Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:58:04 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 151
Author Topic: Reading anything?  (Read 742809 times)
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1575 on: May 01, 2015, 07:29:33 AM »

Right now:
So, Anyway... by John Cleese

On deck:
Dancing With Myself by Billy Idol

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #1576 on: May 07, 2015, 02:15:35 PM »

Grain Brain

by David Perlmutter, MD

Want to avoid senility? Heart disease? Diabetes? Stroke? High blood pressure? Want to lose weight, and slow aging? Ever wondered why after half a century of low-fat diets being hailed as cure-alls, heart disease rates have not sharply declined? Or why diabetes is almost the cultural norm, with more children than ever taking insulin?

Then read this book to find out what doctors themselves often don't know. Likely you're doing many things wrong, and no matter how dedicated your doctor is, she's probably unintentionally misleading you, because she herself was blissfully mislead. We live in an age when the medical community is simply wrong about so many things, as many outsiders, with copious evidence to support their views, have long been claiming. Finally people are beginning to listen and understand the major contributors to death in western society are sugars and carbohydrates, not most fats.

Grain Brain is a brave book that should not still, in 2015, be as revolutionary as it sounds, since the data its author cites was established long ago.

The food companies, the deep-pocketed drug companies, and even sadly misinformed physicians, are killing millions every year. An entire pharmaceutical industry (five times bigger today than it was a generation ago) exists with a financial interest in keeping people sick. The entire food pyramid is upside down. You've been lied to for decades. Educate yourself for your own good.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1577 on: May 10, 2015, 02:08:11 PM »

Ye-es!

Carrie Le Seur's
The home place
1st novel

Julia Keller's
Summer of the dead
3rd in the Bell Elkins series

A. M. Malliet's
A demon summer
4th in the Max Tudor series

Similar to Tana French's book, mentioned previously, but a much superior read. Reasons for which are given at writer's website.

Bernard Minier's
The frozen dead
translated from the French by Alison Anderson
1st novel

The sexual abuse of children, both boys and girls, from years ago, comes back to haunt the sexual abusers.

While there have been a number of mysteries set in France, both past and present, the ones I have read have all been by foreigners. This is the 1st one by someone who is French that I have read. It does have the trope, that the one you know you can trust, is the one you can't trust, and the one you know you can't trust, is the one you can trust. And the book is set up for a sequel.

Barbara Hambly's
Crimson angel
13th in the Benjamin January series

Diana Kelly's
Paw enforcement

A policewoman and her faithful companion, her police dog, try to take down a serial bomber, ere he sets off the big one.

Set in the area in which I live, it does a good job of realistically describing that area. And a sequel is coming.

Next time: something a little different, as we take from 1 book to 4 books previously read and deal with them in more detail than usual.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 03:40:11 PM by BoyScoutKevin » Logged
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1578 on: May 15, 2015, 05:00:25 PM »

I just finished THE GREAT BIG BOOK OF HORRIBLE THINGS by Matthew White.
The author sets out to chronicle the 100 worst atrocities in human history, listing them in chronological order, then ranking them from the most lethal on downward.  Each event gets its own entry, as well as special bonus chapters on everything from "Accepting Ancient Casualty Lists" to 'Religion and War".  Given that this is an incredibly grim and depressing topic, White opts to handle it in a tongue-in-cheek fashion. Nearly every entry contains a quip or quote that made me smile despite the grim prognosis.  For instance:

"With leaderless soldiers and pantless bureaucrats running amok in the capitol, chaos quickly descended over China."

This is a very readable and informative book which settles many questions.  The deadliest event in human history?
World War II - 66 million dead (he includes the dead from the Holocaust in this total).

Tied for second place?

Mao Tse-Dong's rule over China and Ghengis Khan's spree of conquest, each of which left an estimated 40 million dead.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough for anyone interested in history, multicides, or just death in general.
A great read!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
pennywise37

« Reply #1579 on: May 16, 2015, 10:27:32 PM »

i'm about to finish "Stephen King's IT" i have only 36 pages left in it no pun intended he he. and i have no idea what i'm going to pick up next perhaps Lisey's Story? i dunno yet
pennywise37

« Reply #1580 on: May 17, 2015, 09:45:39 AM »

well i finished "IT" and i have no idea just yet what i'm going to read next, and thinking about that remake they are working on now. i hope it's an R rated film and isn't no PG film cause the story calls for it be R i think. i also hope they use the book ending where Derry is about 50% destoryed by a storm from them Killing Pennywise i'd love to see them do that in a film version of it. there is no doubt it wasn't done in the (1990) version cause they no doubt could not afford to do it plus the

technology  just wasn't there yet.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1581 on: May 18, 2015, 02:02:14 PM »

Ye-es!

Amanda Kyle Williams'
Stranger in the room
2nd in the Keye Street series

and
Don't talk to strangers
3rd in the Keye Street series

Our heroine takes on serial killers. In Atlanta in the 2nd, and not in Atlanta, but in the Atlanta area in the 3rd.

One thing that makes these a fun read, despite the topic, is the writer's sense of humor. And from the set-up at the end of the 3rd one, the 4th in the series should have something to do with the heroine's birth mother, as the heroine is Asian-American, who was given up by her birth mother for adoption, and adopted by a white couple. But . . . ?! What I'd like to see is a prequel about the heroine's days in the FBI, where she was a good FBI analyst, before she became a better drunk. And one of her 1st cases as a FBI analyst was what was known as the Marshland Murders, as the bodies of the victims were placed in steel drums and dumped into a marsh.

Now fiction, like real life, a serial killer's victims will be the same age and the same sex, and if not the same age, then the same sex, and if not the same sex, then the same age, but . . .  .? Here we have neither the same age nor the same sex, as the killer's victims were young boys and older women.

Mala Nunn's
Present darkness
4th in the Emmanuel Cooper series

When a white couple is found dead in their home in South Africa, and a black man is found dead in the backyard, the only survivor is the couple's teenage daughter, who lies about what happened, as she implicates the teenage son of our hero's black sergeant in the murders. Why? And why won't the boy talk about where he was that night.

Andrew Brown's
Cold sleep lullaby
in the Detective Eberard Februarie series
a prizewinner in South Africa

When a young girl is found nude and floating face down in the river that runs through the town, the question becomes who and why? A story in two parts. Part I is the present day. Part II is the same town, when it was 1st founded by whites over 300 years earlier. And how the 2 parts connect.

One thing that comes through South African literature is how South Africa has left an emotional hole in its fictional characters. And this is true, whether the writer is . . .

a woman or a man
of mixed race or white
setting the story in the past or the present
and is an émigré or still lives in the country.

Next time: mysteries set in the time of the Roman Empire

pennywise37

« Reply #1582 on: May 18, 2015, 08:39:47 PM »

From A Buick 8 i'm almost 100 pages into it and i still haven't made up my mind if it's a good one so far or a bad one.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1583 on: May 18, 2015, 10:24:20 PM »

I really liked that one.  Not real long on explanations, but lots of mystery and human drama.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
pennywise37

« Reply #1584 on: May 18, 2015, 10:46:15 PM »

that's nice to hear to be honest cause i dunno how many people i've read online say how bad the book is. i'm only on like page 80 now. but it's slowly moving along. i look at it this way he has done far far worse books. it's already one up on The girl who loved tom Gordon where stuff actually happens! where in that nothing happens at all but putting me to sleep when i was reading it. that one i only read once and i'll never read again because of how bad that one is.

anyways i first thought for many years it was going to be a Christine Clone and i've thought this for years and it's clearly not so i'm grateful for that. this one would be interesting to see as a film. i dunno if it would be a good one or a bad one but it's different to say the least.
dean

« Reply #1585 on: May 19, 2015, 02:38:56 AM »

Just read two of the three Strain novels by Guillermo Del Toro. Pretty decent reworking of the vampire myth. Makes me want to check out the TV series: has anyone seen it?

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
pennywise37

« Reply #1586 on: May 19, 2015, 02:17:23 PM »

no and i had no idea he even wrote any books so that's news to me my friend
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #1587 on: May 19, 2015, 04:26:12 PM »

Almost finished Whitley Strieber's Communion.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
pennywise37

« Reply #1588 on: May 22, 2015, 02:26:31 PM »

i'm nearly done with From a Buick 8 and i just started it on sunday!  only have 87 pages left! i prolly will try and finish that tonight in fact. and i at first didn't really like it when i 1st started it i mean. but instead of reading one chapter and giving up on it. cause you no doubt have to give books a chance cause it does take more than just one chapter for things to  happen. and it took awhile for me to get into it. in short for things to start happening and it's not like some of his other books for those who haven't read it. and it more or less in a way doesn't even feel like a book he'd even write cause it's so different than the normal kind of stuff he'd write.

i looked up on wikipedia cause i was just curious on what genre it was listed as cause it's not a horror novel at all.
it's not like Christine where that car went around killing people who tried to destroy her or even if it was against or mad i mean with Arnie. anyways, it was Labeled as Science Fiction and i thought about that for a minute and i think that suits it to be honest. this one has less action than your typical King book and while stuff does happen, it doesn't have the villian which in this case is the car going around the state killing people who did it wrong. so far of where i am it did kill one person, but that wasn't on the road it was in the garage that it was put in. so far it's not even been driven on the road at all. it's a book that i wonder how it will turn out if and when it gets it gets turned into a film?

the film may be labeled as horror when it's clearly so far not a horror novel at all, for those who have read it what do you think?
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1589 on: May 23, 2015, 12:04:13 AM »

I think it is kind of an old-school, almost Lovecraftian horror/sci-fi story.  I really liked it.

BTW, for your next King book, pick up 11/22/63.  It is probably his best book in the last 20 years!

Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 151
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.