRAVELS, I've been reading quite a few comics lately.  I recently subscribed to about 15 titles (mostly Marvel, but a few DC . . . and I even subscribed to MAD MAGAZINE), plus I've been reading Silver and Bronze Age back-issues.  Last night I read X-MEN #47.  Not one of the best X-MEN stories, but you still gotta love those books from the 1960s.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 151
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.