Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:39:45 PM
714221 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 151
Author Topic: Reading anything?  (Read 746257 times)
pennywise37
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1590 on: May 24, 2015, 03:13:08 AM »

i do have that one on hardback but i haven't read it all yet. i did finish from a Buick 8 late last night and i really enjoyed it.

it's a book that took awhile for things to happen and for me to also get used to the way he decided to write that one. now i'm reading dream catcher.  i did think about reading the book you mentioned but i wanted a book that was well a little shorter than that one. he he. and 'Dream Catcher' is shorter than it even though it's still a LONG book too. what did you think of that one?
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1591 on: May 24, 2015, 07:07:18 AM »

I read it when it first came out and wasn't too impressed, honestly.  It just didn't resonate with me the way most of his books do.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
pennywise37

« Reply #1592 on: May 24, 2015, 07:53:39 AM »

i was on wikipedia the other nite and on the page there it said he was on i forget what drug when he wrote that book. he was in the hospital after his accident and i think it was the 1st book he wrote after it. i realize he also did on writing the year before but i forget if he wrote that before or after his accident. anyways, you win some you lose some i guess.

i think everyone expects all his books to be great each time he does a new one, and while there is nothing wrong with that i'm the same way. they i also should realize that regardless on profilic you are. sorry about my crappy spelling.

your favorite authors will no doubt do books that are terrible. i've also read some of his books that are horrible such as the girl who loved tom gordon which is easily one of his most boring books. as for Dreamcatcher i did try and read that years ago than i think i got burnt out by King he he. i hope to finish it this time around. from how far i got i was enjoying it though. i don't remember how far i got though. many people say his early work is the best and some of it is no doubt is, but he's also done some books back than before he got sober that i thought were terrible as well. Carrie is one of his worst books as well. that's the rare case where the original 70's film is actually far far superior to the book.

anyways wikpedia also said that King came out last year saying dreamcatcher isn't one of his favorite books.
and yes that i agree isn't the most reliable sources so weather he said any of this or not i have no idea but it still interesting don't you think? what do you think is his best and worst novel anyways?
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1593 on: May 24, 2015, 09:06:27 AM »

I guess my least favorites by him were INSOMNIA and CHRISTINE.

Too many faves to list, but I particularly liked THE STAND and 11/22/63.  Of his more recent ones, MR. MERCEDES was
interesting - no supernatural elements at all, just a straight murder mystery.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
pennywise37

« Reply #1594 on: May 24, 2015, 04:26:15 PM »

really i love both of those, but to each their own i guess.  please say you didn't like the regulators! that one is easily one of his worst books. i'm curious what he thinks of it now? honestly the connection he did to that book and Desperation i love, some characters lived in one book while those same characters died in another, plus those fantastic hardback covers. that was a great idea he did have. but i result was terrible! i love Desperation but can't stand the regulators. i even read it

i think a 2nd time a few years later hoping i'd like it. but naw it was still a bad book.  there is a great deal of King's work i haven't read yet so me reading From a buick 8 is a good start. i have ADD and my concentration at times can be utter garbage. plus i have to be in the mood to read too. i'm weird like that so for the last 10 years or so i'd say it's gotten worse. but for some reason knock on wood lately i'm able to read again and i'm loving every second of it!

i'd still like to know what he was thinking when he wrote about those kids in it having an orgy though? i wonder what he has to say about that now? he he

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1595 on: May 28, 2015, 01:47:34 PM »

Ye-es!

There was 6, and then there were 2.

I can remember a time, when there were 6 mystery series set in the time of Ancient Rome, which is actually my favorite time period for historical mysteries. Now, there are only these 2.

Ruth Downie's
Semper fidelis :
a novel of the Roman Empire
5th in the Medicus series

and her
Tabula rasa :
a crime novel of the Roman Empire
6th in the Medicus series

and this one, which is actually a continuation of an older series by the writer

Lindsay Davis'
Enemies at home
2nd in the Flavia Albia series

Can we agree not to make these type of characters not the villain, because they have not been steeped in villainy long enough to be credible, and does the writer know how hard it is to kill someone that way? Not emotionally or mentally, but physically. Still . . .?!

It does gets one to raise a question, when someone does something so boneheaded stupid, to whom does one's loyalty belong? One's fellow slaves? One's master and mistress? Or oneself?

Next time: a Mash-up to match any Mash-up
pennywise37

« Reply #1596 on: May 28, 2015, 03:32:47 PM »

i've never even heard of those series but to each their own. so correct me if i'm wrong in what you are trying to say is that you all know who the vililans are if these writers in these stories would make the villians well not so obvious than the story would be much more enthralling? better i mean. not that those books are bad but it's kinda like when you make a horror movie and during the whole movie you wonder who the killer is, and than if you cast certain actors it no doubt will turn out to be them. hence it can be a dead give away by whom is cast in a particular horror film.

you are welcome to correct me if i read that wrong i don't mind
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1597 on: May 28, 2015, 05:22:37 PM »

i've never even heard of those series but to each their own. so correct me if i'm wrong in what you are trying to say is that you all know who the vililans are if these writers in these stories would make the villians well not so obvious than the story would be much more enthralling? better i mean. not that those books are bad but it's kinda like when you make a horror movie and during the whole movie you wonder who the killer is, and than if you cast certain actors it no doubt will turn out to be them. hence it can be a dead give away by whom is cast in a particular horror film.

you are welcome to correct me if i read that wrong i don't mind

Yeah, I guess I could have been clearer, and for that I apologize, but . . . what I was trying to say in my own way, without trying to give anything way, is that children should seldom, if ever, be made the villain, because . . .? (IMHO) they are just not credible as villains, because . . .? They have not been around long enough to learn how to be villains. Children make good victims, because . . .(IMHO) their supposed innocence. They can even be made into good heroes, but . . .? As villains, for the most part no. And as knowing who is the villain in the 3 books, if you had read them, and I am always glad to introduce something unknown to the people who post at and read these boards, you might have been able to cotton out who were the villains, but . . .? As typical, I was not, till the villains were introduced to the reader (me) by the writer. Again, my apologies for not being clearer, but . . .? as I said previously, I didn't want to reveal the villain in Lindsay Davis' book to someone who had not read it, but . . .? To allow the reader to scope out the villain themselves.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1598 on: May 28, 2015, 06:07:42 PM »

Just finished Emile Zola's "The Earth," which was not at all what I expected. I thought it would be a dry 500 page novel about French peasantry in the 1800s. Instead there was drunkeness, fornication, blasphemy, conspiracy, flatulence, fraud, prostitution, rape, murder, incest, and arson. Almost every character, and there were 100 of them counting minor characters, was completely detestable. The French countryside in the 19th century was apparently the trailer park of its day. The book was prosecuted for obscenity. Not bad!

Next up: William Peter Blatty's "The Ninth Configuration" (I'm reading it before seeing the movie, which might be a mistake).

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1599 on: May 28, 2015, 09:25:44 PM »

I just finished THE MAMMOTH BOOK OF DRACULA, a collection of short stories spanning over 100 years - starting with an entry by Bram Stoker himself - all about the King of Vampires.  With authors as diverse as Graham Masterton to Charlaine Harris, there were a lot of different versions of the Count, some more memorable than others, but all entertaining.

RC, you need to read this one!

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #1600 on: May 29, 2015, 11:05:11 PM »

Finished Strieber's Communion. It was a well written book, honestly I liked the first 3/4ths of the book recounting events reported to have involved the author to be the most interesting.

Just started Ghost Radio by Leopoldo Gout. Seems to have a cool spooky atmosphere so far.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1601 on: June 03, 2015, 02:35:55 PM »

Ye-es!
With a mash-up to match almost any mash-up!
And while these characters have more than 1 name, these are the names under which I best know them.

from v.1. of
Gillen and McKelvie's
Style and substance

Loki. as the Norse god reborn as a boy
[Miss] American Chavez. as the girl with 2 Moms
Marvel Boy. as the exiled Kree warrior
Hawkeye. as the girl with the bow
and Wiccan and Hulking. as the 2 teen lovers, who love each other, as only two 17-year-olds can love.

from
Bendis and Copal's
Siege

Slingshot
Bucky and Patriot
Phobos
Stature and Speed[ball]
and Spiderman as a teen

and from v.1.
Nova : origins

Justice
and Nova

In a reverse "V" with . . .

Justice (1st) leading at the point
and Nova flying coverage overhead

and 1st right
Bucky and Patriot (2nd)

and 1st left
Speed[ball] and Stature (3rd)

and 2nd right
[Miss] America Chavez and Marvel Boy

and 2nd left
Slingshot and Hawkeye

and because they are so independent . . .
Loki and Spiderman
to work the outside fringes

and in reserve
Hulking and Wiccan
and put the youngest member
Phobos
between those two.

Give me those 14 teens and 1 preteen, and I'll give you a victory over almost any group of adult villains, you can name.

Because, these 15 have . . .

the agility -- the magic -- the marksmanship -- the marital skills -- the smarts -- the speed -- the stamina -- the telekinesis -- and the unpredictability

and most of all . . . one's underestimation, and therein lies the road to defeat.

Next time: 1 of ea. 1 non-fiction book + 1 graphic novel

pennywise37

« Reply #1602 on: June 03, 2015, 07:42:50 PM »

i'm finally under 200 pages in Dreamcatcher it's a long book folks, especially if it's in paperback form
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1603 on: June 03, 2015, 11:06:06 PM »

There's this new book, THE REDEMPTION OF PONTIUS PILATE, that is supposed to be really good . . .

pennywise37

« Reply #1604 on: June 03, 2015, 11:18:12 PM »

who's it by anyways? you know what i really want to read? Harper Lee's new one when that comes out in I think July ?
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 151
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.