Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:21:30 AM
713382 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  TWILIGHT « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TWILIGHT  (Read 3974 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: November 21, 2008, 11:31:34 PM »

So why is a 44 year old married man sitting in a crowded theater on a Friday night with at least 200 13 to 18 year old girls watching this largely bloodless, entirely sexless emo vampire romance?

Well, the short answer is because I have twin teenage daughters, one of whom has been obsessed with this book series for about a year now.  Supplemental reasons include the fact that I have read most of the first book myself and found it surprisingly entertaining for a teen romance.

So how was it?  Not that bad, honestly.  It helped to be familiar with the book and its characters, but even if you never saw the book, it was still pretty entertaining.  Yes, it dragged a bit  (I heard one older woman mutter "Get ON with it!" as Edward and Bella finally got around to their first kiss). And yes, it was heavily tilted to the female teenage demographic.  But the performances are solid, there is some action and a little blood, and Stephanie Meyers has put a very interesting spin on the whole vampire mythology.

Yes, the movie is pretty clean.  No nudity, no sex, no graphic violence (some implied but not shown).  But, you know, if  that's the kind of thing you watch movies for, there are plenty of places to get it.  It is kind of nice to have a vampire movie you can take your kids to.  And particularly since one of my daughters has had a lot of medical problems over the last year or so, it was nice to see her just really, really enjoy herself and forget her chronic pain for two hours.

If you go into this one with the right kind of expectations, you won't be disappointed.  On the other hand, if you want blood, action, and boobs, go rent THE LOST BOYS: THE TRIBE.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Patient7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 01:09:38 PM »

On the other hand, if you want blood, action, and boobs, go rent THE LOST BOYS: THE TRIBE.

(writing on pad of paper) Lost...   Boys....  the tribe, GOT IT!  TeddyR

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 02:36:00 PM »

The wife was so anxious to see this she decided to take my son who luckily slept through the whole thing.  She said she liked it but it was kind of a let down from the books. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
the master
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 05:51:36 PM »

i hate it cause it the author doesn't even stick to defined rules of vampires. THERE VEGITARION VAMPIRES WHO SUCK ANIMAL BLOOD AND SPARKLE IN THE SUN! what the heck!
Javakoala
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 06:09:29 PM »

I fought the urge to send the book across the room on numerous occasions.  You want to redefine vampires?  Sure.  You want to drag the story out for no good reason?  Hey, that's your creativity speaking.  Having teenage girls wet their Underoos over what amounts to an abusive stalker boyfriend?  WTF? 

But, hey, if it keeps kids reading, and off the streets for two hours, bring it on.  Just don't hail it as classic literature.
akiratubo

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 07:04:22 PM »

As I said in the other Twilight, thread, my 13 year old cousins made me read the first book.  I didn't get very far, but I gathered it was about a girl with no personality and a vampire with no personality who fall in love for, well, no good reason.

I won't be seeing this one.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Delia
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 09:40:25 AM »

I was HIGHLY upset with this movie.

I thought the books were pretty good, but the movie was absolutly HORRIBLE!

It was full of terrible acting. The characters showed no emotion. And the emotion they actually did show (which was little) was terrible. For example when Bella first went into the Biology room, having Edward sitting next to her, it looked like wanted to blow chunks. He acted like she smelled bad. Which is not the case in the book. like i said....horrible acting.

And the scene where Edward had Bella on her back jumping from tree to tree was crap. I laughed in the theater at the bad effects. It looked totally dumb and fake.
Even the scene in the ballet studio between James and Edward.
It wasnt as good as it was in the book.

Thruout the movie, Edward acted stupid, emotionless, and downright weird.

Bella and Edward fell in love wayyyyy tooooo fast.
Give us some more of a plot.

The movie just p**sed me off.

But even though it sucked, i will be in line for New Moon, to see if they trashed it as well  
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 10:48:05 AM »

Having teenage girls wet their Underoos over what amounts to an abusive stalker boyfriend?  WTF? 

- which is precisely why I am ever-so-grateful that my 14 y.o. avid-reader daughter has no interest in this series whatsoever!

It may be a 'phenomenon' in terms of popularity, but we'll give it a miss.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
skully13
Dedicated Viewer

"Cujo, where are ya boy?"

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 05:19:35 PM »

I agree with those that believe the book was superior to the movie, but I must admit even I was disappointed with the outcome of the movie. It was memorable at times but easily forgettable at others. Honestly, this film is in need of some work...I mean Meyer wrote that vampires were supposed to sparkle like a diamond in the sun not like an accidental brush with glitter. However disappointed this film made me, I will still be going to see the other films that are expected to follow. Twirling

"Oh,there will be blood."
akiratubo

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 09:17:09 PM »

Having been semi-forced to watch Twilight now, I must say I was very disappointed.  I expected a complete disaster but it was merely mediocre.  It honestly wasn't good or bad enough to get worked up over.  The only thing was the guy playing, uh, Edward?  Is that his name?  Anyway, he played the character as if he hated him and that was good for a few smiles.  Otherwise, a forgettable movie.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  TWILIGHT « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.