Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:46:44 AM
714235 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  My First Annual Pro-Christmas Season Rant « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: My First Annual Pro-Christmas Season Rant  (Read 2860 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« on: November 21, 2008, 01:09:26 PM »

First of all, Christmas season should not start till after Thanksgiving. Yes, I know my taking on the topic before Thanksgiving is intruding on my own statement made to the left of this sentence, but, hey, I’m a nihilist at heart.

Secondly, if you celebrate Kwanzaa, Chanukah, Yule, or anything else in December, congrats to you, that's great, and furthermore, Happy Kwanzaa, Joyous Chanukah, and an Appropriate Yule. Enjoy yourself, have a good time, be with your family, make memories, that's what the season is all about. I love holidays and am all in favor of everyone having the festive experience they choose to have.

But I’ll tellyawhat, I celebrate Christmas, as do I bet 90%-plus Americans, and I for one am tired of people being in denial about the fact that we have a Christmas season, that it's not the sale of toys and merchandize during Kwanzaa or Yule or Chanukah that keep so many retailers going and stimulate the economy (or not) every year, it's Christmas. I am tired of Santa appearing on a “Holiday” card when it’s so obviously a Christmas card! Has Santa ever appeared on a Chanukah card? No! That’s Chanukah Harry’s job. So what's wrong with calling it a Christmas card? Do you hang stocking up for Kwanzaa? No, for Christmas, so attention Hallmark, why not call them ChRisTmaS stockings instead of holiday stockings? Is Christmas a dirty word all of a sudden?

Why in recent years the word "Christmas" has so mendaciously vanished from the landscape irks me and defies honesty and common sense. Not only that but it's become looked down on to wish someone "Merry Christmas." Why? One of my closest friends, Edie Kavner, is Jewish. Judaism is for the most part a great religion, I’ve always gotten along well with Jewish people and often gravitated toward them. I once almost rode off into the sunset with a half-Jewish (albeit non-practicing) man, and neither he nor Edie nor any Jewish person I’ve known has ever hesitated to wish me or anyone who celebrates Christmas a Merry Christmas. Nor have I ever felt I was slighting Christmas by telling them “Happy Chanukah.” (And frankly a lot of Jews I know observe Christmas, a very secular sort of holiday anymore.)

So why, you know, why is it Christmas is a word that dare not speak its name? Sell Chanukah merchandise, or Kwanzaa craft sets, or for all I know December 25th Observation Day T-shirts if there’s a consumer demand, that’s beautiful, it’s capitalism in action, but come ON, retailers, call Christmas stuff Christmas stuff. And if you know someone celebrates Christmas, say “Merry Christmas” in person or with a CHRISTMAS card, instead of some washed out timidly neo-modern “Holiday” message. OK?

Huh? Why, yes, I did forget to take my meds today, L. Thanks for bringing them. Ah, nourishing tranquilizers! Now what was I typing? I forget. Hitting post now.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 03:11:42 PM »

Merry Christmas to you too.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 08:22:56 PM »

There's some truthiness in what you say

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 11:00:25 PM »

Well said, ER!!

I will wish you Merry Christmas after next Thursday.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 01:47:59 PM »

My school currently puts up "festive pines" near the doors, that's right FESTIVE F&*#ING PINES!!!  I couldn't agree with you more, Merry Christmas.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
BTM

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 04:25:32 PM »

Once again Foamy sums it up pretty well...

Small | Large

I once almost rode off into the sunset with a half-Jewish (albeit non-practicing) man,

Wait, are you female?  Or gay?  I mean, gay's cool... but we don't have too many females around here, so I like to keep track of them.  :)

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 05:24:58 PM »

LOL The non-gay option.

schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 11:05:33 AM »

So why, you know, why is it Christmas is a word that dare not speak its name? Sell Chanukah merchandise, or Kwanzaa craft sets, or for all I know December 25th Observation Day T-shirts if there’s a consumer demand, that’s beautiful, it’s capitalism in action, but come ON, retailers, call Christmas stuff Christmas stuff. And if you know someone celebrates Christmas, say “Merry Christmas” in person or with a CHRISTMAS card,

Dunno. But of course I've never run into any mention of this phenomenon outside of Bill O'Reilly's annual rant. Doesn't seem to be an issue among anyone I've ever met in the reality-based community, where for instance a frequent topic of conversation about now is "how is your Christmas shopping going?"

instead of some washed out timidly neo-modern “Holiday” message. OK?

Sure. And all personal cards I send or receive are actually Christmas cards. The "Holiday" thing tends to come as anonymous cards from businesses who are not sending to a strictly Christian customer base. Like Fox for instance.

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2007/12/happy_holidays_from_the_fox_bu.html

Lest you be tempted to think that Bill-O was the first culture warrior to step up to the plate to defend you from evil Holiday cards, or that everything was nice and Christian till the damned hippies got involved, perhaps you should read some history. The first culture warrior on your ramparts appears to have been Henry Ford early in the 20th century. The John Birch Society took up the call in the idyllic 1950s.

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2005/12/26/051226ta_talk_hertzberg

By the way, an amusing side note in O'Reilly's rant is that during the time he launched the first one, the Fox merchandise division was offering "holiday" decorations and "holiday" gifts. Needless to say, they did some fast editing of the online catalog, but not before some people got screen captures. And caught some other evil Holiday references.

http://www.newshounds.us/2004/12/24/happy_holidays_from_the_fox_news_channel.php

But Fox still uses that language.
http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2008Nov12/0,4670,HolidayMailTroops,00.html
http://gawker.com/news/news-corp./news-corp-holiday-party-invites-bill-oreillys-christian-rage-213694.php

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 12:05:41 PM »

For the record I've probably seen Bill O'Reilly's show maybe a total of twice in my life. Nice to hear he's on the right side of an issue for once, though. It's a shame when people are so scared of appearing non-multicultural that they deny they're celebrating Christmas, when they are.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  My First Annual Pro-Christmas Season Rant « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.