Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:22:25 AM
713386 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Zombie Holocaust (1980) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Zombie Holocaust (1980)  (Read 3274 times)
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: December 03, 2008, 05:45:52 PM »

I rarely watch Italian "cannibal" movies. I know, my loss. That's because their reputation for being extremely gory, which still continues, even if their occasional guts shots have been put to shame by the likes of "Hostel" and so on. The second is that I've learned that some of them contain animal torture, and I don't want that in my cereal, thank you very much.

But now and then I have the oportunity of watching them and I haven't ended posting about obscure Italian movies in a Bad Movies message board being picky. So I've watched this one and... it's not bad.

Well, actually the first half is. It involves the main characters witnessing several acts of cannibalism in New York and it has some laughably bad moments. At one point one of the perpetrators jumps through a window, and the manequin substituting him in his attempts to fly loses an arm when it hits the floor. And it doesn't just come off. It flies out of frame at decent speed. And that's the take that made the final cut. Go figure.

Things start improving when the witnesses decide that the acts of cannibalism being carried out by some kind of Asian sect are not a good enough explanation and travel to the other end of the world, presumably to ask the cultists themselves. This part is not exactly great either, but it does involve lots of gore, cheap make-up effects and nudity from the luscious Alexandra Delli Colli. And there's even a rather effective climax, involving Dei Colli being stripped, painted with floral motives and spread eagled into a stone mold for sacrifice (and one wonders how the cultist manage to keep her so calm during the process, which does not involve her being restrained at any point), a mad doctor, scalping, zombies and at least a dozen angry tribemen.

So, must-see? Hell no. But a fun flick to catch whenever it airs on TV.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 06:55:20 PM »

I was kind of down the middle with this flick.  I didn't love it nor hate it.  Although I found the zombies really are few and far between in this movie.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 09:44:28 PM »

My favorite part is near the beginning when the dude in the hospital who gets caught chowing down on organs jumps out of about a 6th floor window. They then cut to a mannequin falling and when it hits you actually see an arm pop loose.   TeddyR

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Rat-Bat-Spider
Dedicated Viewer

ICE to meet you!

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 09:14:56 AM »

The weird thing about movies like this is when they get cut and distributed around the world, its like each country has another name for it. All over the place you have names like Dr. Butcher, M.D., Dr. Butcher, Medical Deviate, Island Of The Last Zombies, Queen Of The Cannibals (?), or just Zombie 3. Why? I know sometimes names lose something in the translation, and the production company might want to widen the audience by changing the name to something less infamous, but Queen Of The Cannibals? I'm pretty sure the Seventh Seal doesn't have other names tossed in there at random; The Adventures Of Antonius Block, The Talented Mr. Death, Jof: Sweden's Unholy Minstrel, The Witch Burns At Dusk, or Sweet Uncle Larry's Flapjacks!

www.cinematronica.wordpress.com
A movie review every day for an entire year. Can he handle it? Can YOU handle it?
inframan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 09:56:29 AM »

Gotta love the outboard motor scene.  Thumbup

I don't like Itallian zombie/cannibal flicks either but this one is just too much fun. So bad its good. Kind of a rip off of Zombi.

I think there's a reader submitted review on this site.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Zombie Holocaust (1980) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.