Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:19:42 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 151
Author Topic: Reading anything?  (Read 742727 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1230 on: February 21, 2013, 07:11:13 PM »

I bought the Poseiden however you spell it Adventure to read at the tire store. its pretty good.
Bushma
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1231 on: February 21, 2013, 07:58:16 PM »

I just finished "Warm Bodies". I saw the trailer want was interested in the movie then I learned there was a book. The book was kind of dull, the trailer seems like the movie will be more interesting.

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1232 on: February 22, 2013, 10:38:51 AM »

Almost finished with Carrie by Stephen King (first time reading it).

Before that I blazed through this:

I highly recommend Bizarro Fiction to everyone on this site (shameless plugging: activated). Seriously, for everyone of us who love bad/b/z/cult/strange/horror/sci-fi movies, there is a literary equivalent.

http://bizarrocentral.com/
Check it out! Please! There are pickled meats! And squid jerky!

The book I was reading before, Steve Aylett's "Lint," is considered Bizarro. Although "Lint" was more of a literary outing than a typical Bizarro story.

Now I'm reading

"150 Movies You Should Die Before You See." I bought it based on the title, but it's very disappointing. Anyone on this site could do as good or better of a job. Some of his choices for "bad" movies are indefensible (he considers THE BLACK CAT with Karloff and Lugosi one of the worst movies of all time?? Seriously??)

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #1233 on: February 22, 2013, 12:07:27 PM »

I have 50 pages to go in Bastards & Boneheads: Canada's Glorious Leaders Past and Present.  It is sort of a 'crash course' in Canadian history and culture and contrary to what all Canadian school kids come to believe it is very VERY funny!  The author - Will Ferguson - has a way with words and an appreciation for the extreme ironies that make reading about our country's past hysterical.  And all the while remaining oh-so-very Canadian.  It is not necessary to agree with the author in order to appreciate the points he makes. Thumbup  His chapter on the '90's is a classic!  It's a quick read and packed with entertainment (again, despite the subject matter!)  I recommend it to anyone with an interest in our history and/or in understanding Canadian perspectives.  
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 12:13:56 PM by Newt » Logged

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

« Reply #1234 on: February 22, 2013, 12:11:41 PM »

"150 Movies You Should Die Before You See." I bought it based on the title, but it's very disappointing.

With that title and cover, I would have bought it too.  Still might, if I come across it in a bin somewhere.

"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
spongekryst
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1235 on: February 23, 2013, 11:22:30 PM »

Almost finished with Carrie by Stephen King (first time reading it).

Before that I blazed through this:

I highly recommend Bizarro Fiction to everyone on this site (shameless plugging: activated). Seriously, for everyone of us who love bad/b/z/cult/strange/horror/sci-fi movies, there is a literary equivalent.

http://bizarrocentral.com/
Check it out! Please! There are pickled meats! And squid jerky!

The book I was reading before, Steve Aylett's "Lint," is considered Bizarro. Although "Lint" was more of a literary outing than a typical Bizarro story.

Now I'm reading

"150 Movies You Should Die Before You See." I bought it based on the title, but it's very disappointing. Anyone on this site could do as good or better of a job. Some of his choices for "bad" movies are indefensible (he considers THE BLACK CAT with Karloff and Lugosi one of the worst movies of all time?? Seriously??)

Really? Did he ever see the Fulci one?

That's pretty cool that someone on the site has at least heard of Bizarro. I really dig Jordan Krall's books. You should give him a read sometime, especially Penetralia, which reads exactly like a lost Andy Milligan script.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 11:24:31 PM by Assisted Living Dracula » Logged
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1236 on: February 25, 2013, 04:25:16 PM »

Ye-es!

Charles Finch's
"A Burial at Sea"
4th in the Charlies Lennox series.

Who is killing the officers of a British warship in the middle of the Med during the last half of the 19th century.

One would like to see the author do a straight spy novel, but this is neither fish nor fowl. It starts off as a spy novel, then morphs into a murder mystery, and then morphs back into a spy novel at the end.

There is at least one more book in the series. Charlie is back on land and trying to solve a murder mystery set in a small English village.

Peter Tremayne's
"The Chalice of Blood: a Mystery of Ancient Ireland"
21st in the Fidelma of Cashel series.

After the last two books being set in France, Fidelma is back in Ireland and trying to solve a locked room mystery set in an Irish monastery.

What I find interesting is how advanced they were in the treatment of the insane. I don't know what happened, but it'd be another 1100 years, before the treatment of the insane were so advanced.

Cassandra Clark's
"Parliament of Spies: a Mystery"
4th in the Abbess Hildegard

I've read the first in the series, but then missed the next two.

On the way down to London to attend the opening of Parliament, who killed one of the fellow travelers, and is now seemingly trying to eliminate all the witnesses to the first murder.

A time of threats both internal and external and divides. Externally, France is threatening to invade. Internally, the friends and foes of Richard II are jockeying for position. And the Catholic church is divided between the adherents of the Pope in Rome and the Pope in Avignon. Just don't think you'll get an unbiased account, as the authoress is a supporter of Richard II.

Anne Perry's
"An Acceptable Loss"
17th in the Monk series. Monk. ex-London policeman. ex-Amnesiac. He has regained his memory. ex-private enquiry agent. Now member of the river police, which is separate from the London police, and is responsible for solving crimes on the river and/or next to the river. And her second series.

Like a previous book in the Thomas and Charlotte Pitt series, which I have read, a pedophile ring operating on the river has to be taken down. And this time the heroes are determined to also take down the man who has been funding these rings.

Elly Griffiths'
"The House at Sea's end: a Ruth Galloway Mystery.
4th in the series

Ruth Galloway is a forensic archaeologist, or someone who is called upon by the police to gather evidence at a crime scene, where someone or someones have been buried.

Here she has to gather evidence for a crime that was committed during World War 2, and which may be the cause of why so many people associated with the crime are apparently being murdered today.

Again, what I found interesting, is that one cannot only tell the age and sex of someone from their skeletal remains, but also where they are from.

Peter Helton's
"Four Below: an Inspector McLusky novel"
2nd book in the series and the author's 5th book overall

A modern day police procedure. The interest is in the author, who is not a native Brit, but an ex-pat German, who came to the U.K. and stayed. So his take on the subject is a little bit different.

Next time: Even the nicknames are now forgotten.
ChaosTheory

« Reply #1237 on: February 25, 2013, 04:31:49 PM »

Just finished Clive Barker's "The Damnation Game" - like all things Barker it's vivid and unsettling, but more accessible than some of his other stuff.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1238 on: February 25, 2013, 05:15:36 PM »

"150 Movies You Should Die Before You See." I bought it based on the title, but it's very disappointing.

With that title and cover, I would have bought it too.  Still might, if I come across it in a bin somewhere.

Agree.

I don't know where they get these people, who think they know what bad movies are, as I have seen better bad movie lists on this board, then the ones listed in the book.

I have seen 18 of the movies listed in the book. Liking 9 and disliking 9. Which says something about the book, but more than that, as REV. Powell as pointed out "The Black Cat" should be nowhere near a bad movies list.  And I'd add the somewhat sequel to that "The Raven." That doesn't belong. And also "Cemetery Man," "Creature from the Black Lagoon," and "The Mask of Fun Manchu..

And while "Moonraker" may be far from the best Bond film ever made, it is certainly not the worst. Nor is "Gothic" the worst film that Ken Russell has ever made. Making several films that are considered worst.

Good title. Bad contents.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #1239 on: February 25, 2013, 05:36:13 PM »

I'd read that but from the cover I suspect I'd end up throwing it against the wall or something given I actually love many of the movies already on the cover...

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

« Reply #1240 on: March 05, 2013, 07:06:46 AM »

I joined the local 'Friends of the Library' group.  I was helping sort donated books yesterday for our upcoming book sale.  I was told to throw out any non-fiction book published before 2000...so I ended up rescuing a number of books from the recycling bin, this one included:

The other volunteers were chuckling at me, but I could not help but think of all the older OOP books I have been scouring the sales for - for years - that they might have stripped of their covers and thrown in the trash.  Thumbdown Thumbdown Thumbdown Bluesad Bluesad Bluesad  My stomach still has not settled.  At least I have saved a few - and will have opportunity to save more.  Thumbup
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 08:12:11 AM by Newt » Logged

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1241 on: March 05, 2013, 01:56:24 PM »

Ye-es!

Harold Schechter's
Psycho USA : Famous American Killers You Never Heard Of
14 previous works of non-fiction and 5 previous works of fiction, which seem to have some connection to Poe.

179 years of murders, murderers, and murderesses, or, over 2 dozen of the worst of the worst. Including . . .

the poison fiend -- the pittsburgh poisoner -- the witch of staten island -- the family annihilator -- the veiled murderess -- the cherry hill murderer -- the black-eyed borgia -- the inhuman butcher -- the monster in shape of a man -- the "tell tale heart" killer -- the man of two lives -- the waterville poisoner -- the virago of vermont -- the smutty nose butcher -- the fox -- the northwood murderer -- the siren of the swamps -- the french monster -- the bluebeard of quiet dell -- the pocasset horror -- the cape cod vampire -- the mad sculptor -- the worst man who ever lived -- the brownout strangler -- and the world's worst demon.

They had nicknames then.

Also . . .

Julie Flynn Siler's
Lost Kingdom : Hawaii's Last Queen , the Sugar Kings, and America's First Imperial Adventure

Problem with this is is it's a bit one sided. You get an understanding of one side, but not the other. Even though both sides were willing to use violence to get what they wanted. And both sides were willing to overturn the will of the majority of the islanders to get what they wanted.

One thing brought out, is that like the North American continent, whites got their toehold on the islands, the continent, but introducing their diseases to the natives. Diseases which the natives had no natural immunity. Thus, creating a vacuum exploited by the whites.

And . . .

Denise Mina's
The End of the Wasp Season
1 previous trilogy plus 5 or 6 more fiction.

If you like Ian Rankin's Rebus, then . . . the homophobes, the racists, the sexists. The hatred of one's superiors. The close connection between the law and the lawlesss. She also has the teenage male nailed down, but this still may not be a good start to her writings. As she herself admitted, it was a mess, and required alot of work by others to get it into shape to be published.

Next time: one of those stories that once made the headlines around the world, but is now mostly forgotten.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #1242 on: March 05, 2013, 04:48:00 PM »

I'm about halfway thru "Superman Vs. Hollywood: How Fiendish Producers, Devious Directors, and Warring Writers Grounded an American Icon" by Jake Rossen - a very interesting book on how badly the Superman character has been mishandled (barring a few exceptions, like the Fleischer Bros. animated shorts of the 40s and the first two feature films w/Christopher Reeve) by show-business over the years.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #1243 on: March 06, 2013, 12:38:31 AM »

The Carrie Diaries.
(I lost a bet...)

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #1244 on: March 07, 2013, 02:23:15 AM »

Finally sat down and finished this Wally Hickel book called "Who Owns America?"

My Mom gave it to me, and unless you are really super-interested in Alaskan history, I recommend you give it a go.

It's a typical politico book. "I was right, they were wrong, here's my newsletter."

There were a couple of amusing points. One, Hickel was fired from the Nixon administration in 1971, a few years before the Spiro Agnew and Nixon resignations. The book was written before that particular imbroglio. Two, current politicos are there in nascent form. Donald Rumsfeld and George Romney show up.

Pretty crappy book, but I'm an Alaskan with a keen interest in history. I may be the only person to have actually read this book in the last fifty years.

Ah well, at least it was better than George Fitzhugh's "Cannibals All."

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 151
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.