Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:31:51 AM
714230 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 151
Author Topic: Reading anything?  (Read 746341 times)
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #825 on: July 20, 2011, 09:59:52 PM »

Currently working on - The Hobbit, The Great Hunt, and the Drawing of the Three.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #826 on: July 20, 2011, 11:43:25 PM »

Just finished George R. R. Martin's latest installment in A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE, entitled A DANCE WITH DRAGONS.  It is totally engrossing from start to finish, and - without giving away any specifics - he maintains his annoying habit of killing off truly admirable characters and allowing some that are total b*****ds to go one maiming and killing their merry way along!  That being said, you never quit caring about the story.    The man is truly one of the greats of our time.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #827 on: July 21, 2011, 05:33:52 PM »

mofo rising- yeah, I would have preferred more ideas and less info.
sideorderofninjas
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #828 on: July 23, 2011, 11:10:06 PM »

I'm working on Asmiov's "Foundation" series for the first time in years...

SideOrderOfNinjas
http://www.sideorderofninjas.com

"Wielding useless trivia like a katana."
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #829 on: July 26, 2011, 04:47:29 PM »

Ye-es.

The Monteparts' "Around the World on the 'QE2'" or 29 countries in 80 days and Paul Coelho's "The Alchemist" in graphic format.

While one masquerades as a travelogue, and the other masquerades as a work of fiction, both are on the subject of philosophy.

They, at least, get one thing right and one thing wrong.

What they get right. If you want to say something profound, then keep it simple.

And what they get wrong. "Change happens." In the 30 years since the Monteparts have sailed around the world . . .

The Panama Canal has become obsolete. It is now so obsolete, they are either building another canal along side it, or seriously consdering building another canal along side it.

Hong Kong is no longer part of the British empire, but part of mainland China.

Ceylon has had a name change to Sri Lanka.

Yalta is no longer part of the Soviet Union, nor is it part of Russia. It is part of the Ukraine, which became its own independent country, when the Soviet Union became Russia.

And Romania is no longer a communist country.

What has not changed are the natural and manmade wonders featured in the book. Of the 29 listed, only . . .

The World Trade Center in New York City, New York, of course, no longer exists.

The replica of the "Santa Maria" in Barcelona, Spain was destroyed in an arson fire.

And the Sky Parachute Jump was removed from Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park, California.

Next time: Weis and Hickman's "Secret of the Dragon" and et al.
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #830 on: July 27, 2011, 10:13:58 PM »

The Way of King - Really good read so far, but as Ambrose Bierce once said, "The covers of this book are too far apart".  Still the first 75 pagers point to it being a good book.

The Dragon Reborn - 3rd book in the Wheel of Time series. I'm really enjoying these so far, and its likely some of the best fantasy iv'e read.

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #831 on: July 28, 2011, 12:34:29 PM »

Currently reading "The Shimmer" by David Morrell after I finished 1984 (which was very good). It's been quiet at work, so I've managed to read about 200 in the last two days, 200 to go. It's pretty good so far, as there's some weird lights in this Texas town that cause people to go apes**t and kill each other. A pilot's wife disappears and he has to go and track her down in said town.

Vik
« Reply #832 on: July 28, 2011, 12:51:11 PM »

The first book of Stephen King's The Dark Tower series.  Thumbup
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #833 on: July 28, 2011, 02:09:16 PM »

The first book of Stephen King's The Dark Tower series.  Thumbup

What a concidence!  I'm reading that too... in comic book form.   TeddyR

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #834 on: August 02, 2011, 02:45:51 PM »

Half-way through this entertaining yet foul piece of adapted fiction. I bought this book basically because the cover caught my eye (it looked very intriguing) and because it had a lot of mixed reviews based on the nature of the content. This book is absolutely diabolically disgusting that it will turn the stomach of most casual readers. There's baby's being burned, horses being spat on, dogs having their throats chewed out, demons, appalling language and that's just the first 15 pages! It tells the tale of two brothers travelling (and being hunted) across Europe in the thirteen hundreds seeking their fortune and always finding trouble. I am loving this book as it is genuinely engaging, shocking and even funny. 100/10 so far....

Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #835 on: August 02, 2011, 06:27:57 PM »

Bed of Nails by Michael Slade.  Somehow I missed this one.  I have read just over 100 pages and it has already been pretty odd.  Which is just fine as that is at least half the reason I like Slade's work.   Wink   Jack the Ripper, cannibals, Cthulhu, cannibals, a Viking biker, cannibals, Goths, the World Horror Convention in Seattle, cannibals, an island in the South Pacific - with cannibals - and the RCMP (of course).  What's not to love?

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #836 on: August 02, 2011, 07:33:04 PM »

Bed of Nails by Michael Slade.  Somehow I missed this one.  I have read just over 100 pages and it has already been pretty odd.  Which is just fine as that is at least half the reason I like Slade's work.   Wink   Jack the Ripper, cannibals, Cthulhu, cannibals, a Viking biker, cannibals, Goths, the World Horror Convention in Seattle, cannibals, an island in the South Pacific - with cannibals - and the RCMP (of course).  What's not to love?

What a coincidence. I finally got around to reading Hangman, which is the one Slade book I'd managed to miss. And I'm about 100 pages into it. Weird.

The story itself is not so weird at this point, at least by Slade standards. Victims being hung from a noose in their homes, each with one more limb sawed off, and a word puzzle scrawled in blood on the wall. As Slade goes, that's a pretty straightforward detective story. Still plenty of pages left for things to get weird though.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #837 on: August 02, 2011, 08:37:55 PM »

Re-reading all original Lovecraft.  Have re-read many of the greater classics ("At the Mountains of Madness,") for example.   Thoroughly enjoyable.  :)

Also am reading _A Game of Thrones_ for the first time.  Rip-roaring soap opera for men.  :)  Brutal books too.  Enjoying.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #838 on: August 03, 2011, 02:21:23 PM »

Currently reading "Does the Noise in my Head Bother You?", the autobiograpy of Aerosmith's Steven Tyler. Some funny stuff but it's been a bit of a chore to get through because he writes the same way he talks -- lots of stream-of-consciousness, rapid fire rambling. Some chapters are coherent, while others remind me of the homeless guys I'd see in the Staten Island Ferry terminal wandering around talking to themselves.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #839 on: August 03, 2011, 02:36:53 PM »

http://www.cracked.com/blog/8-hilarious-moments-from-otherwise-terrible-movies/

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 151
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.