Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:26:00 AM
713326 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 151
Author Topic: Reading anything?  (Read 742815 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #660 on: November 29, 2010, 11:16:11 PM »

Ended up taking a diversion from fiction for a while. Currently reading this:

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #661 on: November 30, 2010, 12:15:17 AM »

Just read a book called John Dies at the End by David Wong, which was previously available as an online novel.

Here's an excerpt from my Goodreads review.

"The book opens with a deliriously off-kilter parable and follows it up with a chapter that suggests the banality of evil is nothing compared to its outright stupidity. I caught that bit when it was still a fledgling online novel, and it was enough to hook me to buy the book.

This book promises to deliver a terrifying sermon on true insanity, as filtered through the incredibly crude viewpoint of its narrator. Well, it starts off strong in that direction, but ends up trading insanity for a coherent plot.

If you're not a fan of sci-fi and are put off by puerility, well, stay away from this book. However, if you can appreciate the craftsmanship it takes to describe existential angst in the crudest, most joke-laden from possible, check it out."

Also read Horns by Joe Hill, which was pretty good. Not a huge stretch from his previous novel, but an engrossing story.

I cleared out all the other books I was reading, too. The only thing I'm still hammering away at is Infinite Jest (it's long).

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #662 on: November 30, 2010, 08:54:29 PM »

Just ordered this....got in the mail yesterday...

I've always been fasinated by the Depression era outlaws. So much so that my son Eddies middle name is Clyde....my first name in Ronny...as in Ronny and Clyde!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Hammock Rider

« Reply #663 on: December 03, 2010, 12:24:26 PM »

I've been into the Lovejoy mysteries lately.

I must be going thru some kind of British kick because I'm also reading the Brother Cadfael novels.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 12:37:02 PM by Hammock Rider » Logged

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
voltron

« Reply #664 on: December 03, 2010, 12:42:19 PM »

Great book. Lotsa cool recording tips and tricks.  Thumbup

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #665 on: December 03, 2010, 05:06:46 PM »

voltron- the Tape OP book is good
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #666 on: December 03, 2010, 06:35:38 PM »

Ye-es.

It's not the movie. It's the movie tie-in.

I use to remember a time that when a film was released to theaters, a paperback tie-in, based on the script, would also be released. Those times are fewer now, and I regret that for the following reasons.

(1) The tie-in would add further depth to the characters.

(2) The tie-in would often fill in plotholes in the film.

(3) The tie-in would be based on an early script, so you could see the changes made in the script.

So . . .  I was glad to find Justin Mechner's "Prince of Persia: Before the Sandstorm."

5 characters from the film. 5 prequel tales. 5 artist renderings, which range from cartoonish to photographic realistic.

What impressed me also was the way the rulers were depicted in the stories, even the evil ones. Ever since 1940's "Thief of Bagdad" the rulers have been depicted as both incompetent and fools. But here they are not incompetent and fools, but competent and wise.

I was also impressed with Sheik Amar. Not only by the way he was played by Alfred Molina in the film, but also by how well he was written as a character in the book.

Next time: "A Triple Dose of King" or something else.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #667 on: December 03, 2010, 07:36:46 PM »

Yeah, there was a time when I used to read a lot of movie novelizations. That was back when I needed my parents to drive me to the city for a movie, and thus only went a couple of times a year. Before home video took off, you had to see the movie in the theatre or wait at least two or three years for it to possibly reach television. Reading the book was often the best available option.

---------------------
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #668 on: December 03, 2010, 07:49:59 PM »

Reading through a bunch of graphic novels I got at the library:

Ultimate Fantastic Four Vol. 8-11 (Vol. 11's artwork is shocking not finished at all.  You can still see the pencil lines that were not inked over)
Ultimate Galactus (Contains all of the mini-series)
Justice League of America Vol. 1-4 (The new series starting with Tornado's Path)
Justice Society Vol. 3-5
Ultimate X-Men Ultimate Collections 2-3

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #669 on: December 15, 2010, 01:27:50 PM »

My wife read Ro a bedtime story last night, without really knowing the details, other than it was a classic tale by Hans Christian Andersen.

The Little Match Girl.

That has got to be the saddest story I've ever heard. I was somewhat familiar with it, but I didn't remember the specifics - like it being about a little girl's series of near-death experiences as she froze to death, because she was afraid to go home to her abusive father.

Fortunately, Ro had no idea, and was simply delighted at this poor girl having visions of a Christmas tree and a feast and her beloved dead grandmother. I was only half listening, but when the girl has a vision of going with her grandmother, I got very uneasy. And then we got to the illustration that Ro loved best, of the little girl "sleeping" peacefully in the morning after all her wonderful visions (as my wife silently mouthed to me "she's D-E-A-D.")

Between Ro's innocent enjoyment, the beautiful illustrations, and the contrast between the joyful visions and the bleak reality of the story, it was enough to make me teary and haunt my thoughts for the rest of the evening. I'm just thankful Ro didn't figure it out. That kid has so much empathy for fictional characters, it would have devastated her. Hell, I'm getting all weepy again just writing this.

---------------------
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #670 on: December 15, 2010, 01:34:58 PM »

Just ordered this....got in the mail yesterday...

I've always been fasinated by the Depression era outlaws. So much so that my son Eddies middle name is Clyde....my first name in Ronny...as in Ronny and Clyde!

I've got that one sitting on my table downstairs waiting to start it.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #671 on: December 15, 2010, 01:48:12 PM »

I used to absolutely love reading like crazy for many years. Now I can barely focus my attention on a few sentences. I'm thinking of setting a goal for 2011 to read at least 4 books.

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #672 on: December 15, 2010, 10:15:28 PM »

This is an Elseworld's story from DC.  A sort of What If story.  In this case, the what if tale is this: It is early 50s and America is dealing with the Cold War with the U.S.S.R.  Then in one news announcment, the tide of war changes when the Soviets announces their new weapon, a super human or Superman if you will.  From here on in, this is the story of Superman and his rise in the Soviet Union while in America Lex Luthor, the world's smartest man apparently, tries to find a way to kill him.  It's a 3 issue story (Part 1 in the 50s, Part 2 in the 70s, and Part 3 in the 00s) and I won't spoil anymore of it because there is so much in it crammed into the 3 issues.  You will be seeing Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Batman, and other recongizable characters in this story, but in ways you might not imagine.

This story is written by Mark Millar, who you may remember as the man behind The Unfunnies which I brought up, and I have to say, this is probably the best comic I ever read by him.  It's a fasincating story with a very gray morality, which no character being that heroic or evil when you look at both viewpoints.  I cannot highly recommend this enough to people, you got to give this one a look.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #673 on: December 16, 2010, 09:00:42 PM »

I just finished Ron Charnow's biography of George Washington.  It is the best book on the Father of our Country I have ever read; Charnow does a great deal to humanize the "marble man" that Washington's contemporaries strove so hard to turn him into.  This is better than Joseph Ellis' HIS EXCELLENCY and Willard Sterne Randall's WASHINGTON:  A LIFE.  As good as anything David McCullough has written, I think this one is a must have for any fans of the Revolutionary generation.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #674 on: December 17, 2010, 04:03:29 AM »

I am very looking forward to reading Chernow's Washington biography. I loved his biography of Alexander Hamilton, but you'd be pretty hard-pressed to make Hamilton non-interesting. Volatile guy, that Hamilton.

Washington's a hard nut to crack. There's a man who knew exactly his place in history and conducted himself better than probably anybody else will ever be able to. He knew that 200 hundred years later we would be scrutinizing his every move, and he made so very little mistakes. He may have been too successful. We can all relate to the spitfire John Adams and the relentless idealism of Thomas Jefferson. Washington, not as easy to read.

I've read "The Indispensable Man," but I'm curious to see what Chernow can say.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 151
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.