Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:04:16 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Seems like everything good gets cancellled. . « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Seems like everything good gets cancellled. .  (Read 33900 times)
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2009, 11:43:56 AM »

Creator Matt Groening has said that all Fox was wanting out of Futurama was simply The Simpsons in space. They were basically left dumbfounded when they saw the pilot episode as Futurama wound up being its own unique thing that I actually preferred over The Simpsos as a whole.  Fox kind of freaked about what to do with the show hencd the constant scheduling changes leading to the canceling it after 5 years/ 4 seasons.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Nightowl
Bad Movie Lover

Local TV-Movie Nerd!

« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2009, 02:55:14 PM »

Is it just me or has Fox kind of went down hill since the 90's. I mean take a look of all the great groundbreaking shows that came out with in the 90's (The X Files,In Living Color,Martin,Simpsons,Cops,Living Single,MWC...), they have some great shows now, but I think they lost some of the things that made them a great network in the early days.

frankofthefuture
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2009, 05:05:48 PM »

I'm just glad that FRINGE will be back for a second season on FOX. It's the best new show out there in my humble opinion and keeps getting better all the time.
Torgo

« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2009, 11:02:44 AM »

I agree. FRINGE is a most interesting show.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2009, 11:36:52 AM »

Is it just me or has Fox kind of went down hill since the 90's. I mean take a look of all the great groundbreaking shows that came out with in the 90's (The X Files,In Living Color,Martin,Simpsons,Cops,Living Single,MWC...), they have some great shows now, but I think they lost some of the things that made them a great network in the early days.

I suspect it started in the 90s. When Fox was the new kid on the block, they were innovative and took chances because that was all they had, and they really had nothing to lose. So they came out with a lot of groundbreaking shows. I think they started to slip once they got firmly established as one of the major networks. I started to notice it after they got the NFL in 93. Fox had a great Sunday-night lineup in the 90s. You could watch all evening if you wanted. But one day I sat there and watched as post-game gabbing cut into season premiere night for some of those Sunday shows, wondering how they could think their viewers would like that. It occurred to me that they were finally competing with the big boys on even terms, and that was all that mattered. "Screw this stuff, we got the football games away from CBS." Fox continued to produce some good, creative shows, but they were definitely taking fewer risks, second-guessing themselves a lot more and generally behaving like any other network. That trend has continued.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2009, 09:27:52 PM »

I just found out that the CW's Reaper was canncelled.  It was one of those cool under-the-radar shows. And aside from Supernatural (which will end next year say the writers) it was the only CW show I watched.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
bladerunnerblues
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2009, 07:20:52 PM »

I have always felt Married With Children was taken off kind of early/oddly. I mean i'm a huge fan and all, but I will say the jokes were wearing a little thin but I still loved them and the ratings were still good, espcially in foreign markets(I understand Germans are huge fans of MWC)just kind of weird it was canned at the last minute without a final show for the fans. You have to understand MWC was the very first show to run on Fox when nobody knew what Fox was and MWC helped it become as popular as it is now. Just goes to show you how networks care about their shows and fans. :(

Taken off early?It ran for 11 seasons.
Nightowl
Bad Movie Lover

Local TV-Movie Nerd!

« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2009, 07:53:01 PM »

But the ratings were still good, who does that?

WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2009, 08:23:22 PM »

I have always felt Married With Children was taken off kind of early/oddly. I mean i'm a huge fan and all, but I will say the jokes were wearing a little thin but I still loved them and the ratings were still good, espcially in foreign markets(I understand Germans are huge fans of MWC)just kind of weird it was canned at the last minute without a final show for the fans. You have to understand MWC was the very first show to run on Fox when nobody knew what Fox was and MWC helped it become as popular as it is now. Just goes to show you how networks care about their shows and fans. :(

There was a THS about this show.  The writers planned for another season, but were cancelled before they got it.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2009, 09:19:01 PM »

But the ratings were still good, who does that?

Shows sometimes get cancelled in spite of good ratings, simply because the people involved want to move on. And networks do have a history of axing popular shows in order to appeal to a different demographic, such as CBS and the 'rural purge' of 1971.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Nightowl
Bad Movie Lover

Local TV-Movie Nerd!

« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2009, 02:07:53 AM »

Yeah, but from my understanding the cast was planning another season. Yeah sometimes networks make really bad decisions.

BTM

« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2009, 08:12:01 AM »

There was a THS about this show.  The writers planned for another season, but were canceled before they got it.

Yeah, plus they pulled the plug without even telling anyone on the show they were doing so, not even giving them the chance to make a final episode.  I mean, how lame is that?  MWC was one of THE pillars of the Fox network, as one other reviewer put it, "Who could forgot Fox's one two punch of The Simpsons and Married With Children?"  And yet, for all the show did for them, they just dumped it like an unknown mid-season pickup.

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
bladerunnerblues
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2009, 01:17:58 AM »

Didn't they(Fox)keep changing the day and time when MWC was on?I think towards the end,it was on Tuesday?It worked so much better in the early seasons when it was on Sunday with The Simspons and for a while,Get A Life...Ahh,those were the days..
BTM

« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2009, 11:10:05 PM »

Well, of course, there's Firefly, I STILL can't figure out what the hell happened with that one.  I mean, Joss had TWO hit TV shows under his belt, you think Fox would have said, "Okay, well, let's give him a bit to see how well this new show turns out..." but instead they seemed dead set against it from day one.

I also thought it sucked how they canceled American Gothic and Brimstone, both were good series, IMHO. 

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Monster Jungle X-Ray
Bad Movie Lover

Just Another Pretty Face

« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2009, 04:22:59 AM »

Well, of course, there's Firefly, I STILL can't figure out what the hell happened with that one.  I mean, Joss had TWO hit TV shows under his belt, you think Fox would have said, "Okay, well, let's give him a bit to see how well this new show turns out..." but instead they seemed dead set against it from day one.

I also thought it sucked how they canceled American Gothic and Brimstone, both were good series, IMHO. 

I was going to mention American Gothic, that was a genuinely creepy show, one I really enjoyed. Yeah its weird how FOX has changed since its beginnings, Married With Children and Werewolf (the one with Chuck Connors) were two of my favorite shows back then when they were experimenting with lots of edgy entertainment. MWC broke a lot of new ground for the sitcom, and although it did last a long time to end it with no real final episode is a big slap in the face to the cast and crew.

I think the days of experimentation with unique series is largely over, shows that allow for characters that are not cookie cutter archetypes to grow over time. Carnivale being one of the biggest recent examples, normally Showtime would see a series through to the end, but that one was canceled on the 2nd season albeit at the natural end of its first story arc.

Genre shows always seem to suffer the most when it comes time to make room for the lowest common denominator tripe these network execs like to champion. Firefly (this one still confuses me), Space: Above and Beyond, Surface what was that other one Earth 2?? Plenty of other examples have been mentioned in this thread.

King of the Hill is canceled now, and Judge's new show is not all that good from what I saw of the first episode. At least FOX from what I understand ordered a couple more episode of KOTH to end it properly.

" Society doesn't accept us because of what we are, so we're an enemy of society. " - Pa Mooney, THE RATS ARE COMING! THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Seems like everything good gets cancellled. . « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.