Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:40:55 PM
713374 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 151
Author Topic: Reading anything?  (Read 742924 times)
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #585 on: August 11, 2010, 08:34:18 AM »

I just started reading Fart Proudly, a collection of essays by Benjamin Franklin that don't normally get read in schools. It shows more of the mischievous side of Franklin. It includes portions of Poor Richard's Almanack, which he shamelessly used to lampoon marriage, morality, the Crown, and often, even the almanac itself (he wrote his own letters to the editor when he felt like it). The book also contains essays that Franklin published elsewhere, many of which have to do with farting. Apparently Franklin never killed off his inner 8-year-old. Ya gotta admire that in a man.  TongueOut

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #586 on: August 11, 2010, 09:27:42 AM »

includes "nightmare at 20,000 feet" short story
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #587 on: August 11, 2010, 10:04:34 AM »

I just read through all three big volumes of DC's Blackest Night.  The Blackest Night one that has the main story, the Green Lantern one, and the Green Latern Corps one as well in order to complete and make the story at very least understandable.  Very good work.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #588 on: August 11, 2010, 04:33:26 PM »

"Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper Case Closed" by Patricia Cornwell as part of some research for an upcoming project.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #589 on: August 11, 2010, 04:35:16 PM »

Do you think she really closed the case?  I'm not so sure, although it was a good read.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #590 on: August 11, 2010, 05:20:19 PM »

Do you think she really closed the case?  I'm not so sure, although it was a good read.

For the purposes I'm using the book for, it's a moot point. I'm just doing some general research on the Victorian era and reading a few horror stories from that period in order to get a good feel for how to write a pseudo-gothic horror story.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #591 on: August 11, 2010, 05:52:36 PM »

Ye-es.

The A.V. Club's "Inventory"

A book of 100 pop culture lists.

As with all such books, it has the normal faults.

Inclusions
"The Simpsons"

Exclusions
In a list of movie drunks who sobered up enough to save the day, they forgot the classic Kid Shelleen played by Lee Marvin in "Cat Ballou," who not only sobered up enough to saye the day, but then fell off the wagon, only to save the day again.

Uptodateness
In a list of TV animated series loved by both adults and children, they forgot "Phineas and Ferb," which is loved by children for the title characters, and adults for the jokes, most of which go right over the heads of the children in the audinece.

Still, I like to see another edition of the book. If only because the last list is a list of pop culture items that did not make the first book. For me "Heady Entertainment: 11 Memorable Beheadings Not Found in Horror Films." And for everyone else 'Going Postal: 5 Uwe Boll Films That Are Actually Good."

Nex time: The Vampire Archives
Vik
« Reply #592 on: August 12, 2010, 07:24:49 AM »

The Running Man was really good. I'm now reading a few other screenplays and I've been reading the 'Preacher' comics. They're awesome. I also ordered 'Batman: The Dark Knight Returns' of Amazon  TeddyR
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #593 on: August 12, 2010, 12:35:57 PM »

"Moviemakers' Master Class: Private Lessons from the World's Foremost Directors."  Advice from 20 top directors, including Tim Burton, the Coen Brothers, David Cronenberg, David Lynch, Martin Scorcese, John Woo.... should be very interesting.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Vik
« Reply #594 on: August 12, 2010, 03:09:00 PM »

"Moviemakers' Master Class: Private Lessons from the World's Foremost Directors."  Advice from 20 top directors, including Tim Burton, the Coen Brothers, David Cronenberg, David Lynch, Martin Scorcese, John Woo.... should be very interesting.
Sounds like something I need to read  TeddyR Let us know how it is.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #595 on: August 21, 2010, 11:42:49 AM »

THE STRANGE CASE OF DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE by Robert Louis Stevenson

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #596 on: August 22, 2010, 08:42:31 PM »

I read that for the 1st time not very long ago.   Thumbup

Wanted to tell Vik that the Moviemaker's Master Class book is a definite must read if you're at all interested in filmmaking.  I'm about halfway through, and some of the directors are starting to repeat themselves... which suggests they're all onto something.  Topics include philosophy in dealing with actors, planning vs. spontaneity, what kind of lens or shot to use to get an effect.  Very interesting for anyone who loves movies.  Thumbup   

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #597 on: August 25, 2010, 04:37:23 PM »

Ye-es.

"The Vampire Archives"

81 of the best vampire stories as selected and edited by Otto Penzler.

Vampire stories fall into three categories: pre-Stoker, Stoker, and post-Stoker.

Pre-Stoker, we get stories from . . .

Ambrose Bierce
Lord Byron
Von Goethe
John Keats
Sheridan LeFanu
Edgar Allen Poe

Stoker
"Dracula" was the first vampire novel he wrote, but his first vampire story was the short story "The Fate of Fenella," which was published some five years before "Dracula."

Post-Stoker, we get stories from the normal suspects . . .

Clive Barker
Robert Bloch
August Derleth
Stephen King
Richard Laymon
H. P. Lovecraft
Brian Lumley
Richard Matheson
Anne Rice
Dan Simmons

And maybe because science fiction is so close to horror, we get stories from writers who are better known for their science fiction, such as . . .

Ray Bradbury
Harlan Ellison
Fritz Leiber
Roger Zelazny

And then we get stories from people you don't suspect to write a vampire story, such as . . .

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
D. H. Lawrence
Guy de Maupassant
Gahan Wilson.

The collection also contains a one page short bio on each of the writers, and for some of the writers their bio is stranger than any piece of fiction they could write.

And there seems to be an inclusive bibliography containing every vampire story ever published. Chronologically it ranges from Dr. John William Polidori's "The Vampyre" from 1819, which is considered the first vampire story ever written, to vampire stories published as late as 2008. And alphabetically it ranges from Tony Abbott's "Trapped in Transylvania" to Susan Zoon's "Vampire Lover."

Next time: "This is not your father's omnibus."
Vik
« Reply #598 on: August 26, 2010, 09:03:24 AM »

I read that for the 1st time not very long ago.   Thumbup

Wanted to tell Vik that the Moviemaker's Master Class book is a definite must read if you're at all interested in filmmaking.  I'm about halfway through, and some of the directors are starting to repeat themselves... which suggests they're all onto something.  Topics include philosophy in dealing with actors, planning vs. spontaneity, what kind of lens or shot to use to get an effect.  Very interesting for anyone who loves movies.  Thumbup   
Awesome, I'm going to check that one out  TeddyR
Right now I'm reading 'The Mist' by Stephen King and a bunch of other short stories out of 'Skeleton Crew'
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #599 on: August 26, 2010, 11:54:06 AM »

Needed to put Koko down for a while. It kind of started to drag as the guys were wandering around Singapore. Give it a week or so, and I'll be able to pick it up again.

Right now, I'm about halfway through Watchmen. I remember seeing it in comic shops in the 80s, I remember hearing a little bit about it, but I never actually read it, and until the movie came out, I didn't really know what it was about. The whole graphic novel thing was something I never got into when I was reading comics. I just assumed it was some new, edgy team of heroes and forgot about it.

So far, it's very interesting. Well thought-out and well written. Very dark and grim though, but I suppose that's part of the premise that a world with real superheroes might be worse, not better. The alternate history is very good, and the psychological analysis of the characters is interesting, if depressing at times. Visually, it's excellent.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 151
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.