Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:11:34 PM
713370 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  US Kills Maupin’s Kidnapper « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US Kills Maupin’s Kidnapper  (Read 4562 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« on: November 21, 2008, 05:50:07 PM »

I don't know how many of you followed the story of a young US soldier named Matt Maupin, who was for much of the Iraq War the single US service member listed as Missing in Action, and whose remains were discovered last March. Twenty-year-old Maupin's family and large sections of the community in and around his hometown kept a four-year vigil going in the hope of his safe return and as a sign that neither he nor MIA's from other wars were forgotten. This vigil was kept despite video footage from Iraq that claimed to show Maupin's killing at the hands of his captors.

Well, yesterday Maupin's father received word that Abd-al-Salam Ahmad Abdallah al-Janabi, the Iraqi military figure almost certainly responsible for Maupin's on-camera murder (because it was a murder as defined by the Geneva Convention) along with many other attacks on US forces was killed in Baghdad by American troops on November 11, 2008, Veterans' Day. Maupin's family has said this goes a long way toward bringing closure to them.

Anyone interested can see the full story here:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20081121/NEWS01/811210371/-1/TODAY
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 05:51:46 PM by ER » Logged

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 10:36:18 PM »

it's sad, that kind of mentality, the family knowing that his killer had been killed brings 'closure'...Id probably feel the same but a life for a life doesn't sound like a blueprint for peace IMO...two wrongs don't make a right. why do we even have wars in the first place. I'm not standing on a soapbox here I'd probably feel the same as them but its somehow not right...meh...

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 10:54:25 PM »

Sounds like a balanced and symmetrical act of justice to me. 

RIP Corporal Maupin.

Roast in hell, al-Janabi.

DCA, the problem with your attitude is that it would let the truly evil men who infest so much of this world go on killing with impunity.  No one wants to soak their hands in blood, but as we say down here in Texas -

sometimes, "He needed killin'!" is a valid defense.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 11:21:47 PM »

hmm...fair point indiana, but  I gather you're a christian right...

what do you say to this:

"Let the one who does what is evil continue to do evil, and let the filthy person continue to be filthy, and the righteous person continue to do what is right, and the holy person continue to be holy" - Revelations 22:11

not trying to discredit your opinion but that seems to contradict wht you're saying.

(I don't consider myself a christian, btw)

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 11:38:51 PM »

I would answer you with Romans 13:

"But if you do what is evil, be very afraid, for it (the government) does not bear the sword for nothing; it is God's instrument for the punishment of evildoers . . ."

While believers are personally called on to be forgiving and tolerant, one of the Biblical roles of government is the enforcement of justice in a fallen world.

That being said, I am far too vindictive for my own good.  The absolute evil of Islamic fundamentalism repulses me at a very personal level, and I tend to overreact to it.  Good topic, good discussion, though.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 11:41:04 PM »

The difference is Matt Maupin was tied up and shot in the back of the head during a time when his status was that of a prisoner, whereas his killer was slain during combat operations. Most wartime combat deaths are not murders, Maupin's was, and so whatever closure his family might've received from this particular man's death, the two killings are not comparable.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 12:09:00 AM »

I would answer you with Romans 13:

"But if you do what is evil, be very afraid, for it (the government) does not bear the sword for nothing; it is God's instrument for the punishment of evildoers . . ."

While believers are personally called on to be forgiving and tolerant, one of the Biblical roles of government is the enforcement of justice in a fallen world.

That being said, I am far too vindictive for my own good.  The absolute evil of Islamic fundamentalism repulses me at a very personal level, and I tend to overreact to it.  Good topic, good discussion, though.

sure, good quote there - I haven't read the whole bible, some of it is very 'open to interpretation' - ahem -, don't get me wrong I wasn't trying to pull you up on anything... it's interesting how some phrases seem to go against others, like that one...

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 06:29:59 PM »

I don't know that I would consider that "going against" your quote.  Basically, the general gist of all those passages is this:

Believers should not seek personal vengeance for wrongs suffered.  God's justice will ultimately prevail, and in this fallen world, the government is the instrument (or one of them) through which that justice is performed.  So we pray for our enemies, and trust God that justice will be done - in this life or the next.  And sometimes in both.

No hard feelings, I enjoy fielding these kinds of questions.

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 06:45:26 PM »

yeah Im not going to be a vey good debater here, but when you say the government is the 'instrument' for the justice that is dealt to the evil doers, what's the difference between that and, say, a lone individual being the 'instrument', if the end resut is the same? (i.e. that the percieved 'evil doer' is brought to justice).

why does a government have more authority to dispose of an evil doer than one individual acting alone, if the end result is the same?

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 09:33:26 PM »

Because government is ordained by God (or elected by the people, if you don't believe in God) to speak and act on behalf of ALL the people.  The most fundamental role of government, from the very earliest of times, has been to protect the lives and property of its citizens.

One person may achieve the same results, but one person may also be a paranoid nutjob that destroys the innocent over some perceived injustice.  In theory, at least, government has some kind of check or balance to restrain its behavior and make sure that its justice-related functions are practiced against the truly guilty.

ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 10:13:39 PM »

Even if all the religious viewpoints are thrown aside, it just simply comes down to the fact that some people shouldn't be allowed to live, and they show this in their OWN actions. People keep saying things like "a life for a life doesn't sound like a blueprint for peace", but that's a straw-man argument at best IMO. In many of these cases, it's one life spent saving many (who can honestly say the world wouldn't have been a better place had Hitler been killed a half a dozen or so years before his eventual death?). When a person acts in contempt of humanity, that person's life is not as valuable as the person or people around them that will be spared by the elimination of that person. I don't even feel it comes down to life vs life: As far as I'm concerned, rape is a potentially lifelong torture of a person, and should carry a punishment equal to or even worse than death, but death is quick and cheap enough for me, so I'm willing to compromise. I understand it when a person kills for defense of themselves or others. I understand when people kill because of war. I understand many reasons for killing a person, , but when one kills out of hatred, self-gratification, pleasure, greed, to instill fear, or any of the countless other reasons to kill or torture that are based on evil intent, that person IMO is subject to being killed themselves in someone's defense.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 10:34:37 PM by ghouck » Logged

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  US Kills Maupin’s Kidnapper « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.