Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:28:22 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 151
Author Topic: Reading anything?  (Read 742879 times)
Pacman000
« Reply #1890 on: May 22, 2017, 02:31:51 PM »

Finished Servants of the Wankh by Jack Vance. It gets more interesting near the end (they try to steal a spaceship,) but still lacks something. Too much time is spent moving from place to place with nothing happening, and when something does happen Vance describes it so plainly it's dull. And there wasn't an alien dinosaur.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #1891 on: May 23, 2017, 10:38:31 AM »

Just re- read this....

I first found a copy of this book in 1974, bought it because it was Vincent Price, loved it. It originally came out in 1950, and has been out of print for years; Price's daughter Victoria got it re- printed, and I bought a copy from Amazon. If you're "dog people", and even if you're not, you might like this.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1892 on: May 29, 2017, 05:47:32 PM »

The 4th turning.
Femenism (michael focault).

exterminate all rational thought.....
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1893 on: May 30, 2017, 01:34:11 PM »

As previously mentioned in my previous post, there are exceptions. One of which is Susan Higginbotham, which we'll get to later. Another is . . .

Hand, Ashton, Meadows
My Lady Jane
a historical novel where the major characters can turn into animals.
as I said previously, they do correct the previous problems mentioned.

1st No double standard
What is inappropriate for a man is inappropriate for a woman. What is appropriate for a woman is appropriate for a man.

2nd No double untruth
Bad women. Good men

3rd While the main character is a woman, the men are not ignored. Indeed, two thirds of the chapters are given to the men in the story. One is her teenage cousin the king. The other is her teenage husband.

4th They understand. They understand how a married couple, even a teenage married couple, can relate to each other.

And most importantly, they understand the young (under 20) male psyche better than most writers. Both women and men.

5th That is because, they try, and you can see them trying, to understand the male psyche.

And a couple more points.

6th For all the wrongs, which we'll get to later, both major and minor, they get some things remarkably right.

7th And it is really quite funny.

Next time: Battle of the broads
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1894 on: June 05, 2017, 06:38:20 PM »

Battle of the Broads

The American: Susan Higginbotham
The Brit: Alison Weir

Both are historical novelists.
Both have written novels set in the same place and time.
Thus, let the battle begin.

In an era, when everyone's home was filled with everyone else's children.
Susan: she mentions this many times.
Alison: she seldom mentions this.

Thus
Susan: her characters are credible, especially the children.
Alison: her characters are less credible, especially the children.

Susan: her heroes are flawed, even fatally flawed.
Alison: her heroes are perfect or almost perfect.

Thus
Susan: her characters come across as more human and less stereotypical.
Alison: her characters come across as more stereotypical and less human.

Characterization
Susan: one who got in o'er his head and lost it.
Alison: the upstart fool and worst.

Thus
Susan: more realistic character
Alison: less realistic character

Susan: she defends the indefensible
Alison: she twists the truth to prosecute the defensible

Susan: her writing is more familial
Alison: her writing is less familial

Susan: her sex scenes are better written and include non-heterosexual sex
Alison: her sex scenes are lesser written and do not include non-heterosexual sex.

Thus
Susan: with this and others gives an aura of reality to the story
Alison: with this and others gives an aura of unreality to the story.

Thus
Susan comes across as the better historical novelist.

Next time: not dc vs. marvel, but marvel vs. marvel
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

« Reply #1895 on: June 09, 2017, 03:37:21 PM »

Just re-read the second book in the Sonja Blue series....

If you're into non-sparkly, non-whiny, non- navel-gazing vampires, this series is great.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1896 on: June 17, 2017, 03:38:57 PM »

I guess I better get my bona fides out of the way, as someone who much prefers Marvel to DC, much of which I find unreadable, and in that I might be like many others, as I believe Marvel comics outsell DC comics. Still, I find some Marvel comics unreadable, some readable, and then there are these from Marvel.

Best group (adult)
Guardians of the Galaxy

Best group (teen)
The Young Avengers

Best group (mash up)
(adult + teen)
The New, the Different Avengers

Best family group (tie)
And this one hurts, and it hurts bad.
The Visions

This one does not hurt as bad. Maybe because it is leavened with some humor
House of M
Head of household: Magneto
Children:
The Twins: Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch and
their sister Lorna
Grandchildren:
The Twins: Wiccan and that goofball Speedball

Best supporting characters
The friends and family of Ms. Marvel
For who else would hold a dance party to celebrate the Eve of the Apocalypse.
Who would stand on the roof of the high school gym, knowing that they would never be more than BFs, but expressing their true feelings for each other, because there are just some things that need to be said ere you die.

Best villain
Wilson "The Kingpin" Fisk

Best duo (tie)
Iron Fist (Danny Rand) and Power Man (Luke Cage)
and
Rocket and Groot

Best gay duo
The teens: Wiccan and Hulking

Next time: a film, a miniseries, a TV movie
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1897 on: June 23, 2017, 08:24:34 PM »

THE QUARTET: ORCHESTRATING THE SECOND AMERICAN REVOLUTION, 1783-1789 by Joseph J. Ellis

Ellis is one of the best historians out there when it comes to the Revolutionary era - his FOUNDING BROTHERS is one of my all-time favorites.  This latest book by him focuses on how four men - George Washington, Alexander Hamilton, James Madison, and John Jay - combined forces to create a new government for the United States, replacing the unworkable and unworking Articles of Confederation with the Constitution that has governed our country for the last 229 years.  In so doing, he does slay a few sacred cows, but at the same time he points out that the myth of the "miracle at Philadelphia" doesn't even begin to do justice to the real process that the founders used to bring about our Constitution.  Always pithy, there are a number of memorable phrases in the book - my favorite was when he referred to Washington as "the Foundingest Father of them all" - and I also like the fact that he does not commit the all-too common error of judging men of past generations by the moral or political standards of today.  This is a great addition to anyone's American history library.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

« Reply #1898 on: June 26, 2017, 02:53:02 PM »

I'm currently re-reading one of the first science-fiction novels I ever read....

As I understand, this was originally supposed to be a MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. novel, but the Editor at Ace Books had it reworked as a sci-fi-spy thriller; it proved popular enough to warrant three more books in the series....

It was a fun read back in '69, and it still is.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1899 on: June 27, 2017, 01:30:50 PM »

A film, a miniseries, a TV movie.
These are the books that I have read and enjoyed, that I'd like to see made into a film, a miniseries, or a TV movie.

Anne Perry
Blue gate Fields

While the 1st book in this series, The Cater Street Hangman, was turned into a TV movie, there have been no attempts, as far as I know, to adapt any of the others to film.

Andrew Shvarts
Royal Bastards

The 1st in a fantasy trilogy.
The 2nd is at the publishers in a rough draft and should be out sometime later this year.
The 3rd should be out sometime next year.

Brought to you by the same publishers who brought you the Descendant series. Thus, can they do for this, what they did for Descendants? This has a lot going for it. More on this later.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
The White Company

If director John Ford had lived a couple of years longer than he did, there was some talk of him adapting this book, which is about an English mercenary company in medieval France and Spain, into a film. What is perhaps even stranger, than no one else has ever thought of doing this, as far as I know, is that Ford wanted the film to star Sir Alec Guinness, Lord Laurence Olivier, and John "The Duke" Wayne. Well, that is taking everybody out of their comfort zone.

C. S, Lewis
The Narnia Chronicles
--The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (done)
--Prince Caspian (done)
--The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (done)
--The Silver Chair (doing)

Yet I have already seen film versions of these. A number of years ago, when British TV did a miniseries, these are the 4 books that they use. Thus, what I'd like to see is the other 3 . . .
--The Horse and His Boy
--The Magician's Nephew
--The Last Battle
. . . books adapted onto film. For as far as I know, this has never been done to date.

Hand, Ashton, Meadows
My Lady Jane

A film production company has optioned this in an attempt to make a film out of the book. Though, remembering what happened to Princess Bride, to which this has been compared, while the House of Mouse need not produce it. I'd like to see them distribute and promote it. And maybe they will, as they have done previous business with the production company. Again, more on this later.

John Christopher
The Tripods Trilogy
--The White Mountains
--The City of Gold and Lead
--The Pool of Fire

Again, when British TV did a miniseries based on this trilogy, for some reason, which I still cannot understand, they only used the 1st 2 books, even though I hold the 3rd book is the best book in the trilogy. So, let's do it again, and use all 3 books this time. The author did, some years after the trilogy, wrote something of a prequel to the trilogy.

When the Tripods Came

Justin Semper
Allies and Assassins

This is being shopped around with the hope that someone will pick it up and adapt it to film. There is also, apparently, a sequel to this, which I have not read.

Will Henry
Pitchfork Patrol

If John Wayne was still alive, there is a perfect part for him in this Western novel, as the leader of the patrol.

One thing that surprised me is how few of the books that I have read and enjoyed, that I want to see adapted to film.

Yeah, I missed one. Artemis Fowl is a series of 8 books about an young master criminal which was written by Eoin Colfer. While the series has been in the film pipeline since 2001, it is still the series of those listed, that is most likely to be become a film. With Robert De Niro rumored to be producing and Kenneth Branagh rumored to be directing.

Next time: more and more, but 1st, men or women? who writes the best historical novels? men or women?

« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 05:28:08 PM by BoyScoutKevin » Logged
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1900 on: July 01, 2017, 08:06:57 PM »

INSIDE THE KGB by Vladimir Kuzichkin

This is a fascinating memoir by a Soviet defector, written even as the Gorbachev revolution was beginning the process that ultimately brought the USSR crashing down onto the ash heap of history.  It is easy, reading Kuzichkin's detailed account of his years as a KGB agent, to see why the "Evil Empire" ended as ignominiously as it did - the corruption, cronyism, and ideological bankruptcy of the Soviet Union is on clear display throughout.  Filled with fascinating anecdotes about the political and diplomatic leaders of the country, as well as an insider's view of events like the fall of the Shah's regime and the Russian invasion of Afghanistan, this memoir is a great read!  As a military veteran of the Reagan years, and someone with some knowledge of America's own intelligence community, this book was an eye-opening expose of just how powerless and inconsequential the KGB had become by the end of the Brezhnev years.  I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in Russian history, or the Cold War era in general.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #1901 on: July 03, 2017, 09:25:09 AM »

Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN comic, in annotated form.
Also, just look at how big these books are for a graphic novel

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 09:29:18 AM by El Misfit » Logged

yeah no.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1902 on: July 03, 2017, 12:23:09 PM »

I really need to get those.

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #1903 on: July 04, 2017, 09:31:31 AM »

I really need to get those.
I like them more than Watchmen, I highly recommend them.

yeah no.
Pacman000
« Reply #1904 on: July 07, 2017, 07:07:14 AM »

Collected Works: Adventures Into The UNKNOWN! Volume Three.

A collection of ACG's early 50's horror comics. Somewhat corny, but well drawn and imaginative. I may try to write mini-reviews of some of the stories.
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 151
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.