Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:33:48 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Johnny Carson...Over-rated? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Johnny Carson...Over-rated?  (Read 4985 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« on: November 30, 2008, 11:10:04 PM »

Granted about the entirety of my viewership of The Tonight Show in the Carson era consists of my having been allowed to stay up and see his final show in May 1992, but after hearing for years that the man was the epitome of great talent who set the universal standard for all time as to what a host ought to be, I rented some DVD anthologies of highlights of his work and I have to confess...I just don't see that he was all that. Johnny Carson was good-natured, moderately entertaining, affable, quick-witted, but no more so than many others. I know times change and he did his thing in another era, in front of other generations with different sensibilities, but he seemed so silly with his innuendos, his double-entendres, his tiresomely inane sketch bits, his suggestively risque banter with guests. He also was out there doing his show at a time when he had very little serious broadcast competition over most of the course of his thirty-year run. When he had competition, his dominance of the genre became less secure. Ratings aside and just talking demonstrated capability here, the man is the eternally-reigning King of Late Night, why?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 11:11:35 PM by ER » Logged

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 09:22:45 AM »

He was just a pleasant guy that people enjoyed spending their evenings with.  Made you chuckle once in a while, that's about it. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 10:15:41 AM »

What was it about Carson? It wasn't his monologue, which was so uniformly lame he made a schtick out of the lameness. It's not that he was some Great Talent. You watched Carson for the outstanding talent he'd have on, for the surprising things that would get said when he'd be talking to them on the set. They were obviously having a good time, and it was a nice, relaxing way to spend an evening. It was rumored that many kids were conceived by the lights of Johnny Carson.
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 06:30:44 PM »

It was watching every year, Ed Ames, who at the time was playing Mingo on "Daniel Boone," throw a tomahawk at the outline of a cowboy, and hitting the outline of the cowboy in the crotch with the tomahawk. It still makes me giggle, just thinking about it.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 07:18:14 PM »

But do you remember what Johnny said in response?

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 11:20:18 PM »

Ha, yep, the hatchet throwing segment was in one of the Best Of DVD's I watched. Carson's reply was the epitome of himself.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 02:04:21 PM »

Back in the days of only 3 broadcast channels his show was part of the Public Dialogue. Nowadays there are dozens of shows you can watch at night thanks to cable and tivo but back then after the news there was.....Johnny! His show was what you talked about at the water cooler back when they really had water coolers. Also it was a pleasant way to wind down the evening right before bed. And every now and then there was a chance a marmoset would relieve itself on Johnny's head.  BounceGiggle

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Dave M
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 06:45:46 PM »

If you can manage to stay on the air for 50, 60, 70 years, your Best Of episodes are going to rock.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Johnny Carson...Over-rated? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.