Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:17:07 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 151
Author Topic: Reading anything?  (Read 742853 times)
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1440 on: July 28, 2014, 04:32:04 PM »

Ye-es!

Geoff Tibball's
Unbelievably zany :
Ripley's Believe It or Not

All the latest of the weird and the bizarre.

Andrew Shaffer's
Literary rogues :
a scandalous history of wayward authors

The highlights and low lights of 37 authors over 273 years.

Stephen V. Ash's
A massacre in Memphis :
the race riot that shook the nation one year after the civil war

The first, but, unfortunately, not the last, as the reasons as to the why would be much the same for other race riots, including . . .

contradictory beliefs -- hatreds old and new -- ignorance -- lack of cooperation -- paternalism -- political differences -- prejudices -- racism -- sense of superiority -- simplistic ideas, but complex reactions -- and uncompromising attitudes.

Showker and Sehlinger's
The unofficial guide to cruises

One in the unofficial guide series.

Wiley and Jenkins'
Walt Disney World with kids
24th ed.

The writer has been doing this since 1989, when she was pregnant with her daughter. Now her daughter is a grown woman with kids of her own, who has worked for the Mouse, and now is the co-writer with her mother of the series. No doubt, with some idea of taking over the series from her mother some day.

Tina Rinaldi's
What the brochures don't tell you about cruise vacations.

The title says it all. What it does not say is how poorly made and illogical are the writer's arguments. There is a need for a book like this, but this is not it.

Andrew Lane's
Fire storm
4th in the Sherlock Holmes : the legend begins series

The deaths and near deaths continue, with death and near death being dealt out by . . .

crossbow -- dead rabbit -- grizzly -- landslide -- sword cane -- and tanning vat.

Still, not quite up to the previous titles in the series, as this is really 2 stories in 1, and those never seem to be merged properly.

Next time: he was shanghaied on an ocean freighter.
he was shanghaied eating beans and taters.
he was shanghaied on the "Gloria Scott."

I don't know about the 1st 2 lines, but if you recognize the name in the 3rd line, you know your Sherlock. Looking forward to it, and seeing whether we finally get a glimpse of the giant rat of Sumatra.

Next time: just 1 review. A longer 1 than average.

jimpickens
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1441 on: July 29, 2014, 02:27:33 AM »

The Ultimate Survival Manual by Rich Johnson and the editors of Outdoor Life very useful.

I like those survival manuals for their good advice.

Does this one tell you how to prevent attacks from aliens from outer space?

The one I saw said the 3 things to do to prevent an attack from aliens from outer space is to . . .

(1) Do not make any loud noises!
(2) Do not make any fast moves!
(3) And do not look hostile!
Nope but it does show you how to escape from kidnappers and how to turn your homestead into a compound.
Right now I'm reading Wolf Creek Origin if you think the movies are creepy the books at least this one make them look tame by comparison.
Neville

« Reply #1442 on: July 29, 2014, 04:41:25 AM »

I just got a ton of Mike Hammer novels from Amazon. They are collected in three volumes, each with 2-3 novels. I already read "I, the jury", so I'll skip that one.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1443 on: July 29, 2014, 04:46:27 AM »

Stephen King: The Haunted Heart by Lisa Rojak. Very good thus far.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1444 on: July 29, 2014, 09:37:31 AM »

I just finished ANTHONY AND CLEOPATRA by Adrian Goldsworthy, a dual biography of history's most famous star-crossed lovers.
A pretty good read, even if it is rather disappointing that we know much less about the two than most novelists seem to think.
Anthony's great mistake, IMO, is that he thought he was Julius Caesar's equal as a general and as a politician - and he was neither.
Cleopatra simply fell in love with a man who ultimately could not protect her.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #1445 on: August 04, 2014, 09:17:53 PM »

Just finished The 13th Hour  by Richard Doetsch (2009).  A thriller involving time travel.  Doetsch is known for his thrillers and apparently this is his only foray into SF. (It is time travel: technically it is SF, even if it is the only facet of SF in the novel) Read it in one day as every time I put it down I picked it right back up.  I was pleasantly surprised: it is convoluted and complex yet fast-paced.  Fairly clever and enough out-of-the-ordinary that I would not hesitate to recommend it.

Also recently read Return From the River Kwai  by Joan and Clay Blair, Jr. (1979).  About what happens to the POW’s on the final leg(s) of the journey home.  Reads like an additional chapter or two to the story rather than a book in its own right.  Of interest mainly for filling in the details of the end of the story and setting a few things straight.

Just finishing up the final chapter of Monty and Rommel: Parallel Lives  by Peter Caddick-Adams (2011) As the author states, it is more a study of the personalities of each man than it is simply another history of the war.  It deals with specific battles and such only as context for revealing character and motivations.  The parallels in their lives are interesting.  Once in a while the author’s bias seems to show, mainly in comments he makes, but he does manage to be fairly even-handed and both men are portrayed as human beings, warts and all.

Just starting Crazy Good: The True Story of Dan Patch, the Most Famous Horse in America  by Charles Leerhsen (2008).  If the name “The Great Dan Patch” means nothing to you, the book might still be of interest if you are into that period of American history, as it deals with the social and economic/business contexts – and some colourful personalities – of the very early 20th century, centered on the life and career of one of the first great (some still hold him to be the greatest) Standardbred race horses.

Also picked The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo  by Stieg Larsson out the pile. Figured it was time.  I’m only 45 pages in, but finding it hard to stick with.  It reads okay: just has not managed to engage me yet.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1446 on: August 04, 2014, 10:44:56 PM »

His books take awhile to connect with but they are worth the time it takes to read them.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1447 on: August 10, 2014, 01:39:17 PM »

Ye-es!

Alissa Nutting's
Tampa

The story of a female teacher and her the sexual relationship she has with a couple of her under aged male students.

Comedic, but not as comedic as it should be.
Erotic, but not as erotic, as it could be.
Gut wrenching, but not as gut wrenching, as it would be.
Realistic, but not as realistic, as it should, could, would be.

There are 2 things that keep it from being the big steaming pile of mediocrity that it is.

1 is the courage of the writer. Certainly, she must have been aware of the hate she would get, when she wrote the story.

2 is the uniqueness of the story. If Brett Ellis' "American Psycho" is the story of the male psychopath, then this is the 1st or one of the 1st stories of the female psychopath.

Actually, 3, as it is also a warning to . . .

Parents to protect your sons from those who would sexually prey on them. We protect our daughters, but too often we think our sons are invulnerable, which makes them vulnerable to . . .

abusive behavior
alcohol abuse
criminal behavior
--including prostitution
death
drug abuse
emotional issues
health issues
mental issues
pregnancy
sexual problems
--from frigidity to promiscuity.

The results of which are compounded by manifesting themselves only years later.

And further compounded by sometimes having no effect at all. If . . .

(1) an one time affair.
(2) violence does not occur.

Violence: what should be obvious but is not often. And sometimes a surprise to researchers. Everything from pinching and slapping to what could only be called sado-masochistic torture.

Tampa. Not Tampa. I have read books so detailed that they could only happen in Tampa, but while the title is "Tampa," this really could have happened anywhere.

She said. It needs a he said/she said. She said, then turn it over, turn it upside down, and he said his side of the story.

I have read writers who can speak in many voices: young/old, male/female, all sexual orientations, all races, but she seems to be incapable of speaking in more than 1 voice.

Actually, 3. She seems to have a surprising lack of empathy for the young victims in the story.

As to the why . . .?

Like so many, she seems to be an adult who never totally grew up. She is still socially and emotionally immature.

Still . . .?! I'd like to see a film version of the story, if only to see how they do it, but I am unlikely ever to see it, for if "American Psycho" was controversial with its adults doing adult things to other adults. This would be even more controversial with its adults doing adult things to children.

Next time: 6 of 1 and a half dozen fiction + 1 non-fiction
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1448 on: August 10, 2014, 02:39:36 PM »

Just started

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #1449 on: August 15, 2014, 10:11:57 AM »

The last reading that I did was online, here at work, as there is very little else to do, "The Drums of the Fore And Aft" and "Toomai of the Elephants" by Rudyard Kipling, both are easy to read and enjoyable. The first is a fairly realistic portrayal of a soldier's life in the British army in India during the reign of Queen Victoria, the second is a story of a boy and his father's elephant.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
JoeTheDestroyer
Random Text Crapper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1450 on: August 16, 2014, 04:50:34 AM »

A text book for Central Service (hospital stuff). Most of the material contained within can be learned on the job.

Latest reader review:
Crossbow (Atari 2600)
Latest staff reviews:
BC Racers (32X)
Dying Light (PS4)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1451 on: August 16, 2014, 08:48:03 AM »

A text book for Central Service (hospital stuff). Most of the material contained within can be learned on the job.

Central Services?

Small | Large

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1452 on: August 18, 2014, 02:19:45 PM »

Ye-es!

Craig Johnson's
"Spirit of Steamboat"
in the Walt Longmire series

When a girl is critically injured in an automobile accident, and the roads are being closed due to a blizzard, there is only 1 pilot and 1 plane, that can get her to the medical help she needs to survive.

Johnson's skill is taking what can be dull and making it more or less exciting. And if you'd rather see it, then read it, the book series has been made into a TV series.

Ruth Rendell's
No Man's Nightingale
24th in the Inspector Wexford series

Margaret Coel's
Killing Custer
17th in the Wind River series

When the re-enactor who plays Custer in the Battle of the Little Big Horn is killed. Once more, as before, the blame falls upon the Native Americans that were there. And it is up to our heroes to prove that Custer's killer may have been someone else this time.

Vidar Sundstol's
The Land of Dreams
1st in the Minnesota trilogy

When a Norwegian canoeist is found beaten to death in an area that is suppose to be off-limits, the case is serious enough, that a Norwegian police detective comes over to help his American colleagues solve the case.

Americans are fearless. They will write about any time and any place. Not so foreigners. This is only the 3rd time that I have found a foreigner writer writing about a case that happens in America. We will get to the other 2 later. Of course, the writer has the advantage of writing about an area in which he has lived and worked. And, of course, since the book was originally published in Norwegian I presume that the Norwegians were most interested in the Norwegian-Americans in the story and the parts that took place in America, while, I, as an American, found the parts set in Norway and the Norwegian characters the most interesting.

Tim O'Mara's
Crooked Numbers
2nd in the Raymond Donne series

When a promising black student from the school, where our hero works, is found dead with drugs on him, our hero sets out to prove this is something more than another black drug dealer killed in a drug deal gone wrong.

Laura Joh Rowland's
The Shogun's Daughter
17th in the Ichiro Sano series

When the Shogun's only female heir dies of natural causes, then his only male heir dies in an accidental fire, it looks more and more like the deaths were neither natural nor accidental. And an old enemy is back to threaten not only our hero, but the hero's entire family.

+ 1 non-fiction

Bendo and Chernack's
Awkward Family Holiday Photos
3rd in the series from the popular web site.
With at least 1 more promised forthcoming.

Next time: Continuing with 6 of 1 and a half dozen fiction + 1 non-fiction
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1453 on: August 19, 2014, 08:31:54 PM »

written by the old guy from those History channel Bible shows. Basically, most of the New Testament is made up to either confirm biblical prophecy, give authority to the apostles, or illustrate a point and there was no ressurection. He is one of the greatest living experts on the historical Jesus and a former monk.

Its pretty mind blowing stuff.

I think often of Jesus' original followers who did not have any book of his life to read or crucifix necklaces. They didn't see him rise from the dead because he hadn't died yet. They were just taken with what they observed him say and do, something we only read basic summaries of in the bible. He talked for hours to Pontius Pilate alone about what who knows.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #1454 on: August 19, 2014, 10:51:11 PM »

written by the old guy from those History channel Bible shows. Basically, most of the New Testament is made up to either confirm biblical prophecy, give authority to the apostles, or illustrate a point and there was no ressurection. He is one of the greatest living experts on the historical Jesus and a former monk.

Its pretty mind blowing stuff.

I think often of Jesus' original followers who did not have any book of his life to read or crucifix necklaces. They didn't see him rise from the dead because he hadn't died yet. They were just taken with what they observed him say and do, something we only read basic summaries of in the bible. He talked for hours to Pontius Pilate alone about what who knows.

By any chance, lester, did the author discuss his own childhood? I find antitheists often have had sad childhoods.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 151
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.