Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:56:33 AM
713331 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Iran is NOT months away from a nuclear weapon « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Iran is NOT months away from a nuclear weapon  (Read 12618 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: November 20, 2008, 03:35:17 PM »

that's the startling conclusion I have come to after researching the veracity of a claim made today in the NY Times. 

http://www.iranfocus.com/en/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32

Iranians are close making nuclear bomb       
Sunday, 15 August 2004
The Times

By Michael Evans, Defence Editor

IRAN is just “months away” from having the capability to enrich uranium for a nuclear bomb, Western diplomatic sources said yesterday.

Through diplomatic man-oeuvring, Tehran had bought time to complete its research on constructing a centrifuge system to produce highly enriched uranium, the sources told The Times.

The Iranians had clearly chosen that track for developing bomb-grade material over creating plutonium from its nuclear reactor facility at Bushehr, they said. “Iran appears to be further advanced in acquiring the relevant nuclear technology than we had initially thought,” said one British official.

The new sense of concern about Iran’s nuclear intentions was confirmed by British diplomatic sources. 

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=47742

Iran only months
away from nuke?
U.N.'s ElBaradei affirms
Israel's assessment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: December 05, 2005
1:00 am Eastern

International Atomic Energy Agency chairman Mohamed ElBaradei affirmed Israel's assessment that Iran is only a few months away from creating a nuclear weapon, the Jerusalem Post reported.
Iran decided to resume uranium processing at Isfahan in August 2004, in clear defiance of its promise to the EU-3 – France, Germany and Britain – that uranium processing would be stopped while negotiations were underway.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/05/21/iran.nuclear/index.html

Israel: Iran 'months' from making nukes
Prime minister says unilateral action not being considered

Sunday, May 21, 2006; Posted: 11:18 p.m. EDT (03:18 GMT)

Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert and his wife, Aliza, board a plane for the United States on Sunday.
Image: 

Manage Alerts | What Is This? WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Iran is only months away from joining the club of nations that can make a nuclear weapon, Israel's prime minister said in a recent interview.

"The technological threshold is very close," Ehud Olmert said on CNN's "Late Edition" in an interview taped Thursday and broadcast Sunday.

"It can be measured by months rather than years."

http://mvdg.wordpress.com/2007/11/07/iran-months-away-from-wmds/

Iran Months Away from WMDs?
November 7, 2007 by Michael van der Galiën

It seems that Iran can produce a nuclear weapon within nine months time, now it has expanded its working centrifuge system to 3,000. As Ed Morrissey points out, the 3,000 centrifuges was announced as an intermediate goal nine months ago “on the way to 54,000, at which point they could produce a bomb every two weeks.”

Tick. Tick.

Tick.

The West should better get its act together soon. Iran can’t be allowed to develop WMDs. If the regime doesn’t use them directly itself, chances are that we’ll see terrorists using them. These developments - if accurate - mean that the US and European countries have to lobby for more effective sanctions than the ones currently in place and that the time has arrived to prepare for a military strike against Iran’s nuclear facilities. There’s still time to act, at the very least nine months, but at the moment Iran has a nuclear weapon it’s too late.

There’s still time for diplomacy, but time’s running out quickly. Partisan bickering isn’t helpful, neither is warning people for ‘warmongering.’ Iran represents an all too real threat to the West and to Israel.

I can't tell ytou how relieved I am to see the press are alarmist a***oles and we can go on with our lives, crashing stock market and two half won wars  knowing we don't have to worry about iran launching a nuclear attack against us
ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 04:05:49 PM »

Unfortunately, they're eventually going to be right.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 05:13:51 PM »

well we've got about 10,000 nukes our selves and thousands of miles of space between the Us and iran so...I think maybe I won't worry about this.  i'm more worried about zombie saddam hussein aquiring WMD
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 06:25:40 PM »

Months, years, it’s hair splitting. Since Iranian scientists are neither lazy nor uneducated, and in fact are very motivated, it's only a matter of time until Iran acquires nuclear weapons. I've had an interest in Persian culture and history and so have read about it off and on for years, and while I do admire the fact that the modern Iranian nation does not have a history of invading other countries, and in fact repudiated its own arguably justified claims to Bahrain, I suppose there is a case to be made for Iranian territorial non-aggression, and Iran’s international responsibility. However, Iran is also waist-deep in sponsorship of some of the most anti-American, violent, vile terrorist organizations on earth, so the thought of Iran having nuclear armaments isn’t reassuring. We live in frightening times while we lull ourselves with our Hollywood blockbusters.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 09:58:46 AM »

Iran is also waist-deep in sponsorship of some of the most anti-American, violent, vile terrorist organizations on earth,

like?

they don't support al queda.  that's the only anti american group I'm concerned with
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 10:05:39 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 05:38:21 PM »

Great question, lester! In answer, this comes from the official website of the Council on Foreign Relations:

"Does Iran sponsor terrorism?

In March 2006, U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said, “Iran has been the country that has been in many ways a kind of central banker for terrorism in important regions like Lebanon through Hezbollah in the Middle East, in the Palestinian Territories, and we have deep concerns about what Iran is doing in the south of Iraq.” U.S. Director of National Intelligence Michael McConnell told CFR.org in June 2007 there is “overwhelming evidence” that Iran supports terrorists in Iraq and “compelling” evidence that it does the same in Afghanistan. For these reasons, news reports in August 2007 cited U.S. officials as saying that the United States would consider adding Iran’s Revolutionary Guard to the State Department’s list of foreign terrorist organizations. Iran has repeatedly denied involvement in helping attacks on U.S. forces in Iraq and Afghanistan."

Here's another:

"What terrorist activities have been linked with Iran?

The U.S. government first listed Iran as a terrorist sponsor in 1984. Among its activities have been the following:

* Observers say Iran had prior knowledge of Hezbollah attacks, such as the 1988 kidnapping and murder of Colonel William Higgins, a U.S. Marine involved in a UN observer mission in Lebanon, and the 1992 and 1994 bombings of Jewish cultural institutions in Argentina.
    * Iran still has a price on the head of the Indian-born British novelist Salman Rushdie for what Iranian leaders call blasphemous writings about Islam in his 1989 novel The Satanic Verses.
    * U.S. officials say Iran supported the group behind the 1996 truck bombing of Khobar Towers, a U.S. military residence in Saudi Arabia, which killed nineteen U.S. servicemen."

Another website for a group called "Iran Terror" has much more to say on the subject, and can be found at:
http://www.iranterror.com/

Lastly but not least, our old friend about.com opines:

"Iran, State Sponsor of Terrorism:

Iran has consistently been described by the United States as the world's foremost state sponsor of terrorism. It actively supports terrorist groups, most prominently the Lebanese group Hezbollah. The Iranian relationship with Hezbollah demonstrates one accepted explanation of why states sponsor terrorism: to indirectly influence politics elsewhere.

According to Michael Scheuer, former CIA officer:

State-sponsored terrorism came in the middle-1970s, and ... its heyday was in the 1980s and early-'90s. And typically, the definition of a state sponsor of terrorism is a country that uses surrogates as its weapon to attack other people. The primary example to this day is Iran and Lebanese Hezbollah. Hezbollah, in the nomenclature of the discussion, would be the surrogate of Iran."

So to sum up, I think the evidence is out there to hold Iran accountable for terrorism undertaken by proxy in its interests. I do find Iran an interesting nation with a long fascinating history, but that doesn't blind me to the reality of the harm it is capable of doing and is doing right now.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 05:40:35 PM by ER » Logged

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 09:50:04 AM »

none of those are against the continental united states.  terrorism is just how they do thigns in the middle east.  all of the countries are a part of it, even the "good" ones we bribe to pretend they like us
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 01:38:55 PM »

So...since Germany gassed people, it was all right then for every nation in Europe to gas people, cuz "that's just how they do things there"? Since Germany wasn't gassing people on American soil, Germany wasn't practicing genocide? Lester, Iran sponsors terrorism. Iran sponsors anti-American terrorism. Iran sponsors terrorism that has caused the deaths of Americans. I guess you're saying it's all right with you that Iran does this but it's not okay with me.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 10:34:30 AM »

I don't agree.  they don't sponser what I would consider terrorism.  hezbollah and hamas are part ofd the elcted bodies of their respective countries. 

saudi arabia,  whom we are in bed with,  absolutely support al queda who have and do seek to destroy us.  our enemeis and Irans enemeies are the more or less the same, sunni extremists. 

at any rate,  the hype abuot irans nuclear program is disingenius as is obvious when you note they've been "months away"   perpetually since 2004.

so my point one, it would appear based on the evidence that they are NOT months away from a nuclear bomb and even if they were it isn't very important to any of us unless we work in think tanks as the idea that they would launch a nuke against the continental US is ludicrous.  they'd be vaporized
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 10:50:00 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Captain Tars Tarkas
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 11:31:36 AM »

Hey, remember how Iraq was always months away from a nuclear bomb?  Then we invaded and their stuff had been buried in the desert since 1990?  These are the same guys clamoring to bomb Iran. 

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 12:39:42 PM »

I sure as heck am not clamoring for more war, and I'm not convinced invading or bombing Iran would achieve the solution some think it would, but to argue that because intelligence was wrong about Iraq's capability to produce nuclear weapons we should disregard current reports of other nations being close to doing so is illogical. You know, actually, I hope those who say Iran isn't close to getting nukes are right, I just wouldn't sit back and base foreign policy on their optimism. It's only a matter of time till Iran and many other US-hating nations who export terrorism produce nuclear weapons.

ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 08:41:17 PM »

at any rate,  the hype abuot irans nuclear program is disingenius as is obvious when you note they've been "months away"   perpetually since 2004.

Keep in mind that just because they haven't completed the last few months worth of work needed to build a bomb across the last 4 years, does not mean they aren't at that point. It would be stupid for them to finish a bomb now, because they know they couldn't keep it's completion a secret.

Personally, I don't doubt they are within months, they just don't have an interest in having one. Seem like it brings more problems than it solves. At the rate our economy is declining and our military is tiring, beating the US is more of a waiting game than anything as I see it.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 10:08:38 AM »

ghouck-  bin laden said something to that effect a while back.  he was like, I can just paint al queda on a piece of paper and send it to some part of the world and the US will spend billions trying to find out what' I'm doing.  that's the new 9-11 playing on our paranoia
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 11:30:11 AM »

So be it, , but you missed the point. Your point that they haven't moved from "months to go" in several years does NOT mean they aren't at that point. That's all I was saying, relax a little, OK.   Smile

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 11:39:46 AM »

?  I am relaxed.    but your point is silly.  these articles aren't  stating that iran is within range of creating a nuclear weapon and only need to complete the final step and thus are perpetually "months away from a nucelar weapon"

they are  saying that iran is   on it's way to making a nuke and if not stopped will have one in a few months.

it's logically imopssible to be "months away" from making a nuclear bomb for more than couple of months.

it's like saying that because my new house is closer to a lake than my last house that my next home will logically be in the lake.

If I am "moving closer to the lake" it doens't mean I'm eventually going to be in the lake, the articles are saying iran is in the last stages of becoming a nuclear power and are moving towards that goal at a alarming rate

« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 11:42:04 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Iran is NOT months away from a nuclear weapon « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.