Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:53:06 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Help Settle The Heated Debate! « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Help Settle The Heated Debate!  (Read 11818 times)
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 04:32:13 PM »

And I forgot to say thanks to everyone who replied.  TeddyR

Your Welcome.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
raj

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 07:45:43 PM »

Add both of these to the list of movies I've never seen.  And while I like Scotland & the culture, the history is too tragic for me to really get into.  At least until Scotland once again is a free and independent nation!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 08:02:52 PM »

I think they both kind of suck.

Oh, come on, Akira, you gotta do better than that.  At least define WHY you  thought they sucked, otherwise we may have to dock karma for making simplistic post that don't even add to the thread at hand.
 Buggedout
Yer buggedout alright... who's "we"? (And that's "a" simplistic post that "doesn't...")  I think Akiratubo's comment did indeed add to the discussion.  I think both movies are kind of silly, though I will say over the holiday BRAY FART (can't help it, that's what I've always called that movie) was being played often and though I don't care for MEL GIBSON, I watched parts of it again, and I do think it's an entertaining flick, if absurd.  Plus, PATRICK McGOOHAN is always worth watching! 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Hammock Rider

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 01:24:22 PM »

Boy this is a toughie. Some people considered Gladiator a big budget peplum and I have a soft spot for those. But Braveheart had more humor, better shot battle scenes and was more fun overall. It's a real knuckle duster but I'm giving it to Brave Heart.  I'd like to see Maximus vs William Wallace. Cheers

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2008, 01:40:39 PM »

Gladiator (not to mention a long list of others) wouldn't have been made without the success of Braveheart. Gibson is currently boxoffice poison, but that movie is simply more memorable. Gladiator wasn't half-baked like Troy, or bad like Alexander, but I have a hard time recalling its strengths. The debate is best solved by comparing memorable scenes and a fan of Gladiator will probably remember more scenes from Braveheart than vice versa.

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2008, 08:01:49 PM »

I liked BRAVEHEART more...but I'll take HERCULES AGAINST the MOON MEN any day!  Smile

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
peter johnson

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2008, 11:45:21 AM »

Oh, man!!  Would I love to see a remake of "Hercules Against The Moonmen"!!  And bring back the Harryhausen selenites to fight on the side of the Moon Men!
I own Gladiator, whereas I do not own Braveheart, so I guess that's a default vote -- I certainly visited Wallace tower in Sterling last time I was in Scotland.  They have a huge stone statue of . . .  Mel Gibson!! -- outside the monument.  Would I poo to thee?  I think it's kind of like Sylvester Stallone giving his Rocky statue to the City of Philadelphia.

As a film, I guess I'm more taken with the savagery of gladitorial combat than men in blue wode.  Nothing against flying heads and the aforementioned carved calfs, but I still give it to Gladiator by a knife's edge -- plus I thought Joachim Phoenix was a truly slimy evil emperor, and a good villian will always tip the scale for me.  Nothing really against Braveheart . . . it comes down to picky details.

peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2008, 12:49:54 PM »

Oh, man!!  Would I love to see a remake of "Hercules Against The Moonmen"!!  And bring back the Harryhausen selenites to fight on the side of the Moon Men!
I own Gladiator, whereas I do not own Braveheart, so I guess that's a default vote -- I certainly visited Wallace tower in Sterling last time I was in Scotland.  They have a huge stone statue of . . .  Mel Gibson!! -- outside the monument.  Would I poo to thee?  I think it's kind of like Sylvester Stallone giving his Rocky statue to the City of Philadelphia.

Living in the Philly area, it's been a lot of fun to see the saga of the Rocky statue. The Art Museum (which is the site of the triumphant pose on top of the staircase with the theme song playing) didn't want it, thought it sullied their artistic standards. For awhile it was destined to live in South Philly, Rocky's neighborhood. But finally it has come to rest at the Museum, just to the right of the base of the steps, off in the garden and away from any precious art.

Guess where there's always a crowd of tourists taking pictures?

I think I like Gladiator better as well, though I'd be hard-pressed to name memorable scenes or tell you why I liked it, other than Russell Crowe's performance. It (the performance) worked for me, though not apparently for everyone.

As a film, I guess I'm more taken with the savagery of gladitorial combat than men in blue wode.  Nothing against flying heads and the aforementioned carved calfs, but I still give it to Gladiator by a knife's edge -- plus I thought Joachim Phoenix was a truly slimy evil emperor, and a good villian will always tip the scale for me.  Nothing really against Braveheart . . . it comes down to picky details.

After I saw this movie, I was so intrigued by the story I immediately went to the library to look up the truth about the emperor played by Phoenix. He was pretty much a wacko, and did a pretty good job of destroying the empire, but there doesn't seem to be much factual overlap between his life and the movie character. When he died he left a power vacuum with several different factions competing for rule of Rome.
BTM

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 05:00:57 PM »

I think Akiratubo's comment did indeed add to the discussion. 

How?

Saying something "sucks" isn't really that much of a statement, it's the most simplistic, borderline idiotic thing one can say especially when they don't even bother to back it up with any supportive statements.

"Wise men speak cause they have something to say, fools speak cause they have to say something."  -Chinese Proverb

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Torgo

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 05:52:28 PM »

Braveheart is the better film IMO by a country mile.  I'm not saying it's perfect, some of the dialogue is less than satisfactory at times, but Mel made up for it with some truly beautiful filmmaking, terrific acting and pacing/editing.

Gladiator was one of the most overhyped and disappointing movies that I have seen in the last 10 years.   The editing in particular was horrid which was most evident in the opening battle in the woods.  I still can't believe that this won Best Picture but I can also say that about some other Best Picture winners as well.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Anarckitty
New Visitor

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2008, 06:16:48 PM »

Although I definitely liked Gladiator....

Braveheart is better

"If I were you I'd run."
"If you were me you'd be good lookin."
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2008, 08:34:00 AM »

I certainly visited Wallace tower in Sterling last time I was in Scotland.  They have a huge stone statue of . . .  Mel Gibson!! -- outside the monument. 

That is just too funny! 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Help Settle The Heated Debate! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.