Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:53:31 AM
714148 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Solved  |  Vampire Surfer movie « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Vampire Surfer movie  (Read 7880 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« on: December 01, 2008, 12:08:24 PM »

I heard there is a film from the 80’s, very low-budget, intentionally campy.  I’ve never seen it.  I thought the title was as simple as Vampire Surfers, but I haven’t found anything on that title.  Anyway, you already know the basic premise.  Vampire surfers terrorize the California coast.  Apparently there’s a scene at the beginning where the members of the 80’s indie band Camper Van Beethoven, playing a bunch of hippies in a VW bus, are the first victims of the vampire surfers.

Anyone know about this one? 

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 12:30:23 PM »

Not a great match, and I am not familiar with that band, but perhaps "Surf II" (1984).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088207/

I keep hoping for a DVD release of this film.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 01:38:55 PM »

It's not Surf II.  I like that one.

I've done some online research and can't come up with anything.  I had read about this film in some liner notes from an old vinyl LP I used to have from that band, but I don't have the LP anymore.  I'm beginning to wonder if it was a student film from UC Santa Cruz, which most of the band members attended in the early 80's.  Just a guess.  Whatever this film is, it's definately obscure. 

For those who are not familiar with Camper Van Beethoven, they were a kick-ass phychedelic/cowboy/punk/ska/folk/etc band from northern California, the main singer of which went on to form Cracker.  Camper almost made it to prominence around 1989 with the album Key Lime Pie.  Their greatest album, however, was 1987's Our Beloved Revolutionary Sweetheart, a tongue-in-cheek tribute to the days of the Patty Hearst trial.   

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 07:03:42 PM »

I have no idea about the movie, you may be right, could be a student film.  Just wanted to second your recommendation of "Our Beloved Revolutionary Sweetheart."  One of my favorite rock albums of all time, there's not a weak track on it. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Rayo Casablanca
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 09:13:16 AM »

I concur, fantastic band.

Here are the actual notes:
"NEVER GO BACK: B-movie and CVB aficionados may recall this song from the soundtrack of Paul MacKinney's 1974 classic "Vampire Surfers" movie. The Campers actually have cameo roles in the film: they play a group of doomed microbus hippies who camp on a deserted beach. Needless to say, they last only a few minutes into the movie. Later, at a surfer beach hangout (many will recognize it as the now defunct Safari Sam's in Huntington Beach), "Never Go Back" blares from the jukebox while the tanless, cape-wearing Transylvanian surfers square off against a wholesome bunch of California wavehounds."
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 12:07:51 PM »

Wholeheartedly agreed.  BTW, I was wrong about that album, it was 1988.  I saw Camper about 5 times back in the late 80's, and every show was great.  The first time I saw them was in '87 at a place called McCabes Guitar Shop in L.A.  They played in the back room lined with various acoustic stringed instruments from various parts of the world, on a tiny stage in a tiny room that held about 80 people.  What a show!  They had a horn section come out of about 12 players who positioned themselves along the walls around the room, so depending on where you sat, you heard the section differently.  I was sitting next to a french horn and a trombone so I heard those predominantly.  At one point in the show they were going around the room and picking instruments off the wall and playing various songs with them, mostly David Lowry and Jonathan Segal.  Very organic.  You knew you were seeing something that noone else will ever see.  I was sad to see the departure of Jonathan Segal for Key Lime Pie, the band just wasn't the same.  The woman that replaced him was technically a better violinist, but just didn't bring the same things to the table that he did.

Anyway, sorry to turn a movie board into a music board.  I will stop pining for the good old days now.

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 12:42:56 PM »

OMG, Rayo, that sounds exactly like the liner notes that I recall.  Why can I not find anything on the internet about this film?  I even search google with the keywords "vampire surfers 1974" and can't find anything.  Any leads?

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 02:27:02 PM »

Okay, I still have my doubts as to the existence of "Vampire Surfers."  I can't find any information on Paul MacKinney.  I think it either doesn't exist or it's a student film that was never distributed.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 05:44:36 PM »

Okay, I still have my doubts as to the existence of "Vampire Surfers."  I can't find any information on Paul MacKinney.  I think it either doesn't exist or it's a student film that was never distributed.

It looks like the movie is a hoax.  Check out the review of Vampire Can Mating Oven from AMG: "With completely over-the-top fake liner notes from an 'Isaac Fringe' describing the song's origins ... 'Never Go Back,' allegedly from the soundtrack of a 1974 surfer vampire movie (but of course)."

As to McCabe's, jlb67, I envy you.  Apparently everyone plays well at McCabe's.  About 12 artists have released albums entitled "Live at McCabe's."  In particular Norman Blake (bluegrass/acoustic guitar icon) scorched the strings there. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 05:59:13 PM »

I kinda figured that.  I know that David Lowry wasn't exactly very young during his stint with CVB, but he, and the rest of the band, would have been too young to have appeared as hippies in a movie in 1974. 

And yes, McCabes is awesome.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Solved  |  Vampire Surfer movie « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.