Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:48:42 AM
714253 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 151
Author Topic: Reading anything?  (Read 746615 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #975 on: February 06, 2012, 10:18:25 PM »

Sweet Tooth Vol. 4: Endangered Species by Jeff Lemire

After finally breaking Gus and the rest of the animal kids out of their captivity, Jeppard and a small group head north to Alaska to see if they finally discover the truth of the plague that killed the world and the origin of Gus.  Along the way, they discover an old dam with a mysterious crippled man named Walter Fish living in it.

The series starting off as a very slow series for me when I first read the first volume of it, but overtime, it has gradually grown into a dark and fasincating tale of survival in a hostile and dying world, much like The Road.  The artwork by Jeff Lemire is rather ugly, but matches well with the tone of the story.  I especially like the sequences where everything is done with water colors.

Sweet Tooth I find to be a very underrated and a lot of the times, overlook comic in the grand scheme of things.  With Jeff Lemire finding more and more success as he currently writes Animal Man, Frankenstien, and later on Justice League Dark; I hoping those runs can encouraging people to check out this work.  It's a slow burn, but the characters and mystery are so worth the journey.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #976 on: February 07, 2012, 12:22:11 AM »

I started reading my copy of 1984 which I bought 3 years ago.......I'm 7 chapters in and love it

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« Reply #977 on: February 07, 2012, 02:05:05 PM »

I just finished A Dance with Dragons...I had waited to buy it because I'd read so many bad reviews, but I enjoyed it greatly.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
BTM

« Reply #978 on: February 07, 2012, 02:06:21 PM »

Not to long ago I read all of Stieg Larson's books (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played With Fire, The Girl Who Caused a Bit of a Ruckus, The Girl's Who's Only In Half the Book Yet Still Gets a Title Mention, etc).  

I have to say, while I thought they were good, I'm not sure they're 65 million copies sold good.  I suppose certain parts (especially dealing with various historical events) carry more weight if you're from Sweden, but to me, I think the biggest problems is Lisbeth Salander, by far the most interesting character in the three novels, is not even really the focus.  I mean, she's only in about half the first book, and the next two books, while a direct result of her actions, she's missing for big chunks as we go around seeing what other characters are doing.  (I often kept thinking, "Come on, let's get back to Sally!")

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #979 on: February 07, 2012, 04:32:23 PM »

I think the biggest problems is Lisbeth Salander, by far the most interesting character in the three novels, is not even really the focus.  I mean, she's only in about half the first book, and the next two books, while a direct result of her actions, she's missing for big chunks as we go around seeing what other characters are doing.  (I often kept thinking, "Come on, let's get back to Sally!")

Have you ever read LES MISERABLES?  Jean Valjean disappears for huge chunks of the book while they talk about historical events and introduce new characters. 

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #980 on: February 08, 2012, 02:27:10 PM »

For the fifth time since I was thirteen....

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #981 on: February 08, 2012, 07:24:36 PM »

Just picked up a goodie from the library today... Roger Corman's autobiography, "How I Made a Hundred Movies in Hollywood and Never Lost A Dime." Can't wait to start reading it!

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

« Reply #982 on: February 09, 2012, 02:45:57 PM »

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

« Reply #983 on: February 09, 2012, 02:58:25 PM »

Just picked up a goodie from the library today... Roger Corman's autobiography, "How I Made a Hundred Movies in Hollywood and Never Lost A Dime." Can't wait to start reading it!

Really fun  book! If you can find them, I'd recommend....

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #984 on: February 10, 2012, 08:43:24 AM »

Right now I'm in the midst of Roger Corman's autobiography, "How I Made a Hundred Movies in Hollywood and Never Lost a Dime." Very entertaining read!!!

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
ChaosTheory

« Reply #985 on: February 11, 2012, 02:36:17 PM »

Not to long ago I read all of Stieg Larson's books (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played With Fire, The Girl Who Caused a Bit of a Ruckus, The Girl's Who's Only In Half the Book Yet Still Gets a Title Mention, etc).  

I have to say, while I thought they were good, I'm not sure they're 65 million copies sold good.  I suppose certain parts (especially dealing with various historical events) carry more weight if you're from Sweden, but to me, I think the biggest problems is Lisbeth Salander, by far the most interesting character in the three novels, is not even really the focus.  I mean, she's only in about half the first book, and the next two books, while a direct result of her actions, she's missing for big chunks as we go around seeing what other characters are doing.  (I often kept thinking, "Come on, let's get back to Sally!")

That was my reaction too.  Might not have mattered so much if Blomkvist wasn't such a giant nothing of a character (& I love how literally every woman under the age of 80 can't wait to have marathon sessions of no-strings sex with him just b/c he isn't a nazi or a rapist.  Projecting much, Larsson?) 
But if you like Swedish potboilers, Herman Mankell's Wallander series is pretty OK.

Currently reading Make Love! The Bruce Campbell Way - loving it, even better than If Chins Could Kill.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #986 on: February 11, 2012, 08:41:44 PM »

Fatale #1 by Ed Brubaker & Sean Philips

After the death of his story writing godfather, Nicolas Lash discovers an old manuscript for a novel his godfather wrote back in the 50's before he ever wrote his first novel.  Apparently, whatever is written in it is very important to a mysterious group of people.

The story from there flashbacks to the 50s to Dominic Raines during the time and investigating a dirty cop named Walter with the help of Josephine, the cop's lover who never ages.  Meanwhile, a mass and brutal series of murders has happened and the dirty cop is investigating what seems to be a cult involvement.

Fatale is a noir horror comic, that takes its inspirations from H.P. Lovecraft.  If that isn't obvious, please refer to the variant cover of the first issue to make that all clear.  The story has set up tons of mysteries, in the present and in the past, that are quite engaging and interesting.  Not much in the work of character development, but only two issues have been released at this point and this minor detail will soon be resolved.  The art work is very good, looking very much like an old school detective comic, but with far more grisly details to it.

Fatale #1 is an interesting start to what seems like a very promising series.  Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips (the men behind Criminal, Sleeper, and Incognito) have spun a tale here that hopefully keep up the intrigue as it goes along.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Vik
« Reply #987 on: February 12, 2012, 06:46:19 AM »

Recent reading:

How not to write a screenplay - Denny Martin Flin
Story Engineering - Larry Brooks
Carrie - Stephen King
Ubik - Philip K. Dick

Right now I'm reading Direct your own damn movie! by Charles Kaufmann, which is interesting so far.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #988 on: February 12, 2012, 10:22:17 AM »

I just finished Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child's newest Agent Pendergast story, COLD VENGEANCE.  It is a direct follow  up to the last Pendergast story, FEVER DREAM, and the story will be concluded in the next volume. 

Agent Pendergast discovered in the last novel that his wife, Helen, had been deliberately murdered instead of dying in a tragic hunting accident 15 years before.  He spent the previous story trying to discover the reason for the murder, which involved a giant pharaceutical company, a lost painting by John James Audobon, and several daring chases.  At the end of the tale, he discovered that his wife's brother, Judson Esterhazy, may have played some role in her death.

COLD VENGEANCE begins with Pendergast attempting to lure Esterhazy deep into the Scottish moors to confront him about his sister's death, and then embarks on a wild chase story that eventually links both Helen and Judson to a top secret group of neo-Nazis called the Covenant.

I absolutely DEVOURED this novel!  The Pendergast stories are irresistably compelling, and I highly recommmend them.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Cthulhu

« Reply #989 on: February 14, 2012, 10:23:17 AM »

I just read  Night in the lonesome October by Richard Laymon.
It rocked.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 151
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.