Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:38:34 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 151
Author Topic: Reading anything?  (Read 742880 times)
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1845 on: March 06, 2017, 04:44:18 PM »

Ye-es!
6 of 1 mystery + 1 mystery more

Ann Perry
award winner
ex-pat Kiwi
Treachery at Lancaster Gate
31st in the Charlotte and Thomas Pitt series
Heroes: Brits
Place: London (England)
Time: Past

Elizabeth George
award winner
American
A Banquet of Consequences
in the Lynley series
+ 3 young adult novels
+ 2 short story anthologies
+ 1 non-fiction
And if one rather see, then read, some of the earlier novels have been made into TV episodes

Dolores Redondo
Spaniard
The Invisible Guardian
translator, Isabelle Kaufeher
Spanish publication 2013
English translation 2016
1st in a trilogy
+ at least 1 more fiction
Heroine: Spanish
Place: Basque region of Spain
Time: Present

Simon Brett
Brit
The Killing in the Café
in the Fethering series
Heroines: Brits
Place: England

Carol Muller
American
An Old Fashioned Murder
3rd in the moonshine series
Heroine: American
Place: Virginia (USA)
Her best yet. Though, one can't go wrong with a disparate group of individuals trapped in an isolated location by a blizzard with a murderer among them. And, I'll give her credit, when most writers knock off the most unlikable individual, here 2 of the more likable characters fall victim to murder.

S. D. Sykes
The Butcher Bird
2nd in the Somershill Manor series
Hero: Brit
Place: England
Time: Past (15th century)

Carlene O-Connor
Irish ex-pat
Murder in an Irish Village
1st novel
1st in a series (?)
Heroine: Irish
Place: Ireland

Next time: and a half dozen non-mysteries
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1846 on: March 17, 2017, 04:34:21 PM »

Ye-es!
Though, more than a half dozen mysteries.

Bendu and Schiti
Guardians of the Galaxy :
Emperor Quill
(graphic novel)

Aaron and Gillen
Star Wars :
Vader Down
(graphic novel)

Sally Andrew
1st novel
Recipes for love and murder
1st in the Tannie Maria series
16 Afrikaans recipes
+Afrikaans-English dictionary
Heroine: Afrikaans
Place: South Africa

Kwei Quartey
Ghanaian ex-pat
Gold of our fathers
4th in the Darko Dawson series
2 more fiction
Hero: Ghanaian
Place: Ghana

Dominic Zieglen Blacke
Brit
Dragon River

For almost 800 years or so, the blood flowed like water, watering the land. And the bodies of the victims fertilized the soil.

The victims . . .
the Chinese . . . the Japanese -- the Koreans . . . the Mongols -- the Russians . . . the natives -- and almost every European . . . and Americans, of course

The causes . . .
the accidents . . . the battles -- the diseases . . . the executions -- the land's harshness . . . the murders -- the natural causes . . . the unnatural causes -- and the weather.

Martin Walker
ex-pat American
Fatal Pursuit
9th in the Bruno, Chief of Police series
9 more non-fiction
Hero: French
Place: France

Justin Krebs
Blue in a red state :
the survival guide to life in the real America
2 more non-fiction

Barbara Hambly
American
Drinking gourd
14th in the Benjamin January series
Hero: Afro-American
Place: the South
Time: the Past

Paul Doherty
Brit
The Great Revolt
11th in the Brother Athelstan
Hero: Brit
Place: London (England)
Time: the Past

Next time: free flow association

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1847 on: March 27, 2017, 06:00:37 PM »

Y-es!
Sometimes as I read a book. I just write down my thoughts as they occur. Which I call free flow association, and we'll do the next few books that way.

Alison Weir
Innocent Traitor

Blame it all on the man . . . though not without sympathy for some men -- Where are the pages (boys 7 to 18 learning how to be adults) attending on the noble lords and ladies? . . . Not a word -- As a historian, her 1st novel and thus more of a historian than a novelist . . .  Where the bad is unbelievable, then so is the good -- Political mistakes repeated . . . Henry VIII scares me -- Has a female writer ever thought, if the description is correct, how difficult it'd be to be married to Lady Jane? . . . Not always the husband's fault -- The religious conflict is poorly handled . . . Failure to understand the male viewpoint . . . Barely readable --- Reason for non-consummation of marriage . . . Not as the writer thinks.

Kate Emerson
By Royal Decree

Not always the man's fault . . . Not always the mother-in-law's fault -- Questions what we know . . . The better person lost -- Pink silk for men . . . or more colors for men than in the 21st century -- As in nature, the male is more colorful than the female . . . About women, by women, for women.

Ella Mae Chase
Three Maids for a Crown

New villain . . . Complex motivation -- Just a pawn? . . . Demeaning -- Ignore the other half . . . Cuts no ice . . . Martyrdom -- Execution portrayed . . . Libel and slander . . . Doe a lie tell a better story than the truth? -- Pragmatic? . . . Parody? -- 2 weddings or 1 wedding short . . . Bride 13 and groom 15? -- 1st sister the brain, 2nd sister the beauty, 3rd sister the back--hunchback . . . What no sympathy nor understanding for the male? -- Why wait to consummate the marriage . . . Mary's sympathy at the expense of Elizabeth -- Place 100% of the blame on Edward VI . . . Demeaning -- Whipsawed periphery . . . A godchild named Guildford -- Like one . . . Dislike the other? -- Condemn one for ambition . . . Condemn all -- Is that why she never left? . . . Still no explanation as to why Guildford -- Historically inadequate . . . Write what you want, but it has to be credible, and in that she fails.

Next time: we'll continue in this mode with another by Weir.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1848 on: April 06, 2017, 03:05:55 PM »

Ye-es!
And all in the same mode.

Alison Weir
A Dangerous Inheritance :
a Novel of Tudor Rivals and the Secret of the Tower

Poor Mary and Huntingdon . . . why not Jane and Guildford? . . . double standard? -- Would a 12-year-old bride really be eager for sex? . . . logical reason not to have sex -- Quell dissent only to increase it . . . you only hurt the ones you love -- Better written heroine . . . as heroine comes across as being less stupid -- That's the pragmatic calling the pragmatic black . . . Religion. The politics of the day -- Trying to make them better than they were . . . failure to understand the males -- Much of what is illogical . . . people believe what they want to -- Childbirth is like warfare . . . we wait and there are casualties -- Almost all is contradictory  . . . as she contradicts the contradictions -- From what was written as contemporary and survives . . . can be untrustworthy . . . as people lied then as now -- They were silenced as to make the throne safe . . . who can see in the future? -- Where the writer sees the character as emotional . . . I see the characters as stupid.

Continuing . . .
Alison Weir
Innocent Traitor

Characters contradict themselves . . . an effort to make her look good, actually makes her to look like a stupid and disengaged . . . her husband was more practical than her -- Interesting . . . female traitor suffers a different death (burning) than a male (drawing and quartering) traitor -- Motivation . . . unable to separate the simple from the complex -- To change one's religion is not to save one's life . . . but one's soul.

To be continued . . .
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1849 on: April 12, 2017, 01:19:59 PM »

Ye-es!
And in the same mode as ere.

The scrawny. The gawky.

Not once in the previous 2 books discussed, does Weir use the word "page" (a boy 7-13. sometimes older) nor the word "squire" (an young man 14-20.) While in the next book discussed, Higginbotham uses the word "page" 15 times and the word "squire" 39 times for a total time of 54.

No wonder her "one who got in o'er his head and lost it" his more credible, then Weir's "a wastrel and worst," when they talk about the teenage Lord Guildford Dudley. Thus, here is Susan Higginbotham's . . .

The Traitor's Wife
1st novel
499 p. + a reader's guide

She defends those who can't be defended . . . it must be the ex-lawyer in her -- A winner has many parents, but a loser is an orphan . . . thus I find the losers' story here is less known, but more interesting -- There are no true individual villain . . . the only true villain is the mob -- Whatever they did . . . they didn't deserve that . . . and she makes you feel it -- Characters are deeply flawed . . . even fatally flawed -- She knows how boys and young men relate to each other . . . she feels for the hired help -- The stupidity of some of the characters is mindboggling . . . let loose the psychiatrists -- Where the penalty for stupidity is death . . . no enjoyable and happy time.

To be continued . . .
with another authoress and another novel

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1850 on: April 12, 2017, 07:40:42 PM »

I just finished THE GOSPEL OF PILATE by Paul Creasy.  What he did was take the same basic premise - modern archeologists discover Pilate's long lost report to Rome about the crucifixion of Jesus - and then go in a completely different direction than I did in THE TESTIMONIUM.  The result was a fascinating work; really, he did in one book what I did in two.  He told the story of the discovery of the scroll and the skullduggery that resulted from it, and then told the story of Passion Week from Pilate's point of view.  Although there were a few rough spots where the book could have used better editing, the story overall was really quite good!  I friended the author on FB and chatted with him some; I may try to talk him into joining here - he seems like a kindred spirit.  Anybody who loves Stephen King, H.P. Lovecraft, and cheesy sword and sandals epics should be a natural fit, right?  Anyway, it was a fun book.  If you liked THE TESTIMONIUM, you'll like it, and if you like it, you need to read THE TESTIMONIUM! LOL

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1851 on: April 15, 2017, 03:24:06 AM »

Just finished re-reading BURY MY HEART AT WOUNDED KNEE by Dee Brown. I re-read alot. I'm re-reading WE HAVE ALWAYS LIVED IN THE CASTLE by Shirley Jackson . Usually I can read a book in a day or so-but I got drunk.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1852 on: April 20, 2017, 06:13:08 PM »

Ye-es!
And in the same mode as ere.,

Elizabeth Freemantle
Sisters of Treason
1 more fiction

Are girlish maids the equivalent of boyish pages? -- The past + the present = fear . . . from the authoress -- Bruges safer? . . . They were burning Protestants in Bruges --  1 bad marriage does not mean that all marriages are bad -- "You never think of what your antics might upon anyone else." . . . Think more of God -- "Jane could hardly bring herself to look at him [Guildford] despite his handsomeness." . . . Men almost always come out badly in these stories -- A caution not to rise above one's station -- It is wrong for a man to slap a woman, but a woman can slap a man . . . Double standard? -- The ending fails.

Next time: another one similiar
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1853 on: April 27, 2017, 05:48:32 PM »

Ye-es!

Brandy Purdy
The Boleyn Bride
4 more fiction + readers' guide

"I always did fancy younger men." . . . at 14. diving into the pre-teen pool -- Blame others for one's mistakes . . . Instead of looking into a mirror -- Be careful what you wish for . . . you may get it -- Statutory rape . . . sexual abuse of young girls -- Underage males . . . boys are safe -- Actually, at this time, boys were no more immune to sexual abuse, by both men and women,  than girls . . . double standard? -- Trust in wrong man . . . trust in the wrong person -- No husband's viewpoint . . . men written out . . . double standard? -- Failure as . . . wife . . . mother . . . mistress . . . lover . . . guilt only as mother failure -- Like mother . . . like daughter? -- Torture makes liars of us all . . . dragging others down . . . unpleasant way to die -- Her enemies . . . enemies her.

Continuing in the same mode ere
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1854 on: April 27, 2017, 09:44:16 PM »

I just finished A SHORT HISTORY OF WORLD WAR II by James Stokesbury.  A vast topic, succinctly and analytically covered in fewer than 300 pages.  Very well done!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1855 on: May 06, 2017, 01:37:33 PM »

Ye-es!

Ella March Chase
The Virgin Queen's Daughter
1st novel

Maids of honor instead of pages . . . 6 instead of 14 . . . a door instead of a curtain cross the doorway . . . a shared bed instead of a pallet on the floor -- Same people different behavior . . . different strokes for different folks -- Men who do not wish to marry . . . are pressured to marry . . .  read your Boccaccio people -- At 3 or 4 boys were betrothed to their future bride .. at 11 or 12 they married . . . at 15 or 16 they consummated their marriage -- History is hindsight . . hindsight is 20/20 in the rearview mirror -- Like father . . . like daughter -- Beat the drum . . . bang the gong . . . get it on -- What goes on . . . is lust -- And make excuses for poor behavior.

Next time: continuing in the same mode as ere
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1856 on: May 07, 2017, 10:34:18 AM »

About to start

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1857 on: May 11, 2017, 06:40:49 PM »

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1858 on: May 11, 2017, 07:40:01 PM »

Don't let Indy catch you reading that!

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1859 on: May 11, 2017, 08:50:27 PM »

Meh.
Ehrman's just another bitter ex-Christian with an agenda.
Sloppy scholar, too.  LOL

Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 151
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.