Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:56:54 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 151
Author Topic: Reading anything?  (Read 742947 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1035 on: March 22, 2012, 07:47:22 AM »

Frank81
« Reply #1036 on: March 22, 2012, 07:59:43 AM »

You don't need that  book in NYC, here people  are  used  to p**sing ON the public.
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1037 on: March 22, 2012, 04:42:34 PM »

Ye-es!

"Zombies! Zombies! Zombies!" edited by Otto Penzler.

Something of a companion volume to his short story collection "Vampire Archive."

The stories in this one contain action, horror, humor. Are commentaries on the political, religious, and social issues of the day. And contain everything that makes life worth living, namely, nudity, profanity, sex, and violence.

What they do not contain is the quality of the stories in his previous volume on vampires. That is not Penzler's fault, as he includes the best zombie stories he can find in the pulps, but the quality of the writers does not reach the level of the other volume.

Also you do not get the variety of locations you get in the other volume, as vampires seem to be universal. Here the locations mostly seem restricted to Africa, Haiti, the U.S., and for some strange reason the U.K.

This volume does contain the first zombie story "Dead Men Working in the Canefields," which was published in 1929. There were zombie stories before that, but the zombies were called "the lving undead." This story seems to be the first time in a story that zombies were called zombies.

And there is an 1-page bio on each author, which I enjoy reading, unlike some people.

Now, I'd like to see a collection of wereanimal short stories. Not only werewolves, but also, as there are . . .

werehyenas and wereleopards in Africa.
weresnakes and weretigers in Asia
weredingos in Australia
werebears and wereboars in Europe
werecoyotes and wereeagles in North America
werejaguars in in South America
and weresharks in the South Pacific.

Only Antarctica, which was uninhabited much of the time, seems to lack wereanimals. And, frankly, werepenguins do not seem to cut it.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #1038 on: March 24, 2012, 09:45:43 PM »

Animal Man Vol. 1 by: Grant Morrison

Buddy Baker is a former c/d list superhero known as Animal Man who decides to get back into the game.  However, things won't be easy, even on his first assignment involving a research lab and a bunch of monkeys.  Even as he has to deal with those things, his family also deals with their own issues as well.

When DC relaunched 52 brand news titles in September 2011, one of them was Animal Man.  Out of curiousity, I decided to head to the character's first series and most iconic run ever.  It's a solid superhero story, with some mystery that is hiding itself in the background at first and very solid character development.  Heck, I don't even mind the flat coloring in this comic like I normally due with old comics from the past.  The only problem I find with this is that it feels very heavyhanded and trying to push an agenda, that while is good, comes off as very annoying (even to some of the characters in the book).

It's an interesting start to a famous run, but has yet to revealed what make it so special so far in my eyes.  I'll keep reading, but it's going to have impress me more than it did so far.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #1039 on: March 24, 2012, 10:38:32 PM »

It's an interesting start to a famous run, but has yet to revealed what make it so special so far in my eyes.  I'll keep reading, but it's going to have impress me more than it did so far.

It, um, changes considerably after the first paperback collection.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1040 on: March 25, 2012, 07:38:08 AM »

Shirly Jackson-Novels and Stories

I can't think of any authour that I like better...maybe Charles Fort.

GO DOWN TOGETHER

Wow.

Just f**king wow.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Vik
« Reply #1041 on: March 25, 2012, 10:53:32 AM »

Finished reading 'The Alchemist' by Paulo Coelho today. It was pretty good? Not sure what the big deal is, honestly.

Now reading this:

InformationGeek
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #1042 on: March 25, 2012, 03:31:46 PM »

Oh I know.  The Internet has sadly spoiled a lot of the run already for me so I know already of what is to come.  Volume 3 is going to be much different.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #1043 on: March 26, 2012, 03:14:52 AM »

Oh I know.  The Internet has sadly spoiled a lot of the run already for me so I know already of what is to come.  Volume 3 is going to be much different.

Yeah, you really lose a lot in not being there when it happened. At the time, this was really revolutionary stuff, but now it's normal. One thing, if you can ignore what you know now, pay attention to what an incredibly tight narrative Morrison accomplished. Remember, there was nothing out there like this when he was originally writing it.The next two volumes of Animal Man are fantastic.

"The last enemy that shall be defeated is Death."

It's really a great run, and you don't need the meta-fiction stuff, it's really good.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Frank81
« Reply #1044 on: March 26, 2012, 11:24:47 AM »

Buddy Baker is a former c/d list superhero known as Animal Man who decides to get back into the game.  However, things won't be easy, even on his first assignment involving a research lab and a bunch of monkeys.  Even as he has to deal with those things, his family also deals with their own issues as well.

When DC relaunched 52 brand news titles in September 2011, one of them was Animal Man.  Out of curiousity, I decided to head to the character's first series and most iconic run ever.  It's a solid superhero story, with some mystery that is hiding itself in the background at first and very solid character development.  Heck, I don't even mind the flat coloring in this comic like I normally due with old comics from the past.  The only problem I find with this is that it feels very heavyhanded and trying to push an agenda, that while is good, comes off as very annoying (even to some of the characters in the book).

I'm not a  Grant Morrison fan, mainly cause of his animal 'rights' views in tis series.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #1045 on: March 26, 2012, 02:27:17 PM »

I first read it in '76.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
InformationGeek
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #1046 on: March 26, 2012, 08:48:24 PM »

I'm not a  Grant Morrison fan, mainly cause of his animal 'rights' views in tis series.

I think the he is pretty good and definitely nowhere close to as preachy as he was in this run.  However, I suspect of him taking lots of drugs.  There is no way he wasn't on something while writing Arkham Asylum and Batman R.I.P.

Yeah, you really lose a lot in not being there when it happened. At the time, this was really revolutionary stuff, but now it's normal.

That's probably why I'm not in love with like Watchmen or Sandman either, both series being very meh for me.  On the plus side though, Hellbazer by Jamie Delano is pretty damn awesome so I suppose there is a classic series from the past that I can love.

Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #1047 on: March 28, 2012, 08:52:08 AM »

Im just following the cool kids...

Its great.
Books with female leads should be more like this and less like Twili... Ah, that other popular female lead teen book.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #1048 on: March 28, 2012, 11:43:59 AM »

Carrying over my current James Bond obsession from films to books, I'm currently reading Roger Moore's autobiography, "My Word Is My Bond"

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1049 on: April 01, 2012, 01:36:48 PM »

Ye-es!

Darren Shan's "Cirque du Freak" (in graphic format)
v.08 Allies of the Night
v.09 Killers of the Dawn
v.10 The Lake of Souls
v.11 Lord of the Shadows
v.12 Sons of Destiny (final volume)

There are beginnings of a good writer here, but this isn't yet. You need to be a good writer to cover the time span in this 12-volume series, and he wasn't that good yet. He needed to tighten up the time covered for it to be better. But you can see what he was to become.

Robert K. Elder's "The Film that Changed my Life"

There are few better at disecting a director's film, then another director. And here's proof of that.

The only name you need to know is Edward Rowe Snow for books on the subjects of the sea and/or New England. And here's his . . .

"Tales of Terror and Tragedy"

He had almost a hundred books published on those subjects, and maybe because he was so successful, because many of the stories he tells began on his radio program, where you had to be clear, concise, and interesting. And this continues into his books.

William Hoffer's "Saved the Story of the 'Andrea Doria' the Greatest Sea Rescue in History"

Another sea story and probably next to the sinking of the "Titanic," the greatest passenger ship disaster of the 20th century. For a number of reasons.

(1) The passengers included actress Ruth Roman, songwriter Jerry Stoller, the mayor of Philadelphia, etc.

(2) It happened just outside New York City, or the media capital of the world at that time.

(3) And I believe it was one of the first sinkings captured on film and broadcast on TV.

It does have a number of other similiarities with the "Titanic."

(1) A ship going to fast for the weather conditions.

(2) Passengers left to their own devices by the crew, which led to a needless loss of life

(3) And lifeoboats, too few in number, or could not not be lowered because of the list of the ship.

Fortunately, there were a couple of reasons the loss of life was not as great as the "Titanic."

(1) The weather and seas were calm.

(2) Because it happend just outside New York City, there were alot of other ships that came to the rescue with their own lifeboats. Freighters, naval vessels, other passenger ships, tankers, etc. From many countries.

(3) And it took along time for the ship to sink, which gave time to get everyone off that was still alive. Actually, everybody was surprised at how long it took the ship to sink.

Next time: because this is the 150th anniversary of the Civil War, a couple of books on the subject with a slightly different slant on the subject.

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 151
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.