Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:51:12 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Who's a badass? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: Who's a badass?  (Read 32778 times)
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2008, 05:23:06 PM »

I actually like Broderick quite a lot (but not like that, Menard  TeddyR). He just has a gentleness about him that precludes the common perception of badassery.  To me, the true badass always has a cold, calculatingly tough demeanor. In actors, that (again, for me) should come across in more than one role; he or she should leave people wondering if that is the real him or her. Broderick almost always looks innocently mischievous, not tough. I could see myself being a bit nervous saying something less than nice about and then meeting someone like Bogart or Eastwood. Broderick? Not so much.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
the Rev. J. Darkside
Bad Movie Lover

"Life's a b***h, and she's back in heat."

« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2008, 05:54:19 PM »

I agree. Broderick is likable and I enjoy seeing him in films, but he doesn't inspire me to wet myself like Lee Van Cleef might.

I nominate Morris Day.

Bruce Campbell is a lover and a fighter. If you want to find him, follow the trail of dead men and pregnant women.
Doctor Menard
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2008, 06:08:36 PM »

I haven't seen Ladyhawke, but from your desciption it seems he ran from a fight and perfomed actions only a mental deficit would allow. I'd call that survivability from a hippie. Did he dispose of his pursuers after promising them "a war [they] won't believe?"

Do keep in mind that the wolf and hawk in the film are the day and night alter egos of two of the main characters so cursed as to keep them apart. Saving the wolf was saving Rutger Hauer's character, though as a wolf he has no consciousness of Mouse as a comrade, or of what he did to him as a wolf when he is in human form.

He evaded a detachment of soldiers, mostly, who were all bigger than him. He also faced down the trapper/bounty hunter, who was also much bigger than him.

They call him...Mouse...the badass. TeddyR
the Rev. J. Darkside
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2008, 07:19:20 PM »

Nothing weirder than layered allegory from a film I've never seen. Question BounceGiggle

What about Judd Nelson? Buggedout

Bruce Campbell is a lover and a fighter. If you want to find him, follow the trail of dead men and pregnant women.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2008, 07:31:16 PM »

What about Judd Nelson? Buggedout

Definitely wanted to be thought of as a badass...  but never made it.  Starting his career as the vulnerable, non-threatening "bad" kid in THE BREAKFAST CLUB killed any chance at badassery he might have had.  A true badass would rather be caught and tortured by the Viet Cong than discuss his feelings with Molly Ringwald.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
the Rev. J. Darkside
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2008, 07:35:30 PM »

I'd probably show my feelings with her... then kick ass outta the car! TeddyR

Maybe Nelson's an honorable mention...

Eyesore
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2008, 09:24:03 PM »

For a lot of us growing up in the '60s and '70s, the definition of badass is: Steve McQueen.

"Bullitt"
"The Getaway"
"On Any Sunday"
the Rev. J. Darkside
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2008, 09:36:01 PM »

Barry Newman, anyone? TeddyR

Doctor Menard
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2008, 10:01:20 PM »

For a lot of us growing up in the '60s and '70s, the definition of badass is: Steve McQueen.

"Bullitt"
"The Getaway"
"On Any Sunday"

The 60s and especially 70s were filled with badasses.

Bronson, Lee Marvin, Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, Terence Hill and Bud Spencer, Richard Roundtree, Fred Williamson, David Carradine, Cheri Caffaro, William Smith, Richard Lynch...

...and, of course, Pam Grier and Jeanne Bell...yum (now that's some baaad ass  Twirling).
Eyesore
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2008, 10:19:52 PM »

"Bullitt"
"The Getaway"
"On Any Sunday"

The 60s and especially 70s were filled with badasses.

Bronson, Lee Marvin, Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, Terence Hill and Bud Spencer, Richard Roundtree, Fred Williamson, David Carradine, Cheri Caffaro, William Smith, Richard Lynch...

...and, of course, Pam Grier and Jeanne Bell...yum (now that's some baaad ass  Twirling).

Absolutely! How could I forget Smith and Lynch?

Robert Shaw, Bruce Lee, De Niro, Yul Brynner, Robert Tessier....
Doctor Menard
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2008, 10:39:50 PM »

Going a slightly different direction here.

TV badasses

James Arness
Patrick Macnee
Fred Dryer
Patrick McGoohan
Gareth Hunt
Joanna Lumley
Diana Rigg
Honor Blackman
Claude Akins (well, TV and movie badass)

(interesting that I've listed most of the cast from the different incarnations of The Avengers)

How about Peter Cushing as a badass? How many times did he kick Dracula's ass or have a village up in arms over his latest creation?
the Rev. J. Darkside
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2008, 11:22:35 PM »

I can't believe I haven't mention Lee Marvin. How could I forget him? And Humphrey Bogart? The later had his name turned into an action expressing overbearing badassery.

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2008, 03:08:37 AM »

Michael Parks (The Hitman, 1991) ~ the most unrepentant, unlovable badass in any movie.

Richard Widmark (Murder On The Orient Express)

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
JJ80
Nutter Magnet
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2008, 01:16:44 PM »

A few more TV badasses might be:

- John Thaw in "The Sweeney";
- Sean Bean as "Sharpe"
- Martin Shaw and Lewis Collins in "The Professionals";
- Philip Glenister as Gene Hunt in "Life On Mars"
- Mark McManus as "Taggart".

There are few things more beautiful than a sporting montage with a soft-rock soundtrack
the Rev. J. Darkside
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2008, 06:58:19 PM »

Has anyone mentioned Marlon Brando yet? He was pretty badass in The Wild One. What about Paul Newman?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Who's a badass? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.