Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:40:30 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Seems like everything good gets cancellled. . « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Seems like everything good gets cancellled. .  (Read 33905 times)
Wag
Bad Movie Lover

It's a real cat and carrot situation

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2009, 01:59:02 AM »

Whenever an actor wants to leave a series their character gets killed off.  So you can't really count character deaths as being "meaningful" in any way since that is THE cliche these shows use to dismiss characters when an actor leaves the series.  It's really rather petty, if you think about.

I suppose you are right, but meaningfulness in a series may be kind of relative; since Charmed was meaningless fluff for 8 series, I don't think they could do much better. Even though their deaths were due to the actors leaving, for me that did add something to the drama levels cos I knew that there would be no reset button; these characters were not coming back.

Still, it would have been refreshing if they had taken more than storylines from Buffy and killed off characters purely for dramatic purposes.

Where the hell is that soothing music coming from?
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2009, 09:32:22 AM »

Whenever an actor wants to leave a series their character gets killed off.  So you can't really count character deaths as being "meaningful" in any way since that is THE cliche these shows use to dismiss characters when an actor leaves the series.  It's really rather petty, if you think about.

I suppose you are right, but meaningfulness in a series may be kind of relative; since Charmed was meaningless fluff for 8 series, I don't think they could do much better. Even though their deaths were due to the actors leaving, for me that did add something to the drama levels cos I knew that there would be no reset button; these characters were not coming back.

Still, it would have been refreshing if they had taken more than storylines from Buffy and killed off characters purely for dramatic purposes.

Not true, Mulder wasn't killed off.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2009, 01:03:01 PM »

No, but he might have well as been.  The seres had already reached its peak and was starting to decline.  I think for a lot of people this made the shark jump official.

What was funny to me, was if you were payin attention to the rumors about what was going on behind the scenes.  Duchoveny (sp) really wanted off the show, and stayed on because of contract requirements.  But years later, when asked if he would due another X-Files movie, he seemed real enthusiastic about it.  Like he realized the mistake he made by quitting.

One show I thought had potential but was cancelled after one season was Animal Face Off on Animal planet.  The show was, well just what the title said.  Scientist used information, mechanics, and CGI to see which animal would when in a fight.  Crocodile vs Great White Shark, Elephant vs Rhino, Gorilla vs Leopard were some of the fights.

But as I said, the show had POTENTIAL.  It needed some major retooling which it didn't survive long enough to get.  My major problem was the show was an hour long devoted to one fight.  It would have been better as two half hours and two different fights.  Especially since it became clear which animal would win after the first 15 minutes. 

The new American Gladiators didn't last long either.  Which was odd considereing how much exposure it got the first season.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Wag
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2009, 01:08:31 PM »

The new American Gladiators didn't last long either.  Which was odd considereing how much exposure it got the first season.

Really? I am surprised at that as I find it to be far more entertaining than the new series of UK Gladiators which seems to be going strong (I would be happy to stand corrected on this point if anyone has heard about it being cancelled too).

Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2009, 01:20:29 PM »

No, but he might have well as been.  The seres had already reached its peak and was starting to decline.  I think for a lot of people this made the shark jump official.

If Mulder hadn't left then we would never have had Doggett!!!!!
Doggett is the best character in the show!!!
He is awesome.

Series 5,8,9 were the best.
Without Mulder there was no tedious alien conspiracy nonsense.

Thumbup

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Wag
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2009, 02:01:14 PM »

Without Mulder there was no tedious alien conspiracy nonsense.

It was a bit drawn out, I agree.

I did enjoy X-Files but it too did last too long when superior series fell by the wayside.

schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2009, 05:33:42 PM »

One funny twist on this that happened many years ago. There was some soap opera that I'd never heard of (it had the name of some California city as its title. San Clemente? San Jose?) until I read this item in some entertainment news update. Seems ratings were really poor and the producers really wanted to clean house. So there was an earthquake. And everybody, I mean EVERY SINGLE FREAKIN CHARACTER was killed off.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2009, 05:41:49 PM »

Santa Barbara. Don't ask me how I know that.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Wag
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2009, 05:47:00 PM »

So there was an earthquake. And everybody, I mean EVERY SINGLE FREAKIN CHARACTER was killed off.

I am slightly impressed that every character in a show can die and yet it not get cancelled!

A soap here in the UK called Emmerdale, did a similar thing and killed off a load of their cast with a plane crash.

InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2009, 06:40:32 PM »

I remember being extremely disappointed when Surface, Threshold, and Invasion were all cancelled.  I mean, come on!  They were great sci-fi shows and they had so much more to give.  Though, CBS screwed up big time by switching around Threshold's timeslot during the Christmas season, which is why it got cancelled.  Morons!!!

Other shows that were good that got cancelled was Joan of Arcadia.  It had a lot of pontenial and it seemed like it could be going somewhere good.  K-Ville was pretty interesting and loved the setting it was in.

Biggest insult to me was cancelling George Lopez Show.  Can you believe that got rid of it so they could put in the Caveman show that was horrible?  Insult!

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Wag
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2009, 07:00:40 PM »

Other shows that were good that got cancelled was Joan of Arcadia.  It had a lot of pontenial and it seemed like it could be going somewhere good. 

I agree - lots of poignant storylines, superbly acted.

At about the same time, there was also Wonderfalls with a similar basic premise, but handled in a completely different way, making it poles apart but equally good. It too is sadly missed by me (plus I have lost one of the discs from my box set, making me even more bitter!).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 07:05:15 PM by Wag » Logged

WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2009, 02:48:12 AM »

Sorry, but sadly, television is pretty much like voting.  Only the highest rated shows stay on the air.  They don't care to make one viewer happy, but millions.

I watch mostly documentaries on the Discovery, Science and National Geographic Channels.  Unlike fictional TV shows, you don't invest much emotion in those.  You don't feel much empathy for the characters and you don't care how the story is going along as it is always fact.

But still, even Documentary series get cancelled.  I remember many of Discovery's documentary series which are no longer on the air, like the Secret Life of Machines, Discover magazine with Lucky Severson.

I do expect a few of my current favorite Documentary series to be cancelled eventually.  Like Mythbusters.  That show has been going strong for the last seven years.  But like all TV shows, its strength will eventually wane and go on the chopping block

Perhaps the only shows that almost never get cancelled are Soap Operas.  Many of these shows are still on TV, some started on radio before migrating to TV.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 02:50:29 AM by WyreWizard » Logged

Babe, I'm leaving.  I must be on my way.  The time is drawing near.  The train is going.  I see it in your eyes.  The love beneath your tears.  And I'll be lonely without you.  And I'll need your love to see me through.  So please me.  My heart is your hands.  And I'll be missing you...
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2009, 08:12:59 AM »

My wife and I used to tape Santa Barbara and watch it religiously  TeddyR  It was a real cut above the other soaps.  Stuff actually happened!  I didn't know everyone died in an earthquake.  Interesting trivia:  the show was wildly popular in Russia and many Russians learned to speak English from watching it.

The soap Passions got canceled a few years back.  It had the worst ratings of any soap, and maintained that for years and years.  Due to fan outcry, DirecTV picked it up, but canceled it after a few months.  Deservedly so, if you ever had the misfortune to see an episode. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2009, 09:38:49 AM »

My wife and I used to tape Santa Barbara and watch it religiously  TeddyR  It was a real cut above the other soaps.  Stuff actually happened!  I didn't know everyone died in an earthquake.  Interesting trivia:  the show was wildly popular in Russia and many Russians learned to speak English from watching it.

The soap Passions got canceled a few years back.  It had the worst ratings of any soap, and maintained that for years and years.  Due to fan outcry, DirecTV picked it up, but canceled it after a few months.  Deservedly so, if you ever had the misfortune to see an episode. 

Well, my memory was faulty as it turns out. Wikipedia claims it wasn't everybody.

When a major earthquake hit Santa Barbara[7], core character Danny Andrade slept through the entire thing.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Barbara_(TV_series))

I can't find any more information than that. As I said, at the time I'd never heard of the show but the announcement of the earthquake caught my attention because of the large number of characters being killed off at once.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2009, 10:45:07 AM »

Sorry, but sadly, television is pretty much like voting.  Only the highest rated shows stay on the air.  They don't care to make one viewer happy, but millions.

Missing the point, and taking a patronizing tone while doing it. WW is nothing if not consistent.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Seems like everything good gets cancellled. . « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.