Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:34:34 PM
714217 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  A Christmas Carol, Which Version Do You Like Best? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: A Christmas Carol, Which Version Do You Like Best?  (Read 29079 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« on: December 08, 2008, 07:52:53 PM »

I'm not sure if this has ever come up but what is everyone's favorite version of A Christmas Carol?  I prefer the one starring George C. Scott that came out in 1984.    As a novelty I like Mickey' Christmas Carol which I grew up with as a kid. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 08:15:41 PM »

SCROOGE(1951) With Alistair Sim was my favorite as a kid...still is!  Smile

Small | Large
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 08:23:50 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Doctor Menard
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 08:44:38 PM »

SCROOGE(1951) With Alistair Sim was my favorite as a kid...still is!  Smile

Ditto

There is no other version.
GoHawks
Bad Movie Lover

Happiness is a dancing beagle.

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 08:45:33 PM »

I prefer the 1951 version Scrooge (aka A Christmas Carol), starring Alastair Sim.

I also have a soft spot for the 1938 version A Christmas Carol.

"Please do not offer my god a peanut."  -  Apu
Bmeansgood
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 09:03:27 PM »

I absolutely love Scrooged with Bill Murray.  I know that is probably blasphemy on this thread, but I just had to put that out there.  I haven't seen it yet this Christmas season, I better start looking for it!
JJ80
Nutter Magnet
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 09:15:57 PM »

I think the British version with Alsitair Sim is definitely the best but I didn't think that "Scrooged" was too bad at all.

There are few things more beautiful than a sporting montage with a soft-rock soundtrack
Rat-Bat-Spider
Dedicated Viewer

ICE to meet you!

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 08:15:07 AM »

To me, I would still say the most accomplished and ambitious adaptation was done in 1910 by J. Searle Dawley. If you're into silent films, this one is pretty tops. It's of course only 16-17 minutes long, breakneck pace; as if they were paying by the print. There are a couple of challenging aspects; for the most part, you are expected to know the story, each ghost gets seemingly no time to linger, and no Tiny Tim (*cough*cough). But the effects are amazing for their time, the acting is particularly good, and it really is a breath of fresh air (from 1910) compared to the now standard and complacent time-honored tradition of keeping this story as lifeless as possible. Give it a whirl. It surprises me every time I watch it.

www.cinematronica.wordpress.com
A movie review every day for an entire year. Can he handle it? Can YOU handle it?
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 08:32:07 AM »

Gotta go with Scrooged with Bill Murray.  Just good silly fun.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 10:12:15 AM »

I actually grew up with the Mr. Magoo version. I was an adult before I saw any other (except for various stage productions). Of the non-animated versions, I suppose I like the Alistair Sim version best.

But can I just say that I hate, hate, hate the reformed Scrooge "get the biggest goose they have" scene at the end? I know that's the whole point, the thing we've been leading up to, but no matter who plays Scrooge, no matter what production I see, that scene really grates my teeth like fingernails on a blackboard and it's just something I have to get through. Including in the Dickens original.

I know this makes me a terrible person. But there, I said it.
peter johnson

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 12:05:11 PM »

I on the other hand love, love, love the ending, and yes, that is the whole point.  God bless us every one & all that --

Never heard of the silent version, and I do like silent film, so will have to seek it out.

Both the wife and I can sing all the songs from the Magoo cartoon, and frequently do.  We're weird.  We especially like the grave-robbers song . . ."We're just blankety blank blank -- NO GOOD!!".

I understand there was once a stage version, wherein Frank Langella played Marley.  It gives me goose-skin just thinking about it!

Alistair Sim sort of sets the bar, but I loved George C. Scott's meat-and-potatoes interpretation, especially when he doesn't overplay the familiar lines.  I guess the only version I don't care that much for is Albert Finney's musical version, and that only because I generally do not enjoy musicals.  I was once forced to watch a staged version of the musical, and will now walk on the other side of the street when I have to pass that theatre . . . brrr . . .

peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 12:30:55 PM »

I understand there was once a stage version, wherein Frank Langella played Marley.  It gives me goose-skin just thinking about it!

Not to hijack the thread, but I've been lucky enough to see Langella on stage a couple of times, and we've been fans ever since we saw him as Salieri in "Amadeus". It's an amazing thing to see one guy in a wheelchair (toward the end of the play) fill an entire stage. His movie roles just don't convey the power of the guy.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 12:50:28 PM »

Schmendrik, I believe you may be mixing up Langella and F. Murray Abraham.

I'm not a big fan of A Christmas Carol in general, so the only version I really enjoy is Scrooged, which I attempt to watch every Christmas season.

I also like the Mr. Magoo version.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 12:51:04 PM »

I like Alistair Sim's version for the traditonal version of the story. But there are so many variations you could probably watch one a night for the entire month of December and not see them all.Hmmm, there's an idea. Scrooged is a favorite, it's freakin hilarious and has Buddy Hackett asn Ebenezer Scrooge and Marylou Retton as Tiny Tim, and who wouldn't want to date a hippie Karen Allen?

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 01:06:08 PM »

Schmendrik, I believe you may be mixing up Langella and F. Murray Abraham.

Nope. Abraham was in the movie, but Langella was definitely in the Broadway version I saw.

His credits show that he played the role from 1980 to 1983.

http://www.ibdb.com/person.php?id=15362

That entry shows that Langella was the replacement player for the production I saw. Apparently the main player for the role was Ian McKellen.

http://www.ibdb.com/person.php?id=6425
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 01:12:55 PM by schmendrik » Logged
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 09:11:39 PM »

I definitely agree the 1951 Scrooge with Alistair Sim is the best of them all. Still there's quite a few good variations out there. Have to give props to the George Scott version from 1984, Scrooged, A 28 minute animated version from 1971 that also has Alistair Sim as the voice of Scrooge, the Albert Finney musical version is kinda interesting too if you're in the mood for something a bit different and I even enjoyed the 1938 version with Reginald Owen although it's a bit lesser than most of those others mentioned.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  A Christmas Carol, Which Version Do You Like Best? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.