Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:47:21 PM
714241 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 151
Author Topic: Reading anything?  (Read 746511 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1515 on: January 08, 2015, 12:28:59 PM »

Downloaded a public domain translation of the Hindu epic "the Mahabharata." Since this is the longest poem ever written---3 times the length of the Old and New Testament together---I am not planning on finishing it anytime soon. I'll read a little here, a little there.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1516 on: January 08, 2015, 01:22:26 PM »

along similar lines: listen to the so called Super Gospel. it's a compilation of a lot of the New Testament Apocrypha. Some of it is revealing some of it, such as the gospel of Nicodemus is from way later and is pretty useless. 16 hours long
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1517 on: January 08, 2015, 01:45:23 PM »

along similar lines: listen to the so called Super Gospel. it's a compilation of a lot of the New Testament Apocrypha. Some of it is revealing some of it, such as the gospel of Nicodemus is from way later and is pretty useless. 16 hours long

I read a lot of the apocryphal gospels years ago. Gospel of Thomas was interesting, nothing at all like the "official" Gospels. I liked the ones where young Jesus used to kill his schoolmates for looking at him the wrong way. Queue Indy in 3, 2, 1...

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1518 on: January 08, 2015, 04:48:36 PM »

that's in the super gospel and is hilarious. He's like the twilight zone kid.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1519 on: January 08, 2015, 07:37:17 PM »

I believe that is from a Gnostic Gospel called I Infancy.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1520 on: January 08, 2015, 09:58:36 PM »

You could pretty much date them based on their quality. the more absurd and loopy they are the later they seem to be whereas Thomas and the Didache are very sober. pretty much so the ones written by Jewish Christians up to and including Revelation are the best, which is the bible and maybe a few other things.

Questions of Bartholemew was the one I was thinking of before. the one where Jesus goes down to hell and stuff a la Enoch
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1521 on: January 08, 2015, 10:36:26 PM »

The Didache, I and II Clement, and several of those others were actually highly regarded by the early
church, although they were not included in the NT because they were not directly associated with the
disciples.  There was a strong distinction drawn between the so-called "Apostolic Fathers," who were
widely read and respected in the early church, although not considered Scripture, and most of the Gnostic
works, which were generally condemned as heretical from the get-go.  And of course, there were some
that straddled the line between the two.  But you are right - some of the later Gnostic stuff is pretty goofy.
There is one called the "Cross Gospel" where a 200 foot high cross comes out of the tomb before Jesus
rose, and begins talking to the women outside the tomb.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1522 on: January 09, 2015, 01:32:07 AM »

I read the book Things That Matter by Dr Charles Krauthammer and enjoyed it up until page 237 where he started to talk BS about South Africa.

I closed the book and have never opened it again: I would like to throw it away but it cost too much.  TongueOut
So, send him a correction letter. I like his work, but who's perfect? Not me.

Dr K claims in that column (which he wrote in 1985) that white South Africans should be sentenced to isolation because of their acquiescence of apartheid. That is BS: apartheid was a true evil and not every white person in SA liked it or supported it, me least of all.

Saying that is like saying Germans should be isolated because of what occurred in their country under Hitler or Britons should be isolated because of the genocide in the concentration camps during the Anglo-Boer War.

Incidentally, I gave the book to my Mom. 

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1523 on: January 09, 2015, 01:33:22 AM »

I bought the book Killing Kennedy a few months back: very good.  Thumbup

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1524 on: January 09, 2015, 11:45:53 AM »

The neoconservatives are all hard core globalists and there aren't too many situations where they don't think "international pressure" should be applied, usually to the detriment of the already suffering citizens of so called rogue states.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1525 on: January 10, 2015, 10:33:21 PM »

I just finished WASHINGTON'S CROSSING, a very detailed account by David Hackett Fischer about the Battles of Trenton and Princeton and the events before and after them, during the American Revolution.  Thoroughly documented and very well written, this book explodes the myth of the "drunken Hessians" surprised after their Christmas celebrations and instead portrays a desperate gamble that paid off in a big way for George Washington - but also how his decision to attack was actually driven by the guerilla warfare the people of New Jersey had already launched against the Hessian occupiers.  This is one of the best books about the Revolutionary War I have ever read, and I highly recommend it.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1526 on: January 10, 2015, 11:11:15 PM »

Essays and stories about Elvis with one rule: Elvis must be dead. Contains essays by Roger Ebert and Lou Reed, stories by Clive Barker, Harlan Ellison and Joyce Carol Oates. The reason I got it is because it's where the "Bubba Ho-Tep" story was first published.

retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #1527 on: January 11, 2015, 01:09:28 AM »

2015 Leonard Maltin Movie Review Book.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1528 on: January 12, 2015, 06:14:51 AM »

I seem to have an ever mounting stack of books to read. I am trying to work through the last 4 Terry Pratchett novels, but I've been finding him slowly getting harder to read and less enjoyable over the years. Partway through the middle book of Memory, Sorrow & Thorn while recently I was given a lovely edition of the original Brothers Grimm fairy tales (the ones you maybe don't want your kids to read), as well as The Empire Strikes Back & Return Of The Jedi as Shakespeare might have written them (What light through Yoda's window breaks?) as well as the various collections of Michael Moorcock.

At some point I need to go back and finish the Game of Thrones novels too, I think I made it as far as After The Feast, then I got married and suddenly all my free time seems to have vanished.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1529 on: January 12, 2015, 08:32:51 AM »

2015 Leonard Maltin Movie Review Book.

I read somewhere that the 2015 edition will be the last: I don't know how true that is.

Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 151
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.