Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:50:18 PM
714237 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 151
Author Topic: Reading anything?  (Read 746462 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #795 on: June 02, 2011, 08:12:13 AM »

I KNOW!!!  I actually wanted to punch the author in the face after I read about the "Red Wedding!"  But at least one of the victims came back from the dead . . . . kind of.

My wife is reading it now, and I have given her no  spoilers whatsoever.  She's gonna be TICKED!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #796 on: June 06, 2011, 01:24:10 PM »

Ye-es.

And still more miscellaneous, or, short reviews of several graphic novels recently read.

Janet and Alex Evanovich's "Troublemaker" in 2 vols.

Best known for her Stephanie Plum series, she has another mystery series about a race car driver named Hooker and his female mechanic Barnaby. This is the 3rd book in the series, but the 1st in graphic format.

I was surprised at how much humor there was in it, but the humor worked well within the story.
Living in south Florida, the author seems to have the flavor of Miami and Key West down pat.
And, surprising, what happens in the story is alot more plausible than what happens in alot of other stories. I was impressed.

Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game" and Ender's Shadow" in grapic format. Each in 2 vols. v.1. "Battle School." v.2. "Command School."

I know Card has his adherents, including some on this board, but I was singularly unimprssed. Maybe it's the graphic format, but . . .

I found none of the characters to be credible.
The boys' by-play was unbelievable.
And I found the profanity grating to my ears.

Next time: the "Fantome," the "Kursk,", the "Medusa," and the "Titanic."
Hammock Rider

« Reply #797 on: June 13, 2011, 11:57:57 AM »

I KNOW!!!  I actually wanted to punch the author in the face after I read about the "Red Wedding!"  But at least one of the victims came back from the dead . . . . kind of.

My wife is reading it now, and I have given her no  spoilers whatsoever.  She's gonna be TICKED!

This series blows me away. And Dance of Dragons is coming out next month!

Right now I'm reading Upriver & Downstream. It's a collection of short stories and articles about fishing originally published in The New York Times.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #798 on: June 13, 2011, 05:39:59 PM »

"early economic thought"  I am kind of shocked by Aristotle. It's really barbaric and awful in many respects, yet for his time it was probably pretty forward thinking.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #799 on: June 13, 2011, 06:19:11 PM »

eh, I should start reading Blink sometime soon. If I finish it soon, I could start reading Dark Star

yeah no.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #800 on: June 13, 2011, 07:30:01 PM »

For my philosophy class, I had to sit down and read The Subjection of Women.  Damn, that was a hard one to read and get through.  The paragraphs just never seemed to end!

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #801 on: June 17, 2011, 05:41:14 PM »

Ye-es.

The Fantome, The Kursk, The Medusa, The Titanic

4 ships sank.
2 civilian. 2 military.
1 American. 1 British. 1 French. 1 Russian.
1 Aground. 1 Collision. 1 Internal explosion. 1 Storm.
1 west African. 1 north Atlantic. 1 Caribbean. 1 Murmansk.

You think there'd be no similiarities between them. But . . .

1. Politics played a large role in all four. If not before the loss, then after the loss.

2. Everyone forgets the all for one and one for all. As everyone starts looking out for number one. The lines being drawn along the lines of age, class, politics, and race.

3. All the losses were due to lack of knowledge.

4. Almost no one was punished for the losses. And if someone was punished, it was often the wrong person.

5. All the losses brought out the best and worst in human behavior.

And the four books . . .

Jim Carrier's "The Ship and the Storm"
Robert Moore's "A Time to Die"
Jonathan Miles' "The Wreck of the Medusa"
Jay Stevension's "The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Titanic"

Next time: Even more miscellaneous

Cthulhu

« Reply #802 on: June 26, 2011, 02:35:53 PM »

I just read Just after Sunset by Stephen King. It had a few lame short stories, but also some pretty good ones. N. kicked ass, for example.
I'm also about to read The 3 Stigmata of Palmer Eldricht by Philip K. Dick.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #803 on: June 26, 2011, 09:43:39 PM »

My continuing adventure through my public library's comic collection continues forward.  I am now reading the following:

American Vampire (Best damn vampire anything in the past few years, expect possibly Let Me In)
Dragon Drive (It's a new form of Digimon apparently)
Hunter X Hunter (Not too bad for the first two volumes)
Moonphase (More vampire stuff.  Not too bad, nothing special)
Emma (Who knew romance and British maids from the late 1800's made such a compelling story?)
K-On! (A pretty good comedy about a group of girls and their music club.)
Hikaru No Go (A very surprisingly good sports comic about the game of Go.  Makes me want to play it!)

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #804 on: June 26, 2011, 11:15:46 PM »

I'm currently about halfway through The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan. Its pretty good so far.

Cthulhu

« Reply #805 on: June 27, 2011, 12:45:42 PM »

Should I buy Dragons of Winter Night? (Second book in the Dragonlance series.) I've heard that the series is really good, but the first one just seemed allright. I was kinda p**sed off at some points, too:(SPOILERS for example, a few characters die, only to be brought back pages later. You can't do that.)
So I was wondering:Will it get better? Because I kinda feel like there is no weight to it. feel like characters dying doesn't have any consequences.
So, should I buy it?
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #806 on: June 29, 2011, 04:48:36 PM »

Should I buy Dragons of Winter Night? (Second book in the Dragonlance series.) I've heard that the series is really good, but the first one just seemed allright. I was kinda p**sed off at some points, too:(SPOILERS for example, a few characters die, only to be brought back pages later. You can't do that.)
So I was wondering:Will it get better? Because I kinda feel like there is no weight to it. feel like characters dying doesn't have any consequences.
So, should I buy it?

The series (IMHO) gets better as it goes along. And I really like the series and the authors. What you must understand is that the book you read was the first one written by the team of Weis and Hickman, and like most first time collaborations by somewhat inexperienced writers their first novel is normally not their best work. But as they become more experienced with their second novel and so on, their writing skills improve as do the books. But, I must add, I love the character of Fitzban in the first novel. A character that just makes me ROTFL!
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #807 on: June 29, 2011, 05:00:48 PM »

Ye-es.

Even more miscellaneous or short reviews of several graphic novels.

Two in the Halo series. Peter David's "Helljumper" and Fred van Lente's "Bloodline." I actually found the 2nd one to be the better of the two, as it is the more complex of the two graphic novels. Which is somewhat of a surprise as Peter David is one of my all-time favorite authors. But on the downlow, "Bloodline" is also the more confusing of the two, and when the characters get into their armour, it is almost impossible to tell one from the other. And both graphic novels suffer from overly confusing fight scenes.

Peter S. Beagle's "The Last Unicorn" A writer of over 30 books. Both fiction and non-fiction. Children's and adult's. This is probably his best known work. And if you read it, read it also for the interview with the author. A great ranconteur who has some great stories about the great people he has known, including Marilyn Monroe and her then husband Arthur Miller, who he knew when he was still in high school.

Terry Brooks' "Dark Wrath of Shannara." One of my favorite fantasy series. Supposedly written originally as a graphic novel. Maybe. But I swear I read it also in a  print version at sometime.  The only problem is that the artist's interpretation of the characters never match up with your interpretation of what the characters should look like.

Next time: Gary Corley's "The Pericles Commission"
Cthulhu

« Reply #808 on: June 29, 2011, 06:26:11 PM »

So, should I buy it?

The series (IMHO) gets better as it goes along. And I really like the series and the authors. What you must understand is that the book you read was the first one written by the team of Weis and Hickman, and like most first time collaborations by somewhat inexperienced writers their first novel is normally not their best work. But as they become more experienced with their second novel and so on, their writing skills improve as do the books. But, I must add, I love the character of Fitzban in the first novel. A character that just makes me ROTFL!
Thank you for the advice! TeddyR Thumbup
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #809 on: July 04, 2011, 09:26:51 AM »

Nearly finished Boneshaker, by Cherie Priest. It's the first steampunk novel I've tried, and it's very good.

Yesterday afternoon was nice and sunny, so I took my boat out on the lake with my book and a few cans of pop, and just kind of drifted and gently rocked, and read in near perfect peace and quiet. I hate being interrupted when I'm reading, so it's hard to beat being surrounded by water, far enough from anything that the loudest noises are only faintly heard.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 151
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.