Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:20:49 AM
713333 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  "OMG! you've never seen _____?!" « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14
Author Topic: "OMG! you've never seen _____?!"  (Read 137768 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2008, 11:25:11 PM »

...I didn't see Wizard of Oz until I was 35, sheesh that was a trippy movie!
Wizard of Oz is great, for what is essentially a bomb.  From what I heard, it didn't fare to well back then financially, but it's since become a classic...Good movie.
WRONG! It was not a smash, as expected, but hardly a "bomb".  Come now, Happy, you need to stop relying on Wikipedia...  Twirling  "Good movie?"  It's one of the greatest films ever made.  Really, a cinematic miracle. 

...Everyone really should see Citizen Kane & Casablanca & Double Indemnity -- these are films that are still being stolen from by
filmmakers today...
'nuff said.   Thumbup 

ghouck,Like, a long time ago, like, I knew some shallow people who were, like, really into Woody Allen and stuff.  This was, like, way before he like lost his mind and married his adoptive daughter and stuff. They couldn't fathom how anyone (IE: me) didn't care about the man, his movies, or talking about the man and his movies.  Then again they also used the words "like" and "stuff" a lot when they talked, which was almost as irritating and annoying as watching a Woody Allen movie...
You, like, don't know what you're talking about.   Wink  BTW, your list of never seen movies is, like, huh?  You've been hanging 'round the junk heap of filmdom too long...

...the movie I REALLY want to see....? I'm ashamed to say...I have never seen  MAD LOVE with Peter Lorre. DAM! I WANT to see that one!
Aside from some of those great flicks you're missing, MAD LOVE is weird and wonderful. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2008, 03:08:25 AM »

I've never seen 'Footloose".
People usually gasp when I tell them I've never seen it.
is it any good?
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2008, 07:13:33 AM »

I've never seen 'Footloose".
People usually gasp when I tell them I've never seen it.
is it any good?

I ain't never seen it either. Or FLASHDANCE!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2008, 07:24:02 AM »

I've never seen Footloose or Flashdance either.  There are just so many dance montages I can take, and after seeing Heavenly Bodies, I think my lifetime limit has pretty much been reached  TeddyR  Any more would result in serious psychological trauma.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 07:26:06 AM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2008, 08:44:41 AM »

I got a free copy of Footloose, but I still haven't watched it. Flashdance is passable 80s romantic dreck, but it doesn't really hold up all that well. I enjoy most of Woody Allen's films up through Manhattan (one of the most beautifully filmed movies I've ever seen) to 1985's Purple Rose of Cairo. After that one, it's really hit and miss for me; some are fine, most just don't work as well. Allen was definitely one of the best gag writers of the mid-century, but as he got older and more serious, he began to lose some of his charm for me. I also agree with Allhallowsday that The Wizard of Oz is one of the best movies ever made. It is far deeper than it seems (or than it has any right to be), and it is one of the most endlessly watchable motion pictures ever made, no matter your age.

One movie that I have been berated for not seeing is Pulp Fiction. I've watched several of Tarantino's movies, and I have yet to see one that was worth my time; I don't care for his storytelling or his dialog or much of anything else about his movies. I understand that his movies are immensely popular and, overall, well-made, but they just don't do anything for me.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2008, 09:16:12 AM »

...I didn't see Wizard of Oz until I was 35, sheesh that was a trippy movie!
Wizard of Oz is great, for what is essentially a bomb.  From what I heard, it didn't fare to well back then financially, but it's since become a classic...Good movie.
WRONG! It was not a smash, as expected, but hardly a "bomb".  Come now, Happy, you need to stop relying on Wikipedia...  Twirling  "Good movie?"  It's one of the greatest films ever made.  Really, a cinematic miracle. 

I didn't read that info on Wiki though.  Saw it on some documentary on one of the networks.  Think it was TCM.  Their words, not mine.   Buggedout

I do like the movie though.  I wouldn't buy the dvd, but it was well done.  Just watched it on tv a few weeks ago.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 09:18:35 AM by HappyGilmore » Logged

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2008, 10:05:55 AM »

One movie that I have been berated for not seeing is Pulp Fiction. I've watched several of Tarantino's movies, and I have yet to see one that was worth my time; I don't care for his storytelling or his dialog or much of anything else about his movies. I understand that his movies are immensely popular and, overall, well-made, but they just don't do anything for me.

I think it's because he's a film geek himself, that if you're a film geek you're supposed to like his stuff. So far as I know, Kill Bill (both movies) is the only Tarantino I've seen, and I enjoyed them a lot. There were a number of in jokes I think I caught, and probably hundreds more I missed. (I'm sure I've seen that Chinese kung-fu master and the standing-on-sword thing in Hong Kong flicks, but I couldn't name one if my life depended on it). I do intend to see Pulp Fiction one of these days, just because so many people talk about it.

I've also never seen a Spike Lee film, though I always intended to, going back to when the buzz started around She's Gotta Have It. Not sure why I can't quite get around to those.

Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2008, 10:23:36 AM »

I think it's because he's a film geek himself, that if you're a film geek you're supposed to like his stuff.

This may be part of it. I used to enjoy watching his early interviews, because his love for movies was obvious and infectious. Then he started taking himself seriously as a filmmaker. He strikes me mostly as an extreme fanboy who got really, really lucky. He writes what amounts to modified fan fiction, and it gives people a feeling of familiarity and comfort in seeing something "new." He is basically the embodiment of Hollywood's lack of ability to come up with anything original, so he, like Hollywood, rehashes the same ideas. He calls it tribute; Hollywood calls it a formula for success. If you like his stuff, good on you. As I said, it just doesn't work for me. Goodness, I seem a bit cranky this morning, don't I? If it helps any, I'm an English teacher, and I don't care for William Faulkner, either, though for totally different reasons.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
peter johnson

« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2008, 12:49:51 PM »

Not to jump on anyone, but RCMerchant's list of the unseen is quite breathtaking -- In a way . . . no, not "in a way", but for real -- once you get around to seeing a few of those, you may be in for quite a pleasant surprise.

"Mad Love" is one of the few films that can lay claim to the fact that "Citizen Kane" stole from IT, rather than the other way around!!  See Pauline Kael's "The Citizen Kane Book" for an in-depth analysis of the theft & the rest of the picture.

I saw both the dance films mentioned:  "Footloose" and "Flashdance".  Both films were incredibly popular once upon a time.  Personally, I find them good examples of mass-culture/sociology than anything filmicly memorable.  If you're a historian or a sociologist, you may be interested in these because millions of people watched them repeatedly, but they are really very ordinary movies.  If you've ever seen a "small town girl realizes her dream" film or a "rebel enters a closed uptight society and convinces them to loosen up a little" from Warner Brothers from the '30's or '40's, then you've already seen these films.

I avoided "Pulp Fiction" for years, because I generally don't like modern torture-violence films, and everyone talks about that scene in the basement.  Imagine my surprise when I found it to be mythic and engaging, with a witty, over-the-top script.  It made me think of Russ Meyer, had he been a bit more literate.  The violence and dialogue is simply SO over-the-top that you suspend disbelief entirely, as you know you're not in the real world anymore, but in Tarrantinoland, just like "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" is in Sergionleoneland.

peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
peter johnson

« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2008, 01:00:48 PM »

And, oh, Spike Lee -- yes, I've seen a lot of his, but not all -- Of the ones I've seen, I think "Jungle Fever" is pretty representative of his overall style.  If you like that one, chances are you'll like "She's Gotta Have It", "Do The Right Thing", and his other ones.  If not, you probably won't like his others either.

peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2008, 01:34:11 PM »

I didn't read that info on Wiki though.  Saw it on some documentary on one of the networks.  Think it was TCM.  Their words, not mine.  I do like the movie though.  I wouldn't buy the dvd, but it was well done.  Just watched it on tv a few weeks ago.
I'm just kidding you, anyway.   Wink

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2008, 04:44:18 PM »

He writes what amounts to modified fan fiction, and it gives people a feeling of familiarity and comfort in seeing something "new." He is basically the embodiment of Hollywood's lack of ability to come up with anything original, so he, like Hollywood, rehashes the same ideas. He calls it tribute; Hollywood calls it a formula for success.

I think you should give PULP FICTION a try, even if you didn't like the other movies.  If your primary complaint about Tarantino is his lack of originality, you may find that this one breaks the mold.  I've never seen the particular type of narrative arc Tarantino uses done in any picture before, and it works astonishingly well.  Then again, I really like Faulkner!

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Rat-Bat-Spider
Dedicated Viewer

ICE to meet you!

« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2008, 06:49:34 PM »

I've never seen The Shawshank Redemption. Every time I see it on TNT, I watch it for about five minutes then turn it off. I've never seen more than five minutes of the movie in its entirety. I just cannot do it. It just turns me off in such a way as a movie lover, and that never happens to me with anything. I've watched so much drivel in my day, all the way through in its entirety, but not that. And from what I hear, its one of the highest rated movies ever. It sounds like a good premise, too. Maybe its the color scheme, the Morgan Freeman voice-over, or just my understanding of the plot from everyone telling me about it and everyone parodying it. I can't do it.

Let the picking apart of Eric (Rat-Bat-Spider) by Shawshank connoisseurs commence... Now!  Wink

www.cinematronica.wordpress.com
A movie review every day for an entire year. Can he handle it? Can YOU handle it?
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2008, 07:02:48 PM »

I've never seen either of the Kill Bill movies, Underworld, Shawshank Redemption, the Transformers live action film, Iron Man, Casablanca, Citizen Kane, The Sting, The French Connection, The Godfather Part 2, Seven, The Sixth Sense or Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2008, 08:09:31 PM »

I didn't read that info on Wiki though.  Saw it on some documentary on one of the networks.  Think it was TCM.  Their words, not mine.  I do like the movie though.  I wouldn't buy the dvd, but it was well done.  Just watched it on tv a few weeks ago.
I'm just kidding you, anyway.   Wink
All good, sir. 

Drink

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  "OMG! you've never seen _____?!" « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.