Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:51:18 PM
714216 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 151
Author Topic: Reading anything?  (Read 746126 times)
Pacman000
« Reply #1095 on: May 16, 2012, 05:48:30 PM »

Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card, a sequel to Ender's Game, also by Orson Scott Card.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1096 on: May 16, 2012, 10:25:08 PM »

Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card, a sequel to Ender's Game, also by Orson Scott Card.

I liked that one. Didn't much care for the books that followed, but Speaker wasn't a bad follow-up to Ender's Game. I thought it was pretty cool that the setting jumped forward a few thousand years, with Ender spending so much (greatly slowed) time traveling around at near-light speed. People curse history's greatest mass-murderer and revere the original Speaker for the Dead, while having no idea they're the same guy, he's still alive and he's standing right there.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1097 on: May 17, 2012, 03:55:27 PM »

A trilogy of 3 Xanth novels:

« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 03:57:55 PM by tracy » Logged

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1098 on: May 17, 2012, 04:55:36 PM »

I am about 3/4 done with MY THOUGHTS BE BLOODY, a history of the Booth brothers, Edwin and John Wilkes, and their talented, tragedy-ridden father, Junius Brutus Booth.  The author's thesis is that the lifelong rivalry between the two brothers is what drove Wilkes Booth to murder Abraham Lincoln, a shame that Edwin spent his life trying to atone for.  It is a wonderful read!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
JoeTheDestroyer
Random Text Crapper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1099 on: May 17, 2012, 06:57:43 PM »

Just finished Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins.  So I'll resume my other projects:

Go Rin no Sho by Miyamoto Musashi
Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
The Wind Through the Keyhole by Stephen King

Also planning on starting a few other books, particularly Defiant Light by Jason Venter.

Latest reader review:
Crossbow (Atari 2600)
Latest staff reviews:
BC Racers (32X)
Dying Light (PS4)
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #1100 on: May 22, 2012, 10:46:38 AM »

1984 and I'm loving every word of it.  Cheers

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1101 on: May 22, 2012, 12:33:08 PM »

Nearing the end of The Hobbit with Rowan, and trying to think of another book we'll enjoy just as much. I don't think she's quite ready for Lord of the Rings yet, and it would be a heck of a commitment to read LOTR in 15-minute bites at bedtime.

I'm thinking about introducing Ro to some of the easier books I enjoyed as a kid - Encyclopedia Brown, The Mad Scientists' Club and the like.

I've kind of stalled out reading Dome City Blues. Just not in the mood for it. Might also be that I've been trying to pick up a cyberpunk detective thriller right after reading The Hobbit, when my imagination is still in Middle Earth.

---------------------
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #1102 on: May 22, 2012, 12:35:55 PM »

I am about 3/4 done with MY THOUGHTS BE BLOODY, a history of the Booth brothers, Edwin and John Wilkes, and their talented, tragedy-ridden father, Junius Brutus Booth.  The author's thesis is that the lifelong rivalry between the two brothers is what drove Wilkes Booth to murder Abraham Lincoln, a shame that Edwin spent his life trying to atone for.  It is a wonderful read!
That reminds me of an episode of "Branded",with Chuck Connors,we were watching a short while back. The  brother of John Wilkes Booth was out to find and execute the man responsible for falling asleep so Lincoln could be shot. He blamed him for the death of Lincoln and also his brother. Interesting episode.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1103 on: May 22, 2012, 04:59:58 PM »

Ye-es!

William H. Miller's "S.S. United States: the Story of America's Greatest Ocean Liner"

In three parts.

pre- 1952
1952-1969 or from the S.S. United States' first trans-Atlantic voyage to its last.
1970-1991 or from its mothballing to the date the book was published.

The title might be slightly hyperbolic, but several superlatives stick to the ship.

(1) The largest and still the largest American ocean liner ever built in an American shipyard.
(2) For many years, the fastest ocean liner ever to cross the Atlantic. Winner of the much coveted Blue Riband.
(3) And then there were three. One of the last ocean liners to make regularly scheduled trips across the Atlantic. Only the S.S. France and the S.S. Queen Elizabeth lasted longer on the Atlantic crossing.

No idea what happened to the ship after 1991 or when the book was published. All kind of ideas were advanced, including making it into a seaside hotel, but none came to fruition.

And . . .

Dave Madden's "The Authentic Animal: Inside the Odd and Obsessive World of Taxidermy"

While the business of taxidermy may fly under the radar, it still is a big business. There are taxidermy classes, taxidermy competitions, taxidermy conventions. Though now what mostly gets the stuff is the family pet Spot and Puff.

I will also say, that while the book starts out as a straight history of taxidermy, and here we are talking about the subject of the book and not the author's sexual orientation, the books morphs into a discussion of the relationship between man and animal.

"Encyclopedia Brown" I can remember when the first book in that series came out, and that was over 50 years ago. AndyC, if your daughter likes mysteries and/or puzzles, that'd be a good series to read to her. And see if she can solve the mystery, before you read the solution to her.

Next time: a he said/she said.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1104 on: May 22, 2012, 05:03:39 PM »

Nearing the end of The Hobbit with Rowan, and trying to think of another book we'll enjoy just as much. I don't think she's quite ready for Lord of the Rings yet, and it would be a heck of a commitment to read LOTR in 15-minute bites at bedtime.

I'm thinking about introducing Ro to some of the easier books I enjoyed as a kid - Encyclopedia Brown, The Mad Scientists' Club and the like.

I've kind of stalled out reading Dome City Blues. Just not in the mood for it. Might also be that I've been trying to pick up a cyberpunk detective thriller right after reading The Hobbit, when my imagination is still in Middle Earth.

Not sure how old she is, but my girls LOVED "A Series of Unfortunate Events" by Lemony Snicket.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1105 on: May 22, 2012, 05:12:25 PM »

Not sure how old she is, but my girls LOVED "A Series of Unfortunate Events" by Lemony Snicket.

She's six, going on seven. I'm not familiar with A Series of Unfortunate Events, beyond the movie adaptation, and my memory's fuzzy on that. I assume the book is much better than a Jim Carrey movie.

---------------------
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #1106 on: May 22, 2012, 05:24:52 PM »

Andy, my almost 7 yo loves the dickens out of "The Magic Treehouse" books. He got 1-28 as a set for Christmas and blew through them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1107 on: May 22, 2012, 05:34:59 PM »

There are 13 books in the series, and they are delightfully fun to read.  My girls enjoyed them starting about age 9.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #1108 on: May 23, 2012, 08:33:08 PM »

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith.

Pretty delightful reading.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1109 on: May 23, 2012, 10:09:54 PM »

Andy, my almost 7 yo loves the dickens out of "The Magic Treehouse" books. He got 1-28 as a set for Christmas and blew through them.

Ro has brought some of those home from the library. I didn't realize that there were so many of them, or that they covered so many settings and situations. And they're at a level she can read for herself. I might have to look at that 28-book set for her birthday or Christmas.

I'm still pondering what I can get in the way of a novel I can read to her over a couple of weeks. The Hobbit worked out amazingly well. My wife has been reading Ro some Laura Ingalls Wilder - Little House in the Big Woods, Farmer Boy, etc. - which is her thing. I'd like to find some novels or novellas in fantasy, adventure, science fiction or mystery that are at about that same level. Enjoyable for a first-grader, but a little more advanced than what she can handle reading on her own.

---------------------
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 151
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.