Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:25:44 PM
713372 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Lakeview Terrace « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lakeview Terrace  (Read 2351 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: December 01, 2008, 02:28:50 PM »

Thumbdown

Cripes!  What a waste!

You might wonder how you could go wrong with a movie about Sam Jackson as a racist cop terrorizing a mixed-race couple.

For starters, you could let Neil LaBute direct it.  As soon as his name popped up in the credits, I knew I had wasted my ticket money.  At least LaBute reigned in his rampant misogyny a little this time around.  Sure, the wife quits taking her pills because she just has to have a baby right now and she doesn't give a damn if her husband wants to or not, and we're obviously supposed to be siding with hubby when he gets (mildly) p**sed off, but that's pretty tame for a Neil LaBute movie.  The entire movie doesn't dwell on how trecherous, scheming, inconsiderate, domineering, and evil women are, like some of his others.

Actually, the movie doesn't dwell on anything.  We've got Sam Jackson as a racist cop and his sloooooowly escalating quest to mildly annoy his neighbors but that's not really what the movie's about.  We've got the married couple and their personal problems but that's not what the movie's about.  We've got Sam Jackson's problems at work and with his kids but that's not what the movie's about.  We've even got raging wildfires threatening to burn down the neighborhood but that's not what the movie's about, either.

So what is it about?

Eh, nothing really.  All those loose plot threads and a couple more just come and go until LaBute decides he's shot enough footage and ends things with a little brawl and a few bullets.  I guess LaBute was going for a slow burn (Hey!  Just like the wildfires!) but the movie is just slow.  Period.  The only thing it has going for it is Sam Jackson making funny faces every now and then.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 04:44:01 PM »

I missed this one when it was in theaters.  However, it seemed that everyone was saying this was a bad movie.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 07:36:06 PM »

Funny, LaBute started off on a pretty strong note with IN THE COMPANY OF MEN (which was anything but misogynist).  I lost track of his career and was shocked to find out he was responsible for the disastrous WICKER MAN remake.  He seemed very talented when he started out, I wonder what happened?

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Lakeview Terrace « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.