Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:32:07 AM
714253 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  "OMG! you've never seen _____?!" « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14
Author Topic: "OMG! you've never seen _____?!"  (Read 138210 times)
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2008, 01:14:15 AM »

Greetings schmendrik,

Glad you like Woody Allen.  Personally I can't stand the fellow's movies.  At the core they're all the same, or rather I should say HIS characters are carbon copies in that they possess the same boring psychosexual neruosis from movie to movie.  In a way this makes Woody Allen films a lot like those of Jess Franco, sans the gratuitous nudity.   Wink

ghouck,

Like, a long time ago, like, I knew some shallow people who were, like, really into Woody Allen and stuff.  This was, like, way before he like lost his mind and married his adoptive daughter and stuff. They couldn't fathom how anyone (IE: me) didn't care about the man, his movies, or talking about the man and his movies.  Then again they also used the words "like" and "stuff" a lot when they talked, which was almost as irritating and annoying as watching a Woody Allen movie.   Wink

So, like, don't sweat it man.  Just, you know, go with like the flow, and stuff, and don't worry about, like, you know, stuff that people say.

TeddyR

Um, did you just say that anyone who ever liked a Woody Allen movie is shallow and stupid?

You just quoted my ENTIRE post for Gillian Anderson's sake.  Did you not just read: "Like, a long time ago, like, I knew some shallow people"?

What wasn't typed was: "Like, a long time ago, like, I knew some people who were shallow because".

Woody Allen's films are like those of Andy Warhol or John Waters, an aquired taste.  I'm not saying there's anything wrong with such movies or that liking them means anything.  Just saying I knew these shallow people once upon a time long ago in a galaxy not that far away.  It was probably the attempt at imitating 80s era pseudo valley girl speak that threw you.  Guess you just had to live through that to understand.

Kind Regards,

Kester Pelagius

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2008, 01:32:43 AM »

I think you should give PULP FICTION a try, even if you didn't like the other movies.  If your primary complaint about Tarantino is his lack of originality, you may find that this one breaks the mold.

Didn't someone do a break down of how Pulp Fiction is a total mish-mash rip-off of certain Asian movies?  I know, many years ago, it seemed kewl to have a frothing at the mouth hatred for Tarantino and all his works.  But as it's unlikely anyone in a western audience has heard of, much less seen, any of the alledged movies that influenced Tarantino I don't see the need to sport raging hate-ons for the man.

Pulp Fiction was okay.  It had some good dialogue and didn't hurt the careers of any of the actors involved.  Same with Kill Bill.

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #92 on: December 06, 2008, 01:55:20 AM »

i haven't seen either of the kill bill films because i'm not a huge fan of uma thurman's, but i've enjoyed every tarantino-related film i've seen thus far, with perhaps the exception of destiny turns on the radio, which i believe he only acted in.

Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #93 on: December 06, 2008, 09:10:39 AM »

I think you should give PULP FICTION a try, even if you didn't like the other movies.  If your primary complaint about Tarantino is his lack of originality, you may find that this one breaks the mold.

Didn't someone do a break down of how Pulp Fiction is a total mish-mash rip-off of certain Asian movies?  I know, many years ago, it seemed kewl to have a frothing at the mouth hatred for Tarantino and all his works.  But as it's unlikely anyone in a western audience has heard of, much less seen, any of the alledged movies that influenced Tarantino I don't see the need to sport raging hate-ons for the man.

Pulp Fiction was okay.  It had some good dialogue and didn't hurt the careers of any of the actors involved.  Same with Kill Bill.

Don't know if any of these comments were aimed at me, but I must say in my defense that I don't hate Tarantino; I just haven't found any of his movies to be worth my time. I also don't actually recall any time when it was considered "kewl" to hate him (never been kewl enough to know these things, I guess). I didn't watch any of his movies until well after he was a cult icon, and then I came across From Dusk 'Til Dawn on cable and watched it. I remember enjoying the first half, the crime caper part, but then I was sorely disappointed when the movie took a sharp turn into a whole new storyline, the vampire bar. It seemed like he couldn't write a movie-length script, so he mashed two movies together, and it just didn't work for me. This seems to be a habit with him, as he's done it several times since then as well. One day I may give Pulp Fiction a try, though at this point I don't see how it couldn't possibly live up to the hype. In the movie industry, as in life, you can't please everyone, and I just happen to be one of those people who aren't pleased by Tarantino's movies.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #94 on: December 06, 2008, 10:09:38 AM »

I'm not a Tarantino fan either.  A lot of violence and style, signifying absolutely nothing. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #95 on: December 06, 2008, 10:29:35 AM »

I think Pulp Fiction is a good film, but i do agree that it's overrated. I think Tarantino is a bit of a one trick pony when it comes to film making. He uses the same actors, the same styles of music to score his films, seems to mash two or three short stories together and crams them full of violence. That to me is fine, but seeing as he's big time now and well respected, I think it's time to move away from that stuff and try and prove his worth with material that contains more substance within the scripts.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #96 on: December 06, 2008, 10:38:51 AM »

I think Pulp Fiction is a good film, but i do agree that it's overrated. I think Tarantino is a bit of a one trick pony when it comes to film making. He uses the same actors, the same styles of music to score his films, seems to mash two or three short stories together and crams them full of violence. That to me is fine, but seeing as he's big time now and well respected, I think it's time to move away from that stuff and try and prove his worth with material that contains more substance within the scripts.

I agree,his movies are more style than substance,but regardless, I enjoy them alot. Of course...my taste in films ,in many peoples opinion, is questionable. I mean, cripes, one of my favorite movies of all time is BRIDE of the MONSTER!  TeddyR

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2008, 11:04:52 AM »

Here's the weird thing about Tarantino. I heard some actor (it might have been Uma Thurman) talking about how great the Tarantino movies are, but they're really hard to act in because nobody actually talks like that and it's really hard to make these bizarre speeches sound natural.

If nobody actually talks like that, isn't that usually called "bad dialog" and "poor scriptwriting"?
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #98 on: December 06, 2008, 06:35:23 PM »

Didn't someone do a break down of how Pulp Fiction is a total mish-mash rip-off of certain Asian movies? 

Sort of.  You're probably remembering WHO DO YOU THINK YOU'RE FOOLING?, a short documentary that showed (correctly) that Tarantino stole the plot of RESERVOIR DOGS from the HK movie CITY ON FIRE.  The same author made a follow-up about PULP FICTION called YOU'RE STILL NOT FOOLING ANYONE, but from what I read he's not very convincing the 2nd time around.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2008, 08:50:16 PM »

Wasn't it also suggested back in the 90s that Stanley Kubrick's THE KILLING and KANSAS CITY CONFIDENTIAL were also influences on RESERVOIR DOGS and quite possibly the HK film mentioned as well....

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Jape
Dedicated Viewer

Van Dammit!

« Reply #100 on: December 13, 2008, 03:36:44 PM »

Never seen 2001, no Spike Lee except 'Do the Right Thing', I'm extremly uneducated in the ways of Hammer Horror, no John Wayne (bar five minutes snippets while channel surfing) except the comic masterpiece that is CHISUM, Fantasia, Gojira, On Her Majesty's Secret Service plus a few other Bond films (I think they'll mostly drek bar From Russia... which is a great, though slightly silly detective thriller in my eyes) only 15 minutes of Citizen Kane & Casablanca, both great but crappy internet connection Hatred.

I took Film & Media at Sixth Form College and frankly some of my peers were shocking in their lack of knowledge, quite a few just taking an 'easy' course plus a few English Lit. students just applying the same formula to a different medium with little actual knowledge outside of the classroom.

Star Wars was big 'un, though given film student stereotypes when we watched the beginning of Resevoir Dogs (the walk) and some pointed out it was off some comedy show that parodied it I almost choked, plus Alien, ANY westerns, anything with subtitles, outside of Sin City the word noir was alien, hell even famous lines (start of a beautiful friendship, I'll get you my pretty, I'm melting, ...no, I expect you to die, thats no moon, etc.).

My teacher as well was strictly a Media teacher, so beyond the sociological implications of stereotypes in films, that sort of thing she was quite hopeless and being the smug prick that I was (am), I kept pointing out her mistakes and in turn she marked me down for using languague or referencing films she didn't know in essays. When I did a Screenplay segment for Coursework that had to be based on genre, I picked Soviet 'Easterns', basically Cossacks battling Turkmeni nomads in Kazkstan instead of New Mexico, she had a fit  TeddyR

Luckily in the second year when I worked on another, longer Screenplay, a thriller based on French Edwardian supervillain/master criminal/serial killer Fantomas (because I'm THAT amazing!  hot), it turned out she was a fan of the original novels and loved my work, I'd like to say their was sexual chemistry in this partnership but it was just my pubescent self going hard under the table when she was near  Buggedout

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me... it was Tuesday".
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #101 on: December 14, 2008, 08:23:17 PM »

I've never seen The Rock or The Godfather Part 2
Does that make me a bad person ?

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #102 on: December 16, 2008, 11:02:20 AM »

I've never seen The Rock or The Godfather Part 2
Does that make me a bad person ?

No one needs to see The Rock. Ever.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
JJ80
Nutter Magnet

« Reply #103 on: December 16, 2008, 11:19:42 AM »

I thought that "The Rock" was an entertaining enough little action thriller but not exactly earth-shattering stuff.

There are few things more beautiful than a sporting montage with a soft-rock soundtrack
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #104 on: December 16, 2008, 10:54:58 PM »

Isn't The Rock the one where at the end, a guy has a bunch of nerve agent rammed down his throat, only to suffer no ill effects after giving himself atrophine (sp?) shots? If so, I did get a laugh out of the absurdity of that: a dozen or so containers of CNG were supposed to be enough to wipe out a city, and a guy drinks basically a whole container and that magic shot saves him, and seems to have reversed the damage.

As for Tarantino, I didn't really care for Pulp Fiction, but I don't hate it. Also, I enjoyed Kill Bill, but don't consider them favorites. Many people tend to be extremist when it comes to QT's stuff, labeling anyone that doesn't gush over it a hater that's trying to be 'in'. Personally, I liked Natural Born Killers a bit, and thought Death Proof was better than Planet Terror, but none of them really have a place on the "best movie ever" or "worst movie ever" lists. QT just needs to get over his obsession with women's feet, or at least keep it to himself.

Never watched a John Wayne movie ever, , just never cared for westerns (I did like "Draw" though). Frank Zappa had some pretty funny things to say about John Wayne.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  "OMG! you've never seen _____?!" « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.