Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:29:15 AM
714230 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Vatican 'forgives' John Lennon « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Vatican 'forgives' John Lennon  (Read 4574 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« on: November 22, 2008, 05:40:03 PM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7744282.stm

What arrogance on the Vatican's part for forgiving a man for basically speaking a momentary truth.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
the master
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 10:48:49 PM »

i think they where a few years to late
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 11:57:24 PM »

What arrogance on the Vatican's part for forgiving a man for basically speaking a momentary truth.

My thought exactly.  An apology may have been more appropriate.    Along the lines of the one the Anglicans kinda-sorta gave Darwin.

None too sharp on the timing either are they?  But then, maybe forgiving dead guys is where it is at in their business.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 12:23:47 AM by Newt » Logged

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 12:32:31 AM »

Geez, I hate when somebody slaps a misleading headline on something to make it more sensational than it is. According to the story, the Vatican did nothing of the sort. The Vatican newspaper ran a piece commemorating the 40th anniversary of the White Album and whoever wrote it expressed the opinion that Lennon's comment was no big deal.

It was a non-story about another paper running a fluff entertainment piece. If I had to guess what happened, after the writer filed his perfectly accurate copy (describing what he read in another publication), some editor fixated on this insignificant detail and decided it was most newsworthy. Interpreting it as broadly as possible, this jackass stuck on a headline that was not exactly false, but clearly aimed at grabbing attention at the expense of accuracy. And for that, the Vatican gets a bunch of undeserved criticism.

One of the reasons I'm glad to be out of the news business again. I worked the last two years at a paper that operated like that. Makes me sick.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 06:58:43 AM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 01:34:34 AM »

In South Africa at that time, the reaction to John Lennon's quip was quite unexpected as the local radio stations then banned The Beatles' music from airplay and the censor board attempted (but failed) to have their music banned altogether.

About a year or so later, the SA DJ David Gresham had an interview with John Lennon in which he explained what he said and why. The SA Broadcasting Corporation refused to play the interview.

Wonderful thing, freedom of words and freedom of the press.  Question

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 09:58:17 AM »

You might very well be right about this, Andy, and I'm 100% sure you're correct about how the media distorts truth and bends statements for headlines, but you know how in some reality show like The Real World, they broadcast someone saying something rotten about a roommate, and then at the reunion show the person they quoted bemoans how his or her words were taken out of context, and the host then points out that, "Yeah, but you did say that..."?

Whether the Lennon remark was the main thrust of what the Vatican said or not (and I believe you about it not being the focus of the Vatican's statement, I'm sure it wasn't) this apparently was still said about Lennon by someone there, and I still think it shows arrogance on the Vatican's part to "forgive" someone for using freedom of expression and opinion in modern society.

Actually I don't wanna kvetch at the Pope and company too much because I think the Vatican has recently come a long way, admitting Galileo was right about the earth's position relative the sun, and in stating that Jews alive today aren't guilty of killing Jesus. Baby steps before big ones.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 12:36:02 PM by ER » Logged

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 02:57:33 PM »

That's just the point. It wasn't a statement by the Vatican. It was an entertainment story in their internal newspaper. Read the BBC story. It says nothing about a statement by the Vatican or about anyone being forgiven.

For that matter, I don't recall the Vatican officially condemning Lennon's remarks in the first place. Most of the outrage at the time was amongst American Bible Belters.

I'm not taking any particular side, except the side of responsible journalism. As far as I'm concerned, it was idiotic of Lennon to say what he said, and just as idiotic for some people to react to it as they did, but I don't really care either way. Celebrities and Bible thumpers have said and done stupider things since. What does burn my ass is people who make news out of nothing. I spent a lot of years fighting against that.

---------------------
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 12:02:57 PM »

I heard that the Vatican didn't admit the Earth was in orbit around the sun untill 1992. In a few more centeries they might admit gravity. Typing this while floating is quite tricky.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 09:15:50 PM »

Again, not wanting to look like I'm rushing to the Catholics' defence, I don't believe it was a matter of finally admitting a scientific fact they'd denied up to that point. More a case of tying up loose ends.

It's like those crazy laws a lot of places still have on the books - no longer relevant and no longer a reflection of what is considered correct. But rather than being corrected, they just kind of get overlooked.

In the case of the Vatican, they abused Renaissance scientists such as Galileo for theories that over the centuries were proven and widely accepted. It happens gradually enough that everybody originally involved is long dead and none of it seems terribly important. Ancient history. One day, somebody figures out that the church is taking criticism for something it did 500 years ago, and the Vatican clears it up by revising their official position on the matter.

In some ways, it's analogous to the former school bully who feels compelled to seek out his victims years later to apologize. It seems really weird, and it comes as a surprise to the former victims, but it's the right thing to do, and it hopefully relieves everyone of some old baggage.

Unfortunately, the Vatican gets criticized for taking so long when they do it.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't, I suppose.

---------------------
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Vatican 'forgives' John Lennon « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.