Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:01:39 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  browsing w/o virus protection...? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: browsing w/o virus protection...?  (Read 6127 times)
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« on: November 21, 2008, 09:33:00 PM »

:edit: need to re-phrase that...

Question: if your subscription runs out, anyone know what is the likelyhood of becoming infected with something if you literally just stick to the 5 or 6 regular sites you might regularly visit... i.e. amazon, this place, youtube, maybe couple of other msgboards. safe or unsafe? - obviously wouldn't download anything or look at any unfamiliar pages/sites...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 09:56:12 PM by DCA » Logged

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 10:00:19 PM »

You should be ok but the possibility of infection still exists.

Try AVG Free Edition.  I've been using it for a couple of years and my pc has never been infected.   Thumbup

http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10320142.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=10891365
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 10:16:14 PM »

You should be ok but the possibility of infection still exists.

Try AVG Free Edition.  I've been using it for a couple of years and my pc has never been infected.   Thumbup

http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10320142.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=10891365

thanks man. I might have to try that...

can't be any more useless than Kaspersky that Im paying for. the thing gives me a pop-up to tell me when it's blocked a pop-up   Hatred useless

Menard
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 10:57:21 PM »

Use Firefox or Green Browser for popups and a firewall for protection. You can get a firewall with anti-virus protection from Comodo, and it's free.

You can prevent spyware infections, which is the main concern, with SpywareBlaster.

You can do the same type of prevention, plus scan for spyware infections, with Spybot-S&D.

In addition to AVG that Ash posted, AntiVir is another free anti-virus that is updated regularly.

Two proactive tools for protection that use very little resources are ScripTrap and WinPatrol.

Both are free and WinPatrol is one of the best tools you can get for protection. It runs in the background and monitors for system changes (registry, start-up, program associations, etc.) that are common to viruses (virii?) and spyware and gives you the chance to stop it if you didn't authorize it.

ScripTrap is a tool that I will swear does not use a single resource. It simply sits dormant until a script, in its extension list, tries to execute; if that happens, it will give you the option to approve or deny the execution.

One of the best resources for freeware, especially anti virus and spyware programs, is Major Geeks. They have ratings, keep them updated, and being that they are the file host for many of these programs, they will have the latest updates before others; who usually just link to them.

Hope you find something.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 11:09:17 PM »

excellent, thanks Thumbup

ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 12:11:31 AM »

You should be ok here, as long as you don't reply to any of Menard's posts. Half the board has gotten some form of VVD (Virtual Venereal Disease) from him at one time or another. He's a regular "Typhoid Menard".

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 12:12:49 AM »

Yeah, Menard is giving good advice again, no doubt trying to distract us from some back door deviltry  TongueOut.

I use Opera web browser and Avast antivirus, both free, and I have never had any problems with computer viruses. Avast is regularly rated right up there with the big boys Norton and MacAfee, and they update their definition files 1-3 times a day. As for your question, the program will continue to block the viruses it knows about, but any new ones that may come through e-mail or through an infected website (or ad on a website) can still get through and won't be noticed by the software. Since there are plenty of free options, it would make sense to look for a new program.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Menard
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 12:16:03 AM »

You should be ok here, as long as you don't reply to any of Menard's posts. Half the board has gotten some form of VVD (Virtual Venereal Disease) from him at one time or another. He's a regular "Typhoid Menard".

Yeah, Menard is giving good advice again, no doubt trying to distract us from some back door deviltry  TongueOut.

BounceGiggle
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 08:14:47 AM »

I've used AVG free edition for years and haven't had any problems with viruses - yet  TeddyR  Nice program, updates itself daily with new definitions.  I used to have several anti-spyware anti-mallware programs, but finally uninstalled them because their constant checking for updates slowed my computer down more than the mallware and spyware they were protecting me from.  AVG checks for that stuff when you do a full scan.  I don't know if it does an excellent job, or just a fair job, but I haven't had any problem with my computer running slow, so that's good enough for me.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 12:09:27 PM »

I've been using Trend Micro's "Internet Security" and am VERY happy with it. It's virus protection, spyware protection, firewall, and a few other things all together. I got a license for three computers for three years for $80 or so.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 02:47:03 PM »

I use AVG on my laptop and have no complaints.  I have to click out of their ad once per day, no big deal.   Spybot Search & Detsroy is also a must have.     

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  browsing w/o virus protection...? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.