Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:27:44 AM
713398 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Catalytic Converter Theft! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Catalytic Converter Theft!  (Read 2852 times)
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: November 26, 2008, 01:58:48 PM »

To paraphase my favorite Weekly World News columnist Ed Anger:
I'm madder than Oprah Winfrey with a fat free donut because some creep stole the catalytic converter from my truck!

I have to go file a stinkin' POLICE REPORT right now, so more later...

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 02:14:29 PM »

I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. They have platinum in them and from what's i've heard, there are places that pay good money for them in bulk.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Raffine

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 07:12:27 PM »

Yep, it seems there is a rash of these thefts in this area right now. It was on the local news a few day ago which NATURALLY GIVES MORE GOONS THE BIG IDEA TO GO OUT AND STEAL 'EM!

I actually got off lucky, so to speak. The bandits very politely clipped the thing right off with a reciprocal saw rather than ripping out the whole exhaust sytem. It cost me $240.00 to repair (no, I haven't check on insurance or any of that) but the guys at the shop said they've seen these cases where there is a couple of thousand dollars worth of damage done. The manager even had a little cross section of converter to show customers what the hooligans are after.

Older model coverters are what's targeted. The newer ones and the replacements don't have the bit precious metal the thugs are after. I'm thinking of putting a sign on the side of my truck alerting any future platinum pirates my coverter has been pre-stolen and is no use to them.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 07:18:11 PM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 07:28:58 PM »

Sorry to hear about this problem, Raffine. Good luck to you. Here' s what happened to me one time...

In 2004 I was at a nice park in suburbia, hanging out for the day with my four-year-old cousin, and when we got back to my car, he said he smelled gasoline. I did too. Under my car was a rapidly evaporating puddle of fuel. I got down and looked and someone had punched about ten tiny holes in my gas tank.

I quickly ran thru the lists of disgruntled whoevers from my life and none came to mind as a likely suspect, so I had my same cousin's dad, who co-owns a garage, come get us and I asked if someone was trying to steal the gas tank or what, and he said people steal air bags, hub caps, converters, etc. but not gas tanks. Totally puzzled me and puzzled him except to say he figured it was kids being destructive.

I filed a police report that evening, and the cops knew all about punctured gas tanks. Turns out someone they called an eco-terrrorist had been going around the city punching holes in the gas tanks of cars they thought needed to be stopped. (And, no, it wasn't an SUV or anything, even.) So I got a new fuel tank put in and it hasn't happened twice, but I still think what a strange way to fight for the ecology, to damage some girl's car when she's out with a little kid.

Maybe your people will get busted soon, Raffine.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 07:33:51 PM by ER » Logged

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 11:32:52 PM »

Eco-terrorists are in my experience, from the same mold as many of the 60's stoner hippies: Rebels without a clue, uneducated deadbeats that oppose anything whose opposition allows them to do nothing but hang out with other uneducated deadbeats. I was reading the blog of a guy trying to make cost-effective conversion kits for trucks, even big tractor-trailer rigs, to convert them to CNG or such. First, people complained that he STARTED with a Hummer. He pointed out that a compact that gets 45 miles to the gallon isn't exactly where the focus of conservation should START, but rather to reign in the vehicles that make 10x the emissions. They just didn't get it, and it to me looked like people complaining that people drove trucks and had nothing to do with emissions. He had all kinds of green stickers on the rig, but those idiots still sliced all 5 tires and broke the windshield. So, their accomplishments were: 1) Delay the research on a true emission/energy crisis solution by several weeks. 2) Set said research back over $1000 3) add 5 tires and a windshield to the local landfill. Now that's what I call progress  Lookingup
Some of the responses to his blog were verbal diarrhea like "If you make big trucks alternative fuel and low emissions, that still promotes people buying trucks". I'm not sure what they mean, to me it sounds like they are already gearing up to complain about the solution to their current set of complaints. One of the founders of Greenpeace, who has since departed the organization, went on record to say that Greenpeace is NOT a group of environmental activists, but rather a group of anti-industry activists, and have targeted businesses that have some of the lowest environmental impact levels and some of the highest standards. He went on to say that only after someone pointed out those points would they back off, as if they did little or no research on those issues before rallying their followers. Sad sad sad. .

BTW, I had my gas tank perforated before, it was just plainly to steal gas. I had a locking cap on it, which I immediately took off. Gas tanks these days are hard to siphon out of, it might have been that drilling holes was simply the easiest and quickest way to get the fuel out. .

« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 07:25:57 PM by ghouck » Logged

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 08:43:00 AM »

I filed a police report that evening, and the cops knew all about punctured gas tanks. Turns out someone they called an eco-terrrorist had been going around the city punching holes in the gas tanks of cars they thought needed to be stopped. (And, no, it wasn't an SUV or anything, even.) So I got a new fuel tank put in and it hasn't happened twice, but I still think what a strange way to fight for the ecology, to damage some girl's car when she's out with a little kid.

Not to mention spilling fuel all over, necessitating the manufacture of more gas tanks, and ultimately not getting any cars off the road. Sounds like the work of a moron to me.

The irony of a catalytic converter theft is that I remember the days when it would be the first thing we'd get rid of on a car. TeddyR

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Catalytic Converter Theft! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.