Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:18:18 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 151
Author Topic: Reading anything?  (Read 742861 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #780 on: May 07, 2011, 08:30:41 PM »

J Michael Straczynski's run on Spider-Man and Thor, which is rather apporiate since he also wrote Thor the movie.  What a concidence!

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #781 on: May 08, 2011, 12:38:51 AM »

Just finished James McPherson's TRIED BY WAR: LINCOLN AS COMMANDER IN CHIEF.
Very interesting look at President Lincoln's military skills, and his role in shaping the
President's military status.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
crackers
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #782 on: May 15, 2011, 05:01:10 AM »

I Just bought The Secret Diary Of Laura Palmer i can't wait to get stuck into it.

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #783 on: May 15, 2011, 05:50:33 AM »

Currently reading Dean Kootz's "Lightning"

I think Mr. Koontz is fast becoming my favourite author, I just seem to be flying through book after book wanting more. Having recently finished Strangers, Hideaway and The House Of Thunder, I've began Lightning, which has some lightning in and so far, a woman dying in childbirth and an alcoholic doctor held hostage by a mysterious intruder. Dean's got a pretty damn good knack of getting you hooked right from chapter one.

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #784 on: May 15, 2011, 08:28:28 AM »

His books are my favorite mental junk food - I plow through them in a single day and enjoy every minute of it!!  BTW, PHANTOMS is my all time favorite by him.  It is one genuinely creepy work!!

I just finished GAME OF THRONES and now I am reading CLASH OF KINGS.
Good stuff!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #785 on: May 16, 2011, 04:56:19 PM »

I might have to give Koontz another try. I liked his Frankenstein trilogy up until the second half of the third book, where it seemed he didn't so much end the story as stop it as efficiently as possible. Seemed kind of hastily thrown together, which it probably was. That volume was delayed a couple of years and totally rewritten after Hurricane Katrina, what with it being about monsters wreaking havok in New Orleans and all.

The only other Koontz I've read was Darkfall, and I didn't make it halfway through before tossing that one aside.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #786 on: May 17, 2011, 12:00:41 PM »

I might have to give Koontz another try. I liked his Frankenstein trilogy up until the second half of the third book, where it seemed he didn't so much end the story as stop it as efficiently as possible. Seemed kind of hastily thrown together, which it probably was. That volume was delayed a couple of years and totally rewritten after Hurricane Katrina, what with it being about monsters wreaking havok in New Orleans and all.

The only other Koontz I've read was Darkfall, and I didn't make it halfway through before tossing that one aside.

Andy, read Watchers or Intensity and I guarantee that you'll change your mind on 'ol Mr. Koontz. You know I'm always right...  Wink

Hammock Rider

« Reply #787 on: May 17, 2011, 01:51:16 PM »

I Just bought The Secret Diary Of Laura Palmer i can't wait to get stuck into it.

This is a fun read. The Diary of Agent Dale Cooper is excellent too. As kids we had a lot of fun reading these and trying to figure out Who Killed Laura Palmer?

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
BTM

« Reply #788 on: May 17, 2011, 07:52:53 PM »

I just got done reading Dc Universe by Alan Moore,  To quote Tvtropes (and God, have been reading that site waaay too much), it's pretty much what it say on the tin: a collection of stories set in the DC Universe written by Alan Moore.  It's a rather interesting collection, especially if (like me) you're mainly just familiar with Moore from Watchmen.  You can see some of the lighter side of his works.

Neatly enough, when I was heavily into comics (back when I had extra money and no computer to spend it on) I never really read much DC stuff, but even I found a lot of the stories to be good reads, as you don't have too know too much "background" info to "get it" (although there's is one or two where being familiar with the characters would have probably lent more of a "punch" to the story.)  For example, one story centers around Clayface, but apparently not THE Clayface, I'm familiar with from the cartoon series. I think Batman mentions in the story there's been three different guys to go by that nickname. (You think the writers would have just called them something else, but hey, how many "Goblins" have there been over at Marvel?)

We start out with, "For the Man Who Has Everything", a story where Batman, Robin, and Wonder Woman arrive at the Fortress of Solitude to deliver some "birthday" gifts to Superman, only to find him standing frozen in place with a bizarre plant-like thing growing into his chest. 

Also in the book are a Superman/Swamp Thing crossover, "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" which is basically a "possible future" story about how the saga of Superman comes to an end, a story further detailing the death of the alien (can't recall his name) who possessed the Green Lantern ring before Hal Jordan found it, and, probably one of Moore's most famous DC stories, "The Killing Joke." 

Neat enough, one of my personal favorite stories is, "In Blackest Night" which is about one of the female Green Lanterns (can't remember her name, she has red skin though) goes to a sunless solar system to find someone worthy of becoming a Green Lantern.  She find a suitable candidate in a silicon based lifeform, but a problem comes when she can't explain exactly what the Green Lanterns are.  You see, although her ring translates his (it's?) musical notation language to hers, there are NO words in his for "color", "light", "green", "lantern" etc.  The solution she comes up with is rather clever and I just think the whole story has a neat idea on Moore's part.

Anyway, if you like DC or Moore, it's a decent pick up!

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Hammock Rider

« Reply #789 on: May 18, 2011, 08:23:47 AM »

I'm reading Young Men in Spats by PG Wodehouse.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #790 on: May 18, 2011, 02:02:14 PM »

Ye-es.

Hal Butler's "Abandon Ship," published in 1974, but part of it written in 1959, and John Rousmaniara's "After the Storn," published in 2002.

Between them, they cover two dozen shipwrecks that occurred between 1809 and 1996 with no duplications in their stories.

They have some good news and some bad news about shipwrecks for you. Using their examples, you have a 79% chance of surviving a shipwreck. The bad news is, if you want a better than 50% chance of surviving a shipwreck, your odds are now 37%. And if you want an 100% chance of surviving a shipwreck, your odds are now 4%.

What else is interesting is how the thought processes of two white American males can differ so much between the older generation (Butler) and the younger generation (Rousmaniara.)

Butler: seemingly sees everything in shades of black and white.
Rousmaniara: seemingly sees everything in shades of gray.

Butler: seemingly uninterested in any aftermath of the shipwreck.
Rousmaniara: seemingly interested in any aftermath of the shipwreck.
Even years later.

Butler: seemingly uninterested in the why?
Rpis,amoara: seemingly interested in the why?

While man has always been reflective and introspective. It only seems to have come more permissible for the younger generation.

Next time: And still more miscellaneous (in graphic fromat)

Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #791 on: May 23, 2011, 11:18:03 PM »

Reading Lord of the Rings. Halfway through the Two Towers.

Hammock Rider

« Reply #792 on: June 01, 2011, 09:22:34 AM »

The Destroyer #122-Syndication Rites . The Mafia gets involved in the stock market and Chiun discovers the joys of country music. Nothing but the classics for me!

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #793 on: June 01, 2011, 10:31:53 PM »

Just finished George R.R. Martin's FEAST OF CROWS, the last available volume in the SONG OF ICE AND FIRE series (GAME OF THRONES, for HBO watchers).  I began to suspect, and finally saw those suspicions confirmed by the end of the book - THE STORY ISN'T OVER!  I hate getting sucked into a fantasy series and then realizing it isn't complete yet!

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #794 on: June 02, 2011, 03:29:39 AM »

Just finished George R.R. Martin's FEAST OF CROWS, the last available volume in the SONG OF ICE AND FIRE series (GAME OF THRONES, for HBO watchers).  I began to suspect, and finally saw those suspicions confirmed by the end of the book - THE STORY ISN'T OVER!  I hate getting sucked into a fantasy series and then realizing it isn't complete yet!

I love A Song of Ice and Fire.

George R.R. Martin is taking his sweet time. Don't get me wrong, I want him to take the time to really finish his story right. I'm just hoping he doesn't pull a Robert Jordan.

My brother is reading the series right now, and he's about halfway through the third book. I can't talk to him about it at all, because Martin is one of those writers who is not afraid of the actual consequences of a full scare war. It's a lot like the comic book The Walking Dead.

"Yeah, I'm hoping you're not really attached to that character."

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 151
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.