Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:15:23 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Punisher: War Zone" : New B-movie classic? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Punisher: War Zone" : New B-movie classic?  (Read 5148 times)
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« on: December 08, 2008, 04:35:47 PM »

Some of you may scoff at this notion, but I actually went and saw this movie on Friday night, with other people in the theater.  People were shouting, laughing, active in so many ways...and even though I heard people say that it sucked, it still got applause from the audience at the end. 

I think this movie has potential as a cult classic when it comes out on video.  It's just sooooo bad, that it's perversely entertaining.

Ray Stevenson, to his credit, makes a convincing Punisher, much more so than Tom Jane...but, he didn't get to show off the kind of acting talent that he proved in HBO's Rome.  Throw in a stupid script, and an even worse director (A kickboxer?  You've gotta be f**king kidding me!), and you have a film that was pretty much doomed from the start.   

Hopefully for Stevenson, the upcoming "Book of Eli" will prove to be much better, and he can look at this film the way Susan Sarandon looks at Rocky Horror...

Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 05:10:42 PM »

Some friends of mine saw it this past weekend (and from what I've read hardly anyone saw it as it only pulled in 4 million over the weekend). They said it's almost like the filmmakers knew going into it how bad the script and acting was going to be and to compensate for that they just overloaded it with some of the most gloriously overwrought gore and violence that has been seen in a hard R rated movie in quite some time.

I think that Lionsgate was originally intending for this one to go direct to DVD but instead decided to try a theatrical release instead during pre-production.   

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 09:47:38 PM »

So, it's pretty much written in the stars that The Punisher can't get a decent movie then?

Shame too. 

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 11:18:31 PM »

Doesn't look like it.  But he's not the only one.  Spawn will never have a decent movie, or video game either. 
John Randal
Dedicated Viewer

The Movie Renegade

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 03:21:40 AM »

I always thought of the original Punisher movie with Dolph "I will Break You" Lungren a really good B-Movie. 

When I first heard that a new guy was playing Punisher I was kind of mad.  I thought Thomas Jane did pretty good in the role and looked the part.  Stevenson is Irish and looks looks like he is foriegn.  I thought Dolph looked more American than he does in the previews I have seen. lol

I'll have to see it and see what I think of it.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 06:52:13 AM »

Spawn will never have a decent movie, or video game either. 

I thought the Spawn movie was great!
So did Roger Ebert, who gave it 3.5 stars out of 4.  Read his review here.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 09:58:43 AM »

I always thought of the original Punisher movie with Dolph "I will Break You" Lungren a really good B-Movie. 

When I first heard that a new guy was playing Punisher I was kind of mad.  I thought Thomas Jane did pretty good in the role and looked the part.  Stevenson is Irish and looks looks like he is foriegn.  I thought Dolph looked more American than he does in the previews I have seen. lol

I'll have to see it and see what I think of it.
The Dolph movie was okay enough, but it was a B-movie. 

Shame though, cause I'd think a Punisher movie can work well if they give it enough thought.  Problem is, most people think of him as some sort of superhero, when he's really not.  People assume, "Oh, it's a comic book movie.  He's a superhero."  Then they take their kids, and he's kidnapping people, ripping off hands, blowing stuff up, and the parents are like, "Oh my lord."

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 11:09:26 AM »

So, it's pretty much written in the stars that The Punisher can't get a decent movie then?

Shame too. 

The most frustrating thing is that, if any Marvel character ever could be translated easily into film, it'd be The Punisher. It's not too hard to do. I swear, the people behind these movies must be going out of their way to eff the thing up. Ugh!

I gotta say though, I love the Dolph version, but I don't think it's a genuinely "technically" good movie. Kinda like Masters Of The Universe. Oh, that wacky Dolph Lundgren!

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 12:55:24 PM »

Doesn't look like it.  But he's not the only one.  Spawn will never have a decent movie, or video game either. 
I'm with you on that.  I think Spawn at times looked more like a music video than a movie.

As WilliamWeird put it, this shouldn't be a hard movie to pull off.  Just have lots of gritty blood and guts a la Sin City and it should sell.  Ray Stevenson is a good actor and I could easily buy him in the role.  But as always the script and the direction has to be there.  I haven't seen it but it seems to be getting panned. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
inframan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 05:42:37 PM »

I think Punisher was a good book but on film its just a guy who shoots people.
Jim H

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 01:49:55 AM »

Punisher is a fairly vapid character really.  His character is basically one-dimensional; in fact, that's the entire point. 

I did see the new movie.  I enjoyed it for what it was.  You really can't take it too seriously though.  I heard a review describe it as something like Verhoeven.  That isn't quite spot on (the gore doesn't have his wit), but I can see what they mean.  The movie has a ton of excessive gore for no real reason - the Punisher punches a guy and his head caves in for some reason at one point. 

It's also refreshing to see an action movie shot without vibrato-cam.  Solid shooting, very traditional.  The action scenes are decent, though not great.  Other than the gore, they're generally realistic as far as comic book action goes.  I also liked the relationship between Jigsaw and his brother.

As far as the director, Lexi Alexander goes..  She's actually, from what I can tell, a quite solid director.  Her short, Johnny Flynton, was nominated for Best Short at the Oscars in 2002.  And Hooligans, her previous feature, has a 7.5 on the IMDB with 25,000 votes.
Warp Ninja X
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 03:38:26 AM »

I hated the Dolph Lungren one wasted 4 bucks on that one I really like the Thomas Jane one but I don't like the new  The New Punisher he looked like one of those bad guy from Harley Davidson And The Marlbro Man.
the master
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 02:53:22 PM »

Spawn will never have a decent movie, or video game either. 

I thought the Spawn movie was great!
So did Roger Ebert, who gave it 3.5 stars out of 4.  Read his review here.

Robert ebert hated the original uncut Godzilla. and included his review in his book YOUR MOVIE SUCK. i never listend to him after that.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Punisher: War Zone" : New B-movie classic? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.