Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:37:11 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Iran is NOT months away from a nuclear weapon « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Iran is NOT months away from a nuclear weapon  (Read 12621 times)
ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 11:49:29 AM »

it's logically imopssible to be "months away" from making a nuclear bomb for more than couple of months.

I have a 1000 piece puzzle sitting on my table. It's finished, except for about a dozen pieces. It's been sitting there for four years. Now, with a straight face, tell me there's more than five minutes worth of work left on that puzzle.

it's like saying that because my new house is closer to a lake than my last house that my next home will logically be in the lake.
No, it's not. It's nothing like that. I don't know how you can compare the two.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 11:53:31 AM by ghouck » Logged

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2008, 12:51:48 PM »

I've enjoyed this topic and it's been a blast---haha---reading over input from all sides. (Which definitely includes you, lester, even if I don't totally agree with you. Thanks for starting it up.  Smile)

My quasi-official final thought on this matter is that however close Iran is to getting nuclear weapons, my worry is not that on day one (or day 1000) after getting them Iran is going to launch a strike against the United States or even Israel, a more realistic horror scenario is some disgruntled fanatic maybe years down the road managing to get bomb making materials, especially dirty bomb materials, into the hands of an organization that will gladly use them. A nation like Iran can be expected to have at least some constraints based on self-preservation if nothing else, but how can you restrain or bargain with a terrorist cell of fanatics who want nothing more than their own martyrdom, preferably obtained while assaulting Americans?

That's the innermost danger of Iran having nuclear technology. That's what will keep so many people up at night should Iran reach that point, as I do think it soon will.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2008, 03:20:42 PM »

ER-  meanwhile,   the only one to ever launch a chemical WMD attack on us was someone from our own government, the anthrax letter guy.  whatever.  if we want peopel to stop trying to bomb us we shuold stop invading and occupying their countries.  they come over her ebecause we're over there.

ghouck- I feel the point of the articles is to make the reader want to support bombing iran.   I don't see how this would make us any safer.  it would create more anger against us.  yes it wuold solve one problem, iran would not be a nuclear threat, but 9-11 wasn't a nuclear attack.  there are a thuosand of ways they can terrorize us without nuclear weapons. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 03:26:45 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2008, 04:27:43 PM »

ghouck- I feel the point of the articles is to make the reader want to support bombing iran.   I don't see how this would make us any safer.  it would create more anger against us.  yes it wuold solve one problem, iran would not be a nuclear threat, but 9-11 wasn't a nuclear attack.  there are a thuosand of ways they can terrorize us without nuclear weapons. 

At what point did I argue any of that?

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 05:18:17 PM »

Hey, just one question for the road, please, lester.

"if we want peopel to stop trying to bomb us we shuold stop invading and occupying their countries.  they come over her ebecause we're over there."

Can you show me one period in history in which humans lived in amity, mutual tolerant respect and peace, making your statement  true?

Thanks in advance, bud.  Smile

« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 05:58:33 PM by ER » Logged

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2008, 09:57:22 AM »

ghouck-  you and I have such a different wayu of debating it's almost ipossible for us to communicate.  isn't that interesting?

ER-  well,  that's my point.  we're never going to be free from the fear of annihilation, so we should not spend all of our time and money in trying to look over our shoulder all the time
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2008, 11:19:34 AM »

ghouck-  you and I have such a different wayu of debating

Thank You.

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2008, 12:13:47 PM »

We....are never going to be out of danger of annihilation...so we should...not not look out for ourselves? Assuming what you wrote wasn't a typo, then, shrug, you're entitled to your opinion. I guess your opinion of humankind's peaceful nature is higher than mine. Still, thanks for the reply to my question.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2008, 07:09:40 PM »

well,  all right let me clarify.  how do we actually look out for ourselves:  we are a nation that has a constant flow of immigrants, some legal some not from around the world.  we have tourism.  we have two huge and for the most part unprotected borders.   

So,  I'd say America as a nation, if I weere looking at it from another country as a consultant,  is pretty much undefendable from terrorism.

not all countries are.  you take israel.  they are small.  they have an apparatus to keep an eye on pretty much the entire border.  the only citizens there, outside of th ffew remaining arabs,  are all jewish and all have the same culture and so forth. 

this doesn't mean they are free from terror threats, I mean that's obvious.  but they are better able to defend themselves from it and thus can take more forward positions towards their enemies if they want.

So  look at our situation relative to theirs.  should we really be p**sing off terorrists?

ceertainly we have to have SOME security measures and even defnse measures,  but I don't like the ideea of relying on our government to protect us, nor do we have the money  to start all these wars!!
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2008, 10:39:55 PM »

So  look at our situation relative to theirs.  should we really be p**sing off terorrists?

I feel they've made it perfectly clear that our mere existence p!$$e$ them off. Should we all just commit suicide to please them?

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2008, 10:23:13 AM »

"I feel they've made it perfectly clear that our mere existence p!$$e$ them off"

read the 9/11 report or any of michael scheur's books, he was the head of the CIA's bin laden unit.  read osama bin ladens ridiculous messages themselves.  they hate our foreign plicy not our "way of life". 

noam chomsky put it best they dn't hate us because they reject our principles but because they agree with them!  am i the only one who saw "red dawn" and cheered?

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2008, 10:46:06 AM »

I disagree. They hate our way of life as well as our foreign policies. They hate us, ourselves. They hate the fact we are not like them. They hate the fact that they cannot make us be as they are, or control us. They are ruled by hate, and hate takes people over and unbalances them. As for bin Laden's messages, which you're right, are ridiculous, in my opinion when bin Laden masterminded the murders of 3,500 civilians on September 11th his opinions as to America's supposed mistakes ceased to matter. I take that back. Long before then, after his first murders, he lost his right to criticize anyone.

Do you think, though, lester---and I'm asking sincerely, here---that if America changed in the ways you suggest it should, that we'd really have peace? Or that those who hate the US and the west would stop hating us?

I don't think hate works that way. Hate is as all-possessing as love, every bit as illogical, and maybe just as strong. I don't think it can be shut off that easily. The hate radical Islamists have for us is out of control.

Even if at times America's foreign policy has been imperfect and has resulted in giving those who hate us legitimate complaints, we still have to defend ourselves. Would it truly atone for anything to allow more Americans to be killed by terrorists? I don't think it would. And while we hopefully try to peacefully better our standing in the world, let's keep our guard up. Don't you think that's wise?

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2008, 11:12:58 AM »

Do you think, though, lester---and I'm asking sincerely, here---that if America changed in the ways you suggest it should, that we'd really have peace? Or that those who hate the US and the west would stop hating us?

look, here's the problem:  it's not just terrorists who hate our foreign policy.  it's pretty much ALL muslims.

example:  the saudi people don't lke the saudi royal family.   the saudi army is garbage and can't defend itself because if they put together an army the size they would need it would turn and kill all the royal family most likely.

we support the saudi royal family,  for our own reasons.  so we are supporting a dictatorship that is despied by it's people.  same in egypt.

not surprisingly, most of the 9/11 hijackers came from these two countries. 

so no,  people like bin laden will never like the united states ofr  number of reasons.  but as i think mao said, the insurgnecy swims in the body of the people or something.

more to the point,  our foreign plicy isn't making us safer.  we haven't had any attacks since 9/11 but that' s mosyt liekly because all the jihadists are headed to iraq or afghanistan.  those wars have to end someday.  and no matter how many terrorist we kill they'll make more.  in syria the govenment has something called a "family medal"  that's given to you if you have 12 kids or something. 

so terrorism and potential terrorists can't be squashed like cockroaches.  and they don't "respond to force"  we've given them force since 9/1 and there is no abating the number of terrorists ready to come and die. 

you can't win a p**sing contest with a skunk right?  how many more cliches can I use here?
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2008, 12:40:24 PM »

So is that a no or a yes. I see your point about us having different debating methods: I can count at least 4 places where you won't answer a question presented to you. You're sounding more like a politician with every post. You said it yourself, "Your enemy is the Government". It shows. .

By the way, you think maybe the reason Muslims hate our foreign policy might have something to do with their religion expressing that non-Muslims be eradicated? Think maybe you're playing right into their hands by believing their hate is based on our foreign policy? Oh wait, you already avoided that question once, please disregard. 

more to the point,  our foreign plicy isn't making us safer.  we haven't had any attacks since 9/11 but that' s mosyt liekly because

Most likely? Have you ever heard the term "weasel wording"?

read the 9/11 report or any of michael scheur's books, he was the head of the CIA's bin laden unit.  read osama bin ladens ridiculous messages themselves.  they hate our foreign plicy not our "way of life".

No, it's our way of life. All the things their younger people want, that we have and they don't, is what they hate about us.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 12:43:42 PM by ghouck » Logged

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2008, 12:49:40 PM »

No, it's our way of life. All the things their younger people want, that we have and they don't, is what they hate about us

so you dont need to read what the 9/11 commision wrote or  what the people who study bin laden wrote. 

you have no actual information but you can draw the correct conclusion from "your own ass" as they say.

Think maybe you're playing right into their hands by believing their hate is based on our foreign policy?

I 'm pretty sure when we sanctioned Iraq and the people , rather than the dictator,  suffered,  that a normal person would dislike rather than like that.  If I were unable to get medical supplies and saddam hussein was i would not see this as a good policy for me personally. 

thus, it's isn't hard for me to imagine that it is our foreign policy not, say, our right to a speedy trial or other elements of our "way of life"  that muslims hate. 

have you ever talked to any muslims about these issues?  check out www.shiachat.com or other discussion boards.  don't listen to me or any "experts"  see for yourself.    thoseare the people we are talking about, they aren't abstractions

« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 12:52:59 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Iran is NOT months away from a nuclear weapon « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.