Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:11:04 AM
713347 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  A Christmas Carol, Which Version Do You Like Best? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: A Christmas Carol, Which Version Do You Like Best?  (Read 29021 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 10:02:30 PM »

All good choices, JASE, though I don't care for the REGINALD OWEN version (it's too "Hollywood" and hardly faithful.)  I certainly agree it's "lesser."  That animated version you refer to is superb
The 1951 ALASTAIR SIM version is the best, by far. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
wanderarbeiter
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 11:55:06 PM »

I have yet to see a version that trumps "A Muppet Christmas Carol". Everything is better with Muppets.

A Masterpiece of Low Expectations
Ozzymandias
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 02:09:18 AM »

Ozzymandias speaks: I like most versions already mentioned, but how many remember a TV special from the 70's called (I believe) Grand Ole Opry Christmas Carol with Hoyt Axton (Scrooge), Mel Tillis (Cratchet), Tom T. Hall (Marley) and Minnie Pearle (the ghost of Christmas Past). Maybe I dreamed this.

Also, there was a show called "George Burns Comedy Theater" had an episode with James Whitmore as Scrooge, who had become to loose with his money. The ghost try to turn him back around. One sequence featured Ed Begley Junior as a gay Tiny Tim filing for Chapter 11.

Scariest prophecy (for me at least) is the WKRP Christmas Carol. Johnny is the ghost of Christmas to come. He shows Mr. Carlson that in the future WKRP is just a big computer run by Herb. His sales calls are prerecorded, just like every thing else on WKRP. The radio industry hasn't started prerecording the sales calls...yet.

Ozzymandias has spoken!!!
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2008, 07:13:04 AM »

The Alastair Sim version is my favorite, followed by the musical version with Albert Finney.  I saw the Albert Finney one when I was a kid during its original theatrical run.  I thought the scene where Scrooge goes to hell and gets chained up by the guys in black hoods was sort of scary.  For several years they edited this scene out when they showed the movie on television, but I think they show it in its entirety now.  I also have the DVD and I watch it at least once every year.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 08:24:48 PM »

Muppets Christmas Carol.
There is no equal.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
bladerunnerblues
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2008, 07:21:23 PM »

The only one I will watch is Mr Magoo.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2008, 09:53:40 PM »

Another vote for SCROOGE (1951) With Alistair Sim.  And for the Muppet Christmas Carol.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2008, 07:07:51 AM »

Actually, the book is the best version.  Did anyone mention that one yet? 

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2008, 01:05:44 PM »

Patrick Stewart did a TV version for TNT back 1999 and it's a pretty good effort at the classic tale.  It was shot in England.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0216621/

Stewart also does a one man stage show where he plays all the characters.

Small | Large

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Frogger
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2009, 09:03:33 AM »

Muppets Christmas Carol.
There is no equal.

One of the most enjoyable to watch.  Drink

"We think too small, like the frog at the bottom of the well. He thinks the sky is only as big as the top of the well. If he surfaced, he would have an entirely different view."Mao. "At the risk of seeming ridiculous, let me say that the true revolutionary is guided by a great feeling of love. It is impossible to think of a genuine revolutionary lacking this quality." Ernesto Che Guevara. "A lie told often enough becomes the truth" Lenin. "Religion is the opium of the masses." Marx.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2009, 06:40:56 PM »

While I've seen most of the live action versions, and enjoyed them, my favorites are a couple of the lesser known, relatively speaking, animated versions. First . . .

"Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol'

While the voice talent--Jim Backus, Jack Cassidy, Royal Dano, June Foray, Morey Amsterdam, and the late, great Paul Frees--is quite good, what makes this one for me are the songs. There are so many types of songs, and they're mostly quite good.

There is the humor of a "Ringle, Ringle" and "We're Despicable." the sadness of "Winter Was Warm" and "Alone in the World," and the joyeousness of "The Lord's Bright Blessing." The only song that I dislike is the first song, "It's Great to Be Back on Broadway," which is sometimes cut out of the showing on TV.

All this and some nice humor, and it works as well as any of them for me.

The second is . . .

"Mickey's Christmas Carol"

Here it is the cast, which includes . . .

Scrooge as Scrooge
Donald as Scrooge's Nephew
Daisy as Belle
Mickey as Bob Cratchit
Minnie as Mrs. Cratchit
Goofy as Marley
Jiminy Cricket as the Ghost of Christmas Past
The Giant as the Ghost of Christmas Future. The one who couldn't say: "Pist- Pist- Green gravy."
Pete as the Ghost of Christmas Future
Toad as Fezziwig

All that, plus cameos by Badger; The Big Bad Wolf;  Chip 'n' Dale;  Clarabelle the Cow; Grandma Duck;  Horace Horsecollar; Huey, Dewey, and Louie; Madame Clara Cluck; Mole and Rat; The 3 Little Pigs; and The Weasels, and you have almost anybody who was anybody in a Disney cartoon.

The fun then becomes seeing how many you can remember.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2009, 10:39:59 PM »

Frankly, I prefer the book but other than that the Alsitair Sim version.

ds21
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2009, 05:30:10 PM »

Muppet Christmas Carol ;)

Seriously... that's the one I prefer.  It's sad, I know... but...

I am David
David I am

Making the world a little more random since 1989.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  A Christmas Carol, Which Version Do You Like Best? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.