Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:58:08 PM
714349 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Top 5 Inferno: British Horror Films « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Top 5 Inferno: British Horror Films  (Read 7180 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« on: December 02, 2008, 04:09:17 PM »

Inspired by a recent post, and by the film High Fidelity, I will periodically post discussions welcoming all to participate in the outstanding “Top 5” format as practiced by the loveable music geeks from the film.  It seems to fit this forum perfectly.  This can include both “good” movies and “bad” movies, as the proposed subject, and your personal tastes, dictate.  These will usually be posed based on recent experiences or films I’ve seen, with the intention of generating playful and enjoyable discussion.  I will post my own “Top 5,” and welcome agreement, disagreement, comments, insults, and you own personal “Top 5” lists related to the topic.  Enjoy.

Today’s post:

Top 5 British horror films (either good or bad)

1.  “The Wicker Man” (1973) – #1 #1 #1!  And again, the remake with Nick Cage is what should have been burned, in a wicker film canister.

2.  “Night of the Demon” (1957) – because it’s scary regardless of the terrible effects and no gore.

3.  “Village of the Damned” (1959) – because it’s good and the remake with Christopher Reeve is horrible and people need to see that the concept was good.

4.  “Psychomania” (1972) – because it’s trash and makes no sense and the title is completely irrelevant and it’s just jolly good fun.

5.  “The Haunting” (1962) – because, well, it’s terrifying.  Yet another horribly made remake in 1999.

Where the USA has always excelled in the arena of slasher films, the brits have likewise excelled in supernatural horror films.  The British are responsible for more amazingly chilling, and horribly remade horror films than any other culture in my humble opinion, as my Top 5 list illustrates.  The crying shame is that the average American will never know that so many films made across the pond that never received attention in the states get remade into garbage by Hollywood, trying to pass it off as an original idea.  I’m of Irish decent and have my natural prejudices toward the British, but when it comes to supernatural gothic horror, those fog-breathers have never been touched. 

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 07:27:18 PM »

I was just reading an essay on PEEPING TOM (1960) yesterday, and the writer pointed out that there were hardly any British horror movies to be found prior to 1960 (though you manage to cite two from the late 50s).  Brits apparently hated the genre and considered horror movies to be a "German thing."  Certainly the British have overcome their irrational fear of horror since, though.

My Top 5 British horror films:

1. PEEPING TOM (1960) - so much for the idea Brits don't do slasher films!
2. THE WICKER MAN (1973)
3. NIGHT OF THE DEMON (1957)
4. VAMPYRES (1974)
5. THE COMPANY OF WOLVES (1984)

Honorable mention: DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES [AKA FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS]--love the movie, but it's more comedy than horror. 

Also, I believe the classic THE SHINING was a UK/USA co-production, but I only included films that were primarily British.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 08:05:00 PM »

...1. PEEPING TOM (1960) - so much for the idea Brits don't do slasher films!
Debatable.  Interestingly, this film was reviled by critics and audiences alike and ended MICHAEL POWELL's career as an important and respected filmmaker. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 08:42:01 PM »

1)  Quatermass and the Pit (1967)
2)  The Mummy (1959)
3)  The Keep (1983)
4)  The Abominable Snowman (1957)
5)  Horror Express (1973)

Yeah, I'm somewhat of a Hammer fan.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 08:55:44 PM »

Debatable.  Interestingly, this film was reviled by critics and audiences alike and ended MICHAEL POWELL's career as an important and respected filmmaker. 

I assume you consider it debatable whether it's a slasher film, not whether it's a horror film, British, or a top 5 selection.  Anyway, though it's clearly not a formula 1970s/1980s slasher, and Mark pierces his victims rather than slashes them, the fact that it's about a human killer whose overwhelming motivation is to stalk and kill victims puts it, like PSYCHO, into a very broad "slasher" definition.  At the very least, the slasher genre would be unlikely to develop in the way it did if not for PEEPING TOM and PSYCHO.

The thesis of the essay I was reading is that the critics reviled PEEPING TOM precisely because it was a horror film, and horror films in Britain were prima facie trash.  According to the author the critics lambasted the early Hammer features as well, before they finally got used to them and did a turnabout.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 09:26:22 PM »

I assume you consider it debatable whether it's a slasher film, not whether it's a horror film, British, or a top 5 selection...
No.  I don't disagree that it may be classified as a Slasher film.  What's debatable is the idea that the British do do Slasher films... my comments are directly related to the reception a film by the highly respected, even beloved, MICHAEL POWELL originally received. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 01:57:13 AM »

lifeforce (aka: space vampires)
curse of the werewolf
horror express
the wicker man
hellbound: hellraiser II

of course, horror express and the wicker man were already mentioned, but i had to have them in my personal top 5. i'd also second peeping tom, but i wanted to add some fresh titles to the list.

peter johnson

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 11:51:32 AM »

Yeah, I'd put "Quatermass and The Pit" at number one on just about any list of anything.  Still wish more people knew of this film/would watch this film -- I find it a bit odd that it gets overlooked either because A) It's old or B) It doesn't fit neatly into any category of either science fiction or horror or suspense because it is no unique.
peter j/denny c

I have no idea what this means.
peter johnson

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 12:01:00 PM »

That should be "SO unique . . ."

I have no idea what this means.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 12:17:28 PM »

I figured it out.  That's funny though

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Raffine

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 06:45:39 PM »

Lots of outstanding films already mentioned.

I'll add: DEAD OF NIGHT (1945)

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 05:49:36 PM »

I've seen most of those mentioned. I've enjoyed most of those I've seen, but to keep the total restricted to just 5 British horror films, I've to restrict myself to just British vampire films.

1. The Horror of Dracula.

2. The Fearless Vampire Killers.

3. Captain Kronos, Vampire Hunter.

4. Vampire Circus.

5. Lair of the White Worm.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 02:43:28 PM »

I'd put almost anything already mentioned on my list although i would also include the Two Faces of Dr. Jekyl and of course....

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
darthchicken
Bad Movie Lover

"If my rhyme was a drug, I'd sell it by the gram"

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 03:33:49 PM »

Spice World is a classic.  BounceGiggle

"His coconut gun can fire in spurts. If he shoots ya, it's gonna hurt!" - James Madison
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 10:43:36 PM »

The HAUNTING (1962) was British?!?!? Wow...color me duh! If so...that's #1 for me!
2. One that Raffine pointed out...DEAD of NIGHT. GREAT ghost story anthology!

Ok....here's where I get weird on you guys...

3.The BLACK ZOO- Micheal Gough is a weirdo who kills people with exotic animals from his ...uh....Black zoo. He worships them...some kinda nonsense. Anyway-I like this movie alot!

Small | Large

4. SCARS of DRACULA-My favorite Chris Lee/Dracula movie ever! Why? This one has MORE Chris Lee than almost 3 of his other Drac movies put together!

5. This took a lot of thought....so I choose....KONGA!!!!

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Top 5 Inferno: British Horror Films « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.