Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 07:08:55 AM
714148 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 151
Author Topic: Reading anything?  (Read 745572 times)
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #885 on: October 13, 2011, 01:58:31 PM »

The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer by Jennifer Lynch. I recently started watching Twin Peaks on Netflix streaming, and found a pdf file of the diary on a fan site. It gets pretty disturbing, but it really helps put some pieces together about what's going on.

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #886 on: October 13, 2011, 02:03:41 PM »

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #887 on: October 13, 2011, 03:07:29 PM »

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Familiar with the story, seen any number of derivative works, homages, parodies, etc., but never actually read the book. I like it so far, even knowing what's going on. It must really have been something when it was first published. The relationship between Jekyll and Hyde is a mystery that is only hinted at for much of the book. All we know is that Jekyll is discreetly supporting a younger man of poor reputation. The openly-discussed theory is that Hyde is blackmailing the doctor, but there are moments when I think Stevenson subtly suggests that a homosexual relationship is suspected. That Jekyll and Hyde were the same person must have been a shocking plot twist in its day.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #888 on: October 13, 2011, 07:47:27 PM »

Fearful Majesty: the Life and Reign of Ivan the Terrible by Benson Bobrick.

After reading several biographies of actors and musical groups and ending up feeling disappointed and unimpressed with the subjects, I thought I'd tackle one that could not possibly make the person look any worse than my expectations.   BounceGiggle  I am only 60 pages in and I am enjoying this immensely!  Bobrick does an outstanding job of pulling together all sorts of information - there are twelve pages of bibliography  Buggedout - and making it very readable.  Much of what Bobrick writes goes toward explaining the whys and wherefores of Russian attitudes and perspectives: a great deal is making more sense to me now.  It is both fascinating and entertaining.  I am not sure if the humour that keeps arising is Bobrick's, or is inherent to the material.  For example: (discussing the Moskovite legal system under Ivan III)  "...Though the Mongolians had introduced torture into Russian legal procedure, it was High Church enthusiasm for the methods of the Spanish Inquisition that apparently contributed to its wider adoption."  I'm looking forward to the next 280 pages.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 08:07:57 PM by Newt » Logged

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #889 on: October 13, 2011, 09:27:14 PM »

I love Russian history, and that one sounds awesome!

If you've never read it, Robert K. Massey's PETER THE GREAT is one of the finest biographies ever written, about one of the most fascinating men who ever lived.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #890 on: October 16, 2011, 04:29:09 AM »

On a new cycle of books after finishing the last ones, which were not so good (see above).

The Riddle of Gravitation by Peter G. Bergmann - Having a difficult time with this one. It's a slim volume. The first few chapters are the obligatory recap of the already understood basics before he gets to the good stuff. I'm not a physicist, and I have a tenuous understanding of relativity. This book does not do a good job of explaining the basics. I really just need to sit down and spend some time with these equations...

Truman by David McCullough - Fantastic so far. McCullough is really the go-to guy for popular history. In depth with out sacrificing readability. I'm several hundred pages in, and I haven't even got to Truman as a Senator. Really, a great read.

Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray - Pretty good so far. Thackeray is a sly observer of humanity, and his text makes it sound like he is being straightforward while he is actually saying the exact opposite thing. Amusing, but I'm not very far in yet.

A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin - Love this series. This book hasn't really grabbed me yet, but this is probably the best fantasy series I've ever read.

Dagon and Other Macabre Tales by H.P. Lovecraft - The third book in the seminal Arkham House collections. These are clearly Lovecraft's lesser works, but still well worth reading.

People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks - History of a singular copy of the Holy Bible. Seems decent enough so far. Interesting structure.

The Savage Sword of Conan, Volume II by Various - You know what you're in for with Conan comics. These are really some fantastic '70s comics. I love the artwork, I'd read it solely for that reason. Luckily, the stories aren't too shabby either.

Cycle of Myths by John Smelcer - A fairly slim volume of Alaska Native mythology. I'm Tlingit. This is a bit better than his last book, in that it provides some background to the cultures which provide the stories he presents. Not amazing, but a decent enough effort.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #891 on: October 16, 2011, 07:10:58 AM »

I love Russian history, and that one sounds awesome!

Indy, every few pages I hear the closing line from that Boney M song in my head:  "Oh, those Russians!"   Wink

Thanks for the suggestion of the Peter the Great bio. I'll keep it in mind.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #892 on: October 17, 2011, 08:40:40 AM »

*Prepares to duck shoes* I bought a copy of Bill O'Reilly's Pinheads and Patriots last week: most entertaining and very funny too. I'm going to try and get hold of his book Killing Lincoln next.  TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #893 on: October 17, 2011, 09:31:15 AM »

Finished Jekyll and Hyde. Interesting to get the story from Utterson's viewpoint, then Lanyon's and then finally the doctor's. Reading Jekyll's motives, what he wanted to accomplish vs. what he actually achieved, why he continued as he did and how it all worked, I see that most of the stories derived from this do not do it justice at all. Jekyll is a great study of the contrast of a man's public image and his private pleasures, and the tragedy caused by refusing to own and acknowledge and take responsibility for that part of his nature that embarrassed him.

What really makes it effective is that the reader never specifically finds out what Hyde has been up to for most of his existence, spent fulfilling the secret fantasies of Jekyll. He might be a sadist or have some peculiar fetish. He might enjoy the company of prostitutes. He might be gay. He might like to drink or do drugs or maybe just get rowdy. It could be anything, which invites readers to supply their own secret desires and put themselves in Henry Jekyll's position. What would you do if you could have a whole other identity with which to enjoy your wildest fantasies without any risk to your reputation or any personal responsibility?

And what would happen when your chickens finally come home to roost? Jekyll did not separate Hyde from himself. Hyde was always part of him when he was himself, and he'd made Hyde stronger, bolder and more eager to be set free. Not to mention that Hyde without Jekyll's influence had indulged himself far more than the good doctor would ever have imagined. It reminded me of a quote from Lovecraft, to the effect that when you hide things out of shame, there is no limit to how shameful they can become. By pushing that part of himself away, Jekyll lost control of it.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #894 on: October 23, 2011, 04:16:31 PM »

Ye-es!

Douglas Ward's and MEG's (Maritime Evaluation Group) "Berlitz Complete Guide to Cruising and Cruiseships." 2004 edition

One  tends to think change happens slowly, but change can happen quickly as this book shows the changes that occurred in cruise lines and cruise ships in only three years, between this edition and the last edition in 2001, which I read.

And it shows that not all decreases are bad, and not all increases are good.

Decrease in . . .
speed
service
age of ship
age of passengers
libraries
smoking
aesthetics
fares
cuisine
amenities
visits to the bridge
guests on board
tables for 2
dancing
midnite buffest

Increase in . . .
size of ship
number of passengers
cost of ship
balconies
handicap accesibility
cabin TVs
self-service laundrettes
cinemas
safety concern
children
entertainment
"nickel 'n' diming"
casualness
enviromental concern
standardization

Next time: Something from King

Next next time: another guidebook to cruise lines and cruise ships
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #895 on: October 23, 2011, 04:24:23 PM »

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #896 on: October 24, 2011, 05:01:52 AM »

I thought that this was a picture of Steve Coogan: just for a minute there.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #897 on: October 24, 2011, 05:18:56 AM »

I thought that this was a picture of Steve Coogan: just for a minute there.  Smile

It is.

Vik
« Reply #898 on: October 24, 2011, 08:35:56 AM »

The Rum Diary by Hunter S. Thompson
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #899 on: October 24, 2011, 12:33:58 PM »

Just finished this....

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 151
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.