Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:15:21 AM
713386 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 151
Author Topic: Reading anything?  (Read 742979 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #1380 on: January 27, 2014, 11:58:02 AM »

The Year's Best Science Fiction:  Thirtieth Annual Collection

« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 12:06:26 PM by Andrew » Logged

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Josso
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1381 on: January 27, 2014, 02:14:19 PM »

1984 is one of those novels that seems to get more relevant as time goes on.

Josso
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1382 on: January 27, 2014, 02:15:08 PM »

Also reading Hyperion cantos, on another note attempting re-read of Naked Lunch soon - see if I can decipher the madness within

frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #1383 on: January 28, 2014, 04:34:38 AM »

Been re-reading the Agent Pendergast series by Preston and Child. 
Finished DANCE OF DEATH and nearly done now with THE BOOK OF THE DEAD.
These guys have created a very memorable main character and woven a seamless series
of adventures featuring him. A great series, even if the movie adaptation of RELIC was awful.

I did not really get behind the two triologies (brother whatshisname and Helen). I greatly enjoyed relic, probably followed by still life with crows. I was actually on the verge of letting this series go, but got the new book (White fire) as a gift. I liked it - it toned down a bit on the story (improvement to me) and takes a shot at a new Sherlock story by Arthur Conan Doyle. On the downside some twists are rather predictble and the story is mainly driven by someone making exceptionally dumb decisions.

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
Raffine

« Reply #1384 on: January 28, 2014, 10:00:59 AM »

I just finished Stephen King's latest doorstop novel Doctor Sleep. It's a fun sequel of sorts to The Shining, and follows the adventures of the now middle-aged alchoholic Danny Torrance and his battle with a gang of harmless looking senior citizens who travel the US in RVs and campers eating kids that shine.

I just got a couple of books by the (in)famous crypto writer Ivan T. Sanderson. So far they read a lot like the works of John Keel (The Mothman Prophecies and Mysterious Beings) but without Keel's sly tongue-in-cheek humor.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 10:03:09 AM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #1385 on: January 28, 2014, 10:17:19 AM »

Nothin' To Lose: The Making of KISS, 1972-1975, by Ken Sharp (with Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley) - an extremely cool, in depth book about the band's formative years. In addition to having access to the KISS archives via Simmons and Stanley, Sharp digs up interviews with a lot of people who were pivotal in getting KISS off the ground back then, but haven't been heard from much since, and they've got a lot of entertaining stories. The photos are great too, particularly the shots of them playing early gigs in tiny clubs in New York's outer boroughs, wearing t-shirts and jeans and half-assed early versions of their soon-to-be-famous make up on their faces.
This book is a treasure trove of trivia for the KISS fanboy (i.e. me)!

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« Reply #1386 on: January 28, 2014, 11:26:59 AM »

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1387 on: January 28, 2014, 05:15:36 PM »

Ye-es!

Since there is so much s@@@ out there I can't stand to read, if I can read something all the way through, that's a recommendation, even if I can't remember anything else about it.

Charles Todd's
Proof of Guilt
15th in the Ian Rutledge Series.
1 more series + 2 more fiction

A mother-son writing team, even if the name doesn't indicate it so.

Kieran Shields'
A Study in Revenge
2nd in the series

When a family heirloom, a rock with cryptic symbols carved into it is stolen, and then the thief is killed, the question becomes why was the rock stolen and for whom.

The series is becoming more like an American version of Sherlock Holmes, especially now that the series has picked up a villain similiar to Professor Moriarty. Which does not make for a bad series.

Oliver Harris'
The Hollow Man
1st novel

Hal Foster's
Prince Valiant
v.6. from 1947 and 1948 in the Sunday comic series

Valiant has been to Africa, Asia, and through most of Europe, now he comes to North America, specifically Canada.

Craig Ungar's
Boss Rove : Inside Karl Rove's Secret Kingdom of Power
2 more nonfiction

Probably the biggest a###### unhanged. Though, you probably can't hang someone for just being an a######. Though, the book points out Rove is lucky he is not cooling his heels in jail. Still, a remarkablely balanced book, as the writer talked to both Rove's friends and foes (not all of whom are Democrats.) And while he could not get an interview with Rove, he does include a number of excerpts from Rove's writings.

Elly Griffith's
A Dying Fall
5th in the Ruth Galloway series

While our heroine investigates a gravesite that may or may not contain the bones of King Arthur, her ex-lover and the father of her newborn daughter investigates a death by fire, which turns out to be arson and murder.

Throw in campus politics, modern day Druids, and racist skinheads, and you have a more than passable mystery in an intriguing series.

Next time: the more you think about it. The better it becomes.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1388 on: February 04, 2014, 01:56:54 PM »

Ye-es!

Marty Sklar's
Dream it! Do It! :
My Half Century Creating Disney's Magic Kingdom

Actually 53 years, as the author worked for the Walt Disney Company from 1955 to 2008. And he does not have the longest tenure at Walt Disney. One man worked for the company for 64 years. That's longer than I've been alive.

We'll take up the problems first.
(1) Like such books it is one-sided, presenting only his side of the story. Not that he isn't saying something that everybody else has said, but you'd like to hear the other side of the story.

(2) It is not the "ultimate" story about the Walt Disney Company, while he had alot to do with it, there are parts of the company, such as films, TV, etc., he had nothing to do with.

(3)There are mistakes. He credits the multi-plane camera, which allowed cels to be photographed on top of each other, and thus gave greater depth to animation,  to Walt Disney, when the credit should go to Walt Disney employee Ub Iwerks, who invented the camera. Ub's son continues to work for the company in Imagineering.

(4) His writing is uneven, which is odd, as he was first hired as a writer for the company and worked as a writer before he joined the company.

(5) He slightly contradicts himself here and there.

(6) There is no index.

Still, the pluses outnumber the minuses.

(1) He has a good eye and ear for a funny story. A LOL! story about every 12 pages.

(2) He is honest enough to list the company's failures as well as its successes.

(3) But the best part of the book is the photographs included. It puts faces to the names you know, but for whom you haven't seen photos.

(3a.) There are also photos of his family. And the interesting thing that I find about this, is while his father looks more Jewish than he does, while his son looks less Jewish than he does, and his grandson looks even less Jewish than father and grandfather.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Next time: Again another 6 of 1 and a half dozen of the other.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #1389 on: February 04, 2014, 05:13:24 PM »

My Life As a Ten Year Old Boy by Nancy Cartwright (voice of Bart Simpson) - the renowned voice artist's autobiography provides fanboys with a decent behind-the-scenes look at the making of their beloved animated sitcom, but overall this book is not nearly as entertaining as I'd expected it to be. Without the Simpsons writers feeding her dialogue, Nancy seems like a nice, but rather dull, gal.

Oh well. The main reason I even borrowed it from the library was to show it to my two sons, who refused to believe me when I told them that Bart Simpson's voice was done by a woman :D

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
dean

« Reply #1390 on: February 05, 2014, 01:55:37 AM »

Cryptonomicon by Neale Stephenson

Very dense book.  I feel like I've been reading it forever and I'm only about 60% through.  Pretty good so far though.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #1391 on: February 12, 2014, 04:34:04 PM »

Press Here by Herve Tullet, one of the most delightful young children's books ever written. The book begins with a single yellow dot, and when you push it and turn the page, voila, the dot multiples to three dots! Can you believe that??? You push the dot on the end and and, wow, on the next page one of the dots turns red! Oh, the magic just goes on and on until the most amazing thing happens on the last page.

I won't spoil that cliffhanger for you though....

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Bushma

« Reply #1392 on: February 13, 2014, 04:03:54 PM »

I just finished "The Spartacus War" after watching the Spartacus series from Starz.

I'm starting on

and listening to...

during my commute

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1393 on: February 13, 2014, 07:47:55 PM »

I would like to read a good scholarly work on Spartacus - the STARZ series was historically inaccurate to the point of ridiculousness! LOL

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1394 on: February 15, 2014, 06:12:04 PM »

Ye-es!

2nd verse. Same as the 1st. If I list it, it is a recommendation. Though sometimes I can remember no more than the author and the title.

Peter Robinson's
Watching the Dark
23rd in the Inspector Banks series

When a policeman is shot and killed by a crossbow at a health retreat for the police, it is discovered the man may have been a corrupt copper. And what does his death have to do with the disappearance of an young Englishwoman in Estonia a number of years before.

Readable, but I do prefer Robinson's stand alone novels to his series novels.

John Thaws'
The Vatican Diaries :
a Behind the Scenes Look at the Power, Personalities and Politics at the Heart of the Catholic Church
1st non-fiction

Not a history of the Papacy nor a history of the Papacy during the 3 decades the writer worked as a newspaper reporter at the Vatican, but it does shine a public spotlight on much that is closed off to the public.

Denise Mira's
Gods and Beasts
2nd in the DS Alex Morrow series
8 more fiction

Don Summer's
Horror Movie Freak

The title says it all. What the title does not say that a dvd copy of the original "Night of the Living Dead" is packaged with each copy of the book.

Chris Mitchell's
Cast Member Confidential :
a Disneyfied Memoir
1st nonfiction

Part confessional memoir. Part job description of what it is like to work as a cast member at Walt Disney World. Though on the principle of "Fool me once. Shame on you. Fool me twice. Shame on me." You can see the writer making the same mistakes in his personal relationships time and time again. Though even the biggest cynic in the world can lose some of their cynicism in what is reported to be "The Happiest Place in the World."

One of the more interesting aspects of the book is his roommate's attempt to fulfill an unfulfilled niche, that of a gay boy band promoted as a gay boy band. I thought it hadn't happened, but, and it may be the same band, there is a gay boy band out there that promotes itself as a gay boy band.

Sue Hallgarth's
On the Rocks :
a Willa Cather and Edith Lewis mystery
1st fiction book and 1st in the series

When Cather and her female partner are vacationing at an artists' retreat on an island off the coast of Canada, they see a man fall off a cliff, to his death, on the rocks below. Was it an accident? Murder? or Suicide?

Next time: it all began with radio.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 151
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.