Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:05:46 AM
714234 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 151
Author Topic: Reading anything?  (Read 746423 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1080 on: April 27, 2012, 05:10:24 PM »

Read 11/22/63 FIRST.  It is an amazing piece of work!
(I live an hour from where Kennedy was shot.  I have walked Dealey Plaza and been to the Sixth Floor Museum more times than I can count.)

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #1081 on: April 27, 2012, 07:33:10 PM »

(I live an hour from where Kennedy was shot.  I have walked Dealey Plaza and been to the Sixth Floor Museum more times than I can count.)

My wife picked that up for me because she thought I would find it interesting. I haven't picked it up yet. Since I've finished my MBA, however, I might actually have a little time to crack it. The evening weather is gorgeous in Arizona and it looks like just the book to settle into the hammock with along with a nice cold beverage.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1082 on: April 27, 2012, 08:36:04 PM »

I'm nearly done with THE GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNET'S NEST.
It's a fascinating trilogy, although I'll admit some aspects of Swedish culture are very  . . . . foreign!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Frank81
« Reply #1083 on: April 30, 2012, 11:46:47 AM »

UhOh, You're  an hour  away  from Dealy and  been to the sixth floor many times.. folks, we've  found the second  gunman, call  Oliver  Stone. TeddyR  Seriously, It is  an ongoing tragedy  that  the Kennedy  assassination has become  a  cottage  industry  for every  raving mad person who can write  any theory and present it as  fact. It's a  Closed Case  to me. It's  just sad it'll never  go away. Bluesad
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #1084 on: May 01, 2012, 04:57:02 AM »

And I bought this...

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1085 on: May 01, 2012, 06:19:18 AM »

UhOh, You're  an hour  away  from Dealy and  been to the sixth floor many times.. folks, we've  found the second  gunman, call  Oliver  Stone. TeddyR  Seriously, It is  an ongoing tragedy  that  the Kennedy  assassination has become  a  cottage  industry  for every  raving mad person who can write  any theory and present it as  fact. It's a  Closed Case  to me. It's  just sad it'll never  go away. Bluesad

I was a serious conspiracy buff in college, as I have grown older I can see that Oswald may indeed have acted alone, but there are just enough odd pieces of evidence that point to a second gunmant that I never can completely buy it. That is what makes the whole thing so fascinating to me - there is so much we will never know.

BTW, I was born three weeks afterward, so unless my mom let me play with guns in utero, I am absolved as a suspect!

Frank81
« Reply #1086 on: May 01, 2012, 07:40:59 AM »

I was a serious conspiracy buff in college, as I have grown older I can see that Oswald may indeed have acted alone, but there are just enough odd pieces of evidence that point to a second gunmant that I never can completely buy it. That is what makes the whole thing so fascinating to me - there is so much we will never know.

BTW, I was born three weeks afterward, so unless my mom let me play with guns in utero, I am absolved as a suspect!

Oh, You mentioned the name? Oswald is completely innocent, a patsy, remember, rinse and repeat. Twirling

Yeah, I was a baby. But, I could have pulled a trigger. TeddyR
Doggett

« Reply #1087 on: May 02, 2012, 06:59:18 AM »

I just bought Under the Dome in hardback. It was cheap so I had to buy it. I don't have a King addiction. I don't. I don't have to justify my book buying choices to you or anyone!

I can stop reading King anytime I want.

Anytime.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1088 on: May 04, 2012, 03:27:48 PM »

Ye-es!

Brandon T. Snider's "DC Comics: the Ultimate Character Guide" featuring the 201 most important individual characters and groups of characters from DC Comics.

The groups range from the villainous Crime Syndicate to the heroic Teen Titans. Some of whom also get their own individual entry.

While written for teens, it can be used by anyone as an introduction to the DC Comic characters.

Each entry consists of one page and includes a color illustration of the character, their powers, a brief bio-history, their real name, their heighth-weight, their occupation, a list of friends-foes, and their base of operations.

Now I like to see one for the next 201 most important characters from DC Comics and one for the characters from Marvel Comics.

And Alan Villiers' "Posted Missing: the Story of Ships Lost without Trace in Recent Years," as it was first published in 1956, recent years are 1909 to 1956, with a preface taking the book up to 1973.

The title is something of a misnomer, as they have found wreckage and even the occasional body from some of the wrecks. Experts just want to know what caused the ships to go missing. And here, even they can make an educated guess. If there were storm in the area, then the ship sank in a storm. If the ship was in an area of icebergs, then it most likely struck an iceberg and sank.

And editor Laura Manske's "Family Travel: the Farther You Go, the Closer You Get." A travel book containing essays on traveling with the family.

It is one of those situations, where you think the last two books have nothing in common, but . . . Awe. Respect. Children.

As many times as the writer has put to see, every time he puts to sea, he still is in awe of it. And the writers are in awe of the countries they visit.

The writer has respect for whoever sails upon the sea. No matter what their nationality is. And the writers have respect for the people who live in the countries that they visit.

A loss at sea is always a tragedy, but a loss of a child, whether as passenger or member of the crew ia always a greater tragedy. And the writers like the children they encounter on their travels.

And, perhaps, it is time to say, that the writer being British, I have yet to find a British writer who dislikes children. Well, maybe one or two, but they are mighty thin on the ground.

Next time: Henry A. Giroux's "The Mouse That Roared," or how to win, when the facts are not on your side.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1089 on: May 11, 2012, 03:41:05 PM »

Ye-es!

Henry A. Giroux's "The Mouse That Roared,"
or how to win, when the facts do not support your case, by using "bad thinking."

When I was in school, we were taught not only what was "good thinking," but what was "bad thinking," as well. And, probably, while I have used what I was taught, many times since then, never have I used it to the extent that I used it while reading this critique of the Walt Disney Company. While it is not meant to be, it comes across as a classic textbook of "bad thinking," as there are so many different samples of it in the book. For example . . .

01. Use outdated facts that no longer apply.
02. Use facts that are totally wrong.
03. Cherry pick your facts. Only use facts that support you. Ignore all facts that do not support you.
04. Make assumptions without providing proofs for said assumptions.
05. Tar your opponent at every opportunity.
06. Make statesments that are hyperbolic and/or hypocritical.
07. Always show your subject in the worst possible light.
08. State that only your opinions are right. Anyone else that states an opinion is wrong.
09.Never use a neutral or positive word, when you can use a negative word.
10. State something, then later totally contradict yourself, as you believe your  audience has no memory of what you said earlier.
11. While showing no precognizance yourself, criticize your subject for not being precognizant.
12. Reduce what is complex to the simplistic.
13. And never associate your subject with anything positive or neutral, but always with something that is negative.

Next time: William H. Miller's "S.S. United States" and etc.
Vik
« Reply #1090 on: May 14, 2012, 10:36:33 AM »

'Film' by Ronald Bergan.

Rudimentary, but decent.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #1091 on: May 15, 2012, 03:57:46 PM »

I recently purchased the entire WAR OF THE WORLDS comic book run that appeared in AMAZING ADVENTURES during the 1970s.  I have only 4 issues remaining.  Overall, an enjoyable series with only 2 or 3 stories that were duds.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1092 on: May 15, 2012, 05:30:50 PM »

Reading two novels concurrently. I'm a little over halfway through reading The Hobbit to my daughter at bedtime. She's really enjoying it.

A little bit different from my first introduction to the story, watching the Rankin-Bass animated movie that creeped me out as a little kid. The story itself is not as disturbing as that late-70s animation made it.

For myself, I'm exploring novels I can find on the Kindle for 2.99 or less, and I've found a couple of decent ones so far. Right now, I'm reading Dome City Blues, by Jeff Edwards. Kind of a William Gibson, Philip K. Dick, film noir type of thing. Burned-out private eye in a cyberpunk future, solving a bizarre murder case for a beautiful woman. Standard stuff, but entertaining so far.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Doggett

« Reply #1093 on: May 16, 2012, 02:56:48 PM »

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #1094 on: May 16, 2012, 04:33:20 PM »

Wait a minute . . . we all know you can't read!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 151
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.