Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:07:46 PM
713350 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 151
Author Topic: Reading anything?  (Read 742846 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #1680 on: November 18, 2015, 06:34:10 PM »

My 3,660 page diary, begun in 1988. I started reading it in the summer, got bogged down with heavy memories, put it aside for a while out of emotional necessity, and to the flinching worry of my family I am wading back in now at around the turn of the century mark.

You know, though, I realize in retrospect my high school was a heavy-stress environment of success at all costs. Get good grades (or else), have good behavior (or else), and get in good colleges (or else). Above all keep your cocaine well hidden, students, the Archdiocese has a certain reputation to uphold in the community.

And check this out:

"Thursday May 19, 1994

Right To Life Day 1994. Charming as always. Who doesn’t want to see dumpsters of mutilated, half-formed fetuses/babies? Who doesn’t want some fat lady with hypertension getting in their face? But this year was different. I didn’t sign their pledge, Julie didn’t sign their pledge, six of us in all. We’re marked now. I expect to get called in over it but AJ said if they do that call a lawyer. Two things: she never volunteers to help; she says hire someone else. Also she must not remember Catholic school. They kick people out who make waves, and they become publics. I am not…worried about being expelled, I’m in AP Group, but I do think something is going to be said. In fact when we didn’t sign they went after us right there and said, “Are you going to kill your babies, then? If not, why not make it official and sign a promise?????” I said I did last year, and asking me to sign again this year is like doubting my word. I mean, wasn’t that a good point? One came and prayed for us and we got stared at. Thing is, later at least four people came over and said we were cool for not letting them bully us.

RTL Day is total stress. And this year was the worst ever."

I mean holy crap in a tuxedo, it's a wonder none of us climbed a tower in Austin!

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1681 on: November 18, 2015, 09:51:36 PM »

I just finished re-reading Lee Strobel's THE CASE FOR A CREATOR.

All I can say is, anyone who doubts there is some sort of guiding intelligence behind our cosmos needs to read this book.
A wonderful arraying of scientific evidence that all points in one direction . . .

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #1682 on: November 21, 2015, 12:33:12 PM »

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1683 on: November 27, 2015, 05:18:46 AM »

Finished reading "A knight of 7 kingdoms". Wonder how long it will be before it gets made into a series.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1684 on: December 01, 2015, 05:16:38 PM »

Ye-es!

Scott-Clark and Levy's
(2 Brits)
The siege :
68 hours inside the Taj Hotel
4 more non-fiction

India's 9/11 or as in the Indian calendar 26/11

Excluding the attackers, 33 people in the hotel died within those 3 days.
guests 19 (58%)
staff 12 (36%)
security forces 2 (16%)

men 25 (76%)
women 6 (18%)
children 2 (6%)
and 1 dog

Not only Indians died, foreigners from 8 or 9 different countries also died, and while there were Americans staying at the hotel, at that time, no Americans died at the hotel. Yet 6 Americans died in other attacks, which killed 133 more people, in the city of Mumbai or Bombay.

While most of the people at the hotel during the attack . . .

1250 guests (1.52% died)
500 staff (2.4% died)

escaped death or even injury, everyone at the hotel must have suffered emotional and/or mental distress of some greater or lesser extent.

All the attackers in the city were killed, except 1 who was captured alive and later hanged. The writers telling not only the story of the hotel guests and staff, but . . .?! that of the attackers as well.

Next time: the greatest fad the world has ever seen.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1685 on: December 08, 2015, 09:03:31 PM »

Just picked "Charlie Kaufman and Hollywood's Merry Band of Pranksters, Fabulists and Dreamers" up off the shelf where it's been sitting for a couple of years. Also revisiting the original "Joe Bob Goes to the Drive-In" collection.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1686 on: December 10, 2015, 08:10:12 PM »

Ye-es!

Zac Bissonnette's
The Great Beanie Baby bubble :
mass delusion and the dark side of cute
2 more non-fiction

1. It is a good intro. to the subject, but . . .?! Is it a full explanation of the subject? I am not sure, but . . .?! He makes an valiant try. It was just such a bizarre phenomena, I am not sure anyone can do a complete explanation of it.

2. Part of the problem is that everything about the man behind the phenomena is secondary. The writer just could not get an interview with the man. Not that the writer is alone in that. That man has not given an interview in years.

3. An interesting man. One that is easy to dislike, but . . .?! Beyond that, one you can't help but . . .?! feel sorry for.

4. Another part of the problem of the phenomena is that while the man was lucky, he also was skillful, and it is almost impossible to say how much of his success was due to luck, and how much was due to skill.

5. Inadvertently or not, the writer does show how skewed is the American economy at the present time. The man is a multi-billionaire many times o'er, but . . .?! yet he is not in the top 200 richest Americans. All of whom have more money than the man.

6. Of course, as the writer points out, as in the Gold Rush, the men who got wealthy were not the men who dug the gold with shovels, but . . .?! the men who sold the shovels to the men who dug the gold with the shovels. Or as here, the men who got wealthy were the men who made it and sold it. Not the men who bought it.

7. The writer also points out there are 2 types of fads. The one here, which is "an investment" fad, where one invests in something in the hope that it'll increase in value later, and "a fun" fad, in which you do not do for future investment, but . . .?! just for fun.

8. Thus, before beginning this book, one might want to read a book in general about fads. Several which are mentioned by the writer.

9. As fads, such as the one here, are very much a product of their time and place, as explained by the writer.

To be continued . . .

And a double feature this time.

We have been promised by Marvel some new Star Wars comic books, and I just saw my 1st one. (A report on it later.)

Rucka, Checchetto, and Unzaera's
Star Wars : Journey to Star Wars :
the Force Awakens - Shattered Empire.

Which gave me some more Star Wars titles from Marvel.

Star Wars : the Original Marvel Years : Omnibus vols. 1-3
Star Wars : Episode IV - a New Hope
Star Wars : Episode V - the Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars : Episode VI - Return of the Jedi

All of which are available now, and all of which are now new comic books, being reprints of earlier comic books from Marvel. What I do not know is whether the following titles are new or reprints like the above titles.

Star Wars Legends Epic Collection : the Old Republic vol. 1
Star Wars Legends Epic Collection : Rise of the Sith vol. 1
Star Wars Legends Epic Collection : the Empire vol. 1
Star Wars Legends Epic Collection : the New Republic vol. 1
All TPB

and . . .
Star Wars : Darth Vader. vol. 1 - Vader
Unknown availability

Next time: the conclusion of The Great Beanie Baby Bubble
pennywise37

« Reply #1687 on: December 13, 2015, 12:26:30 AM »

i just read 2 books more or less back to back. the most i had read Since September. and they are  Patrica Cornwell's (1994) book "The Body Farm' which is the 5th book in her Kay Scarpetta Series and it was a decent book. it had plenty of flaws and i hated Marino in it he was nothing but a well a dick to pretty much everyone. for those who have read the series ya will know who i'm talking about.  that's not what hurt the novel the most though. i dunno it just wasn't one of her better books.

but you will have that with any author i suppose so it doesn't make me mad that i didn't love it though. so rather than dwell on how that was a medicore book at best. though it did have some stuff in it i liked. such as Kay telling her sister off and calling her not only a horrible mother but a horrible human being and that it's a tragedy her niece Lucy has her for a mother. ok that part  i freaking loved!  cause her sister is one of those characters that really does make one mad if you think about it too long. yet the character is fiction and it's amazing how some books and some stuff in books can really make one mad ya know?

anyways the other one i read is Ed Mcbain's 2nd 87th Precinct novel and that's (1956)'s The Mugger i read i believe the longer extended version if you want to call it that. i have read this one before like 20 years ago i think? i may have read it since but i honestly don't remember. anyways

this version which my paperback is 178 pages long the original i think was 153 so it's a little longer. anyways it was well a pretty good book.
sometimes when authors make their books longer later in life i think it can help the book as in the case of this one and the 1st one that also came out the same year. called Cop Hater. i read both books originally in (1995) and i didn't care for both of them back than. but i have the longer version of Cop Hater that's like over 100 pages longer and the book to be honest is so much better than the original version. 

the 3rd book i may read next also came out the same year called "The Pusher' and that's the 1st one i remember saying to myself the book that really made me fall in love with the series. it's also the 1st really good book in the series as well at least i think so anyways. i' am now reading those in order and that's going to take me forever cause there are 55 books in the series and i'm only on the 3rd book now.  i've read about half of them i think. anyways any Ed McBain fans on here?
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1688 on: December 20, 2015, 03:07:11 PM »

Ye-es!

Continuing with . . .
Bisonnette's "The Great Beanie Baby Bubble"

10. It probably could not have happened today or yesterday ere the advent of E-Bay, which made much of it possible, as it was a product of its time and place.

11. And while there are probably more fads out there, then I know exist, I still miss the fads that happened when I was growing up. Not the "investment' fads like this one, but . . .?! The "fun" fads of my youth.

12. One could not be unaware of it, when it happened, but . . .?! What surprised me was how big it all was, as I had nothing to do with it.

13. And how small was the company. It was not an Amazon nor an Apple nor a Wal-Mart nor a Walt Disney with billions of sales and thousands of employees worldwide. The company--indeed--had billions in sales, but . . .?! Probably fewer than a thousand employees worldwide.

14. The man also did everything he could to run the business into the ground, according to what I learned in business school, but . . .?! his product was such that e'er he did didn't matter.

15. Going back to the problem of whether this is a "full explanation" or  a "good intro." while he does highlight those who lost money, the writer highlights far more of those who got in early and out early and made money, which was not the case for most people.

16. Indeed, most people could not explain why they did what they did. That is countered by . . . Anyway?!

17. The company still exists, though contracted in size.

18. And the product still exists, though the value of it is not what it once was.

Next time: 6 mysteries and a half dozen non-fiction and graphic novels.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1689 on: December 21, 2015, 09:41:38 AM »

.BERLIN DIARY by William Shirer
.SGT FURY AND HIS HOWLING COMMANDOS vol. 1-issues 1-13!!!!
.LUGOSI:IN PERSON by Gary Don Rhodes.
.DRACULA by Gary Don Rhodes
.THINGS-by Ivan Sanderson
.MORE THINGS by Ivan Sanderson.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1690 on: December 25, 2015, 01:21:10 PM »

Some nice titles there RC - Ivan Sanderson is a legend in the field of Cryptozoology!

This month I finished two titles:

CAN THE GOSPELS BE TRUSTED? by Mark D. Roberts is a solid, critical evaluation of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John by Harvard PhD Roberts.  He analyzes some of the more common criticisms of the historical accuracy of the New Testament and picks them apart with vigor - in particular he deftly eviscerates the popular arguments of Bart Ehrman, author of MISQUOTING JESUS.  This is a fascinating book - it may be too technical for some readers, but it is interesting to see someone educated in the more skeptical scholarly traditions who winds up coming down on the side of the Gospels and well able to defend his reasons for doing so.

UNDER THE LOVING CARE OF THE FATHERLY LEADER by Bradley K. Martin is a fascinating look at North Korea and the Kim Dynasty, from its foundations in the struggle against Japanese occupation to the Cold War era and finally ending in the closing years of King Jong-Il's life in 2005.  Martin has visited North Korea five times and interviews dozens of defectors in these pages, trying to penetrate the veil of secrecy that surrounds the Kims and give a balanced picture of the world's most closed society that ignores propaganda from all sides.  A bit of a slog at times, but still a very informative book with some real gems of descriptive imagery and inside peeks at the private life of what one of my students called "a Communist God."  Highly recommended!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
javakoala
Hermit of Horror

Does ANYBODY remember this guy?

« Reply #1691 on: December 27, 2015, 01:18:41 PM »

Just finished Kelly Kozy's "A Nerd Girl's Guide to Cinema". She's pretty funny, and she does NOT do what a lot of current reviewers like to do, which is trash movies to sound hip and/or superior to what they are talking about.

I've also been reading "Spinegrinder: The Movies Most Critics Won't Write About" by Clive Davies, a Welshman who lives in Japan. Over 7000 reviews. Interesting stuff. He includes a ton of Asian and Japanese films you usually don't see listed in other general film guides. Don't always agree with his likes and dislikes, but he usually avoids trashing a movie, just says it's boring or pointless if it didn't suit him.

Starting on "Nightmare Alley" by William Lindsay Gresham and I have the DVD of the film version on its way. I blame Kelly Kozy and her glowing review of both.

I feel more like I do now than I did a while ago.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1692 on: December 27, 2015, 03:25:36 PM »

Ye-es!

6 of 1 mystery

Charles Todd's
(mother-son writing duo)
A fine summer's day
in the Inspector Rutledge series
something of a prequel to the series

Kathy Reichs'
Bones never lie
17th in the Temperance Brennan series
on TV as "Bones"

Peter Mays'
The Chess men
3rd and final volume in the Finn Macleod trilogy

Ellen Crosby's
Ghost image
2nd in the Sophie Medina series

Simon Brett's
The tomb in Turkey
16th in the Fethering series

Cynthia Harrod-Eagles'
Star fall
7th in the Detective Inspector Bill Slider series

Next time: and a half dozen non-fiction and graphic novels
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1693 on: January 04, 2016, 02:04:29 AM »

So far, so good:

TeddyR TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1694 on: January 05, 2016, 12:34:14 PM »

Ye-es!

a half dozen of the other (i.e. non-fiction and graphic novels)

Jan Russell's
The train to Crystal City :
FDR's secret prisoner exchange program and America's only family internment camp during World War II
2 more non-fiction by the author

3 graphic novels
Stories by Quin Rose
Art by Fujimar

Alice in the country of hearts : the clockmaker's story
Alice in the country of clover : Ace of heart
Alice in the country of hearts : my favorite rabbit

Lucy Worley's
The art of the English murder :
[or, how true crime has inspired fictional novels, plays, prose, paintings, poetry, journalism and later films between 1800 and 1950]
If you rather watch than read, then try the British TV documentary "A very British murder"

Jamie Russell's
Book of the dead :
the complete history of zombie cinema
2nd ed.

Next time: we'll take a greater look at the last title

Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 151
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.