Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:06:59 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Wow, On Behalf Of Women, Thanks United Nations! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wow, On Behalf Of Women, Thanks United Nations!  (Read 3241 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« on: November 25, 2008, 10:09:58 AM »

The world must do more to end violence against women? Hey, good work, UN! I once had a jerk slam my head against a wall in college to "get your attention." Wonder if I could get the Security Council to go after him?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/7747601.stm

UN urges end to abuses of women

The United Nations secretary general has said the world must do more to combat the abuse of women and girls.

Ban Ki-moon spoke as organisations around the world marked the UN's International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women.

The UN says at least one in three women will be beaten, coerced into sex or otherwise abused in her lifetime.

It has called on leaders and people around the world to address what it said was a "global pandemic" of abuse.

Women between the ages of 15 and 44 are at greater risk from rape and domestic violence than from cancer, traffic accidents, war and malaria, says the UN.

It says violence against women has been reported in every international or non-international warzone and that half of all women murdered are killed by their current or former partner.

Mr Ban said such violations "undermine the development, peace and security of entire societies".

"We need to do more to enforce laws and counter impunity," said Mr Ban, who has his own campaign, UNiTE, to address the issue.

"We need to combat attitudes and behaviours that condone, tolerate, excuse or ignore violence committed against women."

Worldwide

Organisations around the world are using the UN day to comment on the situation facing women where they are based.

The UK-based development organisation Oxfam is launching a campaign in Kenya, where half of women have reported experiencing domestic violence.
Campaign director Carol Thiga told the BBC's Network Africa programme that the group hoped to reduce the social acceptability of violence against women.

Meanwhile, the Cambodian government has warned of an increasing risk of rape and sexual assault against girls and women in the country.

It says that around a quarter of the female population faces domestic violence and that long-held prejudices, combined with new forms of anti-social behaviour such as drug and alcohol abuse, have put young women and girls at particular risk.

In Iraq, women have seen their rights eroded "in all areas of life," according to the UN's special rapporteur on violence against women, Yakin Erturk.

She said the "ongoing conflict, high levels of insecurity, widespread impunity, collapsing economic conditions and rising social conservatism are impacting directly on the daily lives of Iraqi women and placing them under increased vulnerability to all forms of violence within and outside their home".

Ms Erturk said she was also concerned about the rise of so-called "honour killings" of women by family members and the number of women apparently committing suicide to escape abuse.

'Universal truth'

The UN says that the cost of violence against women is "extremely high".

That includes both the direct cost of providing services to abused women and the impact on the economy in lost productivity and in "human pain and suffering".

The UN commended efforts made in some countries to address the issue but says more investment and greater leadership and political will are still needed.

"There is no blanket approach to fighting violence against women," said Mr Ban.

"What works in one country may not lead to desired results in another. Each nation must devise its own strategy."

But he said there was "one universal truth applicable to all countries, cultures and communities; violence against women is never acceptable, never excusable, never tolerable".

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 08:41:46 PM »

I don't disagree with their conclusions (who could?), but does the UN ever actually DO anything?  Or do they just TALK endlessly?

I lost all respect for the UN in the 1990's, when they allowed The Sudan, a country that still PRACTICES SLAVERY, a seat on their Human Rights Commission.

What a joke.  Kick'em out, bulldoze the building, and sell the property to Wal-Mart.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 09:45:31 PM »

Oy, I know, don't get me started on the UN. What's it really there for anyway? Every once in a while I cheer something the UN does (er, says it's going to do) in the hope it might actually go on to prove useful somehow. So this year's cheer goes out to one of the few things the UN is doing that might benefit me personally somehow. Yeeea, UN, stop the abuse of women. Somehow.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 04:26:10 PM »

Oy, I know, don't get me started on the UN. What's it really there for anyway? Every once in a while I cheer something the UN does (er, says it's going to do) in the hope it might actually go on to prove useful somehow. So this year's cheer goes out to one of the few things the UN is doing that might benefit me personally somehow. Yeeea, UN, stop the abuse of women. Somehow.

While much of the time they're pretty useless, I think having any large organization that can help mediate and work as a buffer between countries is better than nothing at all.  But yeah, it needs some major restructuring to be more effective.
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 12:18:05 AM »

I don't disagree with their conclusions (who could?), but does the UN ever actually DO anything?  Or do they just TALK endlessly?

I lost all respect for the UN in the 1990's, when they allowed The Sudan, a country that still PRACTICES SLAVERY, a seat on their Human Rights Commission.

What a joke.  Kick'em out, bulldoze the building, and sell the property to Wal-Mart.

From what I understand, Lybia is the current HEAD of the UN Human Rights Commission.  If I didn't know better, I'd say that was someone's idea of a sick sense of humor...

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Wow, On Behalf Of Women, Thanks United Nations! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.