Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:07:43 PM
714227 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 151
Author Topic: Reading anything?  (Read 746292 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #840 on: August 05, 2011, 09:14:54 PM »

The first book of Stephen King's The Dark Tower series.  Thumbup

What a concidence!  I'm reading that too... in comic book form.   TeddyR

Just got through it.  Man, I could not keep focused while reading it.  It just didn't engage in the storyline or characters at all.  That sucks because I was hoping to really enjoy it.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #841 on: August 06, 2011, 02:58:33 PM »

Ye-es.

Weis and Hickman's "The Secret of the Dragon."

The second in that series. As in the first they keep up the trend of creating "villains" that are "better" than some of the "heroes." But even the "worst" of the "heroes" and "villains" gets a moment when you can feel some sympathy for them.

And again they continue with their being more than two sides in the story. If done right, as here, that adds complexity to the story, for yesterday's enemy can become today's ally, and today's ally can become tomorrow's enemy.

The story should wrap up in the third and last volume, which I have yet to see.

Also Clive Cussler's "The Wrecker."

The second one in that series, and why sophomore efforts are normally regarded as being weaker than the freshman effort.

More villains and heroes this time, but that only diffuses the conflict between the main hero and the main villain. Though, some of the villains are complex enough, that one can actually have some sympathy for them.

Both books feature a climatic chase between the hero and the villain. But the chase in the first book is more exciting.

Unlike the first book, where you know the villain from the get go, this time the villain is introduced more slowly. An introduction which I don't think works that well. But, there is a second secret villain, who is also introduced slowly, and I think that introduction works better.

I do cred both the hero and author with, even at the end, seeking justice instead of revenge, when the hero can quite justifiablely seek revenge.

There is a third in the series after this one, in which the hero goes after international villains instead of the previous national villains, as several international spy rings seek the plans for a super secret American submarine. The third I have yet to read.

Next time:  Warcraft" and "Starcraft" in graphic format.

Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #842 on: August 11, 2011, 11:07:48 PM »

Trying to re-get into the Star Wars expanded universe by re-reading Heir to the Empire.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #843 on: August 12, 2011, 12:57:03 PM »

Also re-reading through this for the 3rd or 4th time:

I have read this and THE PSYCHOTRONIC ENCYCLOPEDIA OF FILM over and over again.  I look up movies in them just about every day.  In fact, I read my original copy of THE PSYCHOTRONIC ENCYCLOPEDIA OF FILM so may times, the spine split in half and I had to buy a new copy. 

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #844 on: August 12, 2011, 12:58:12 PM »

This, among other things:

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #845 on: August 12, 2011, 02:07:09 PM »

Finished Hangman, which I'd have to say is Michael Slade's weakest book. Good, very readable, some interesting facts mixed with the fiction and one twist I didn't see coming, but his other books are much better in terms of creepiness, surprises and overall weirdness. Probably didn't help that I already knew the book's biggest shock, which is referenced in the later books I'd read previously.

Once again reading bits and pieces while looking for another book that really appeals to me. More Lovecraft, and the first couple of chapters of Cinderella Ate My Daughter, Peggy Orenstein's analysis of the "girly-girl culture" that has exploded in recent years, and the effect it's having on children. Interesting, but not quite what I'm looking for right now.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #846 on: August 13, 2011, 08:15:41 PM »

Kirkpatrick Sale "Rebels Against The Future: The Luddites And Their War On The Industrial Revolution: Lessons For The Computer Age"
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #847 on: August 14, 2011, 04:31:54 AM »

Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #848 on: August 14, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »

Weirdness  continues...picked up a copy of Nietzsche yesterday at the bookstore.  Buggedout

Finished the Slade: found I had predicted the outcome at about half way through.  Too much familiarity perhaps.  TongueOut

Went to my favourite 'antiquarian' book shop in Toronto yesterday: confined myself to purchasing three books, all on fairly technical aspects of horseback riding and training.  Two of them are by famous "ODGs" - Old Dead Guys - written before I was born, and I am having SO much fun reading them.  They support my own observations for the most part and (by current standards) are delightfully outspoken doing it!  TeddyR

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #849 on: August 14, 2011, 12:38:36 PM »

Finished the Slade: found I had predicted the outcome at about half way through.  Too much familiarity perhaps.  TongueOut

Both Bed of Nails and Hangman seem to be weaker books in the series (although I think Bed of Nails was better than Hangman), and both seem to be between really awesome books. Hangman sits between Burnt Bones and Death's Door, two really disturbing and interesting Mephisto stories. Bed of Nails falls between Death's Door and Swastika, the book that hooked me on the series. There just seems to be a little stretch in there where Slade knocks it out of the park in one book, follows it with something that's just OK, then puts out another great book, and another weaker book. It stands out for me because the first seven books, up to Burnt Bones, are consistently great. I think it might be mostly due to changes in the writing team over the years, and perhaps also the growing cast of characters, with all their increasing backstory and assorted baggage. I thought they were starting to weigh the books down after a while, and it seems Slade might have thought the same, since the latest, Red Snow, killed off so many characters in what seemed to me like he was culling the herd.

I'm very eager to see the next Slade book, just to see how everything shakes out in the aftermath of that, and what he does with the story now that the cast is whittled back down to DeClercq, Chandler and some of the more distinctive and functional supporting characters.

---------------------
Cthulhu

« Reply #850 on: August 16, 2011, 08:22:12 AM »

I just finished Elric of Melniboné.
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #851 on: August 19, 2011, 07:58:34 AM »

The first book of Stephen King's The Dark Tower series.  Thumbup
The first three are awesome books after that they just kinda drop off. I haven't even finished the last book because it was just kinda boring.

Smells like popcorn and shame
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #852 on: August 19, 2011, 08:00:53 AM »

Just finished A Game of Thrones, that was such a good book! Now i've got to catch up on some philosophy. I got a book about cynic philosophers and Plato's The Republic.

Smells like popcorn and shame
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #853 on: August 22, 2011, 03:47:20 PM »

Ye-es!

"Warcraft," or I should say graphic novels based on the video game. "Legends" are the short stories, that come four to the volume, but there are some longer stories, such as "Death Knight," "Shaman," "Shadow Knight," and "The Sunwell Trilogy," some of which I have read, and some of which I have not read, that cover two or more volumes.

The good is that many of the stories are by authors that I have read and enjoyed before, such as Richard A. Knaak and Christie Golden..

The bad is like in most graphic novels, the fight scenes are needlessly confusing, so you cannot tell what is going on. And as in some graphic novels, the characters are poorly defined, both in the drawings and the writings, so it is hard to tell one character, from the other. And for the first time, some of the captions for the stories are basically unreadable.

The interesting is that for some reason minotaurs are now called taurens, and zombies are called the undead. And such fantasy villains as goblins, ogres, and orcs can now be the heroes in some stories.

And I am also reading "Starcraft," or stories based upon the video game, which is the science fiction counterpart of "Warcraft."

"Frontline" is the series of short stories, and there is at least one longer story called "The Ghost Academy."

"The Ghost Academy" has a good concept, ten academy students, who have some extrasensory powers, including the power to become invisible, but it is poorly executed in both the drawings and the writing, so it is sometimes hard to tell one student from the other students.

The good is that many of the stories are written by David Gerrold and Keith R. A. DeCandido, or authors who I have enjoyed reading before.

The bad is much the same faults as that can be found in the "Warcraft" graphic novels. Still whatever the faults, I found the stories to be better than the graphic novels based on "Halo" or Orson Scott Card's "Ender."

The interesting. In worlds where everyone seems to have become heterosexual, there are seemingly two bisexual characters in one of the stories. One male and one female.

Next time: Douglas Ward's "Berlitz's Complete Guide to Cruising and Cruise Ships."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #854 on: August 22, 2011, 08:59:10 PM »

Reading a little Edgar Allan Poe, while I decide on a novel to read. Just read The Cask of Amontillado for the umpteenth time. It's been a favourite since I first read it in Grade 10 English.

---------------------
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 151
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.